Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Coolkids

Looking at the Windows 10 Insider Preview, It looks actually "decent"

I thought I would give Windows 10 a spin, and it's alright. Just alright. The Start menu is back, but it feels really hard to work with. it still has the "app" layout. I will *******ly take it over 8 any day, but there are some flaws about it I don't like.

Just for the hell of it, I got it to run on a Pentium III 450MHZ

Although I do like the addition of multiple desktops. Makes things like programming or huge office work easy as pie.

Wha??? How did that happen? I only said c.e.r.t.a.i.n.l.y. Did the profanity checker go out of whack?

Coolkids said:

Wha??? How did that happen? I only said c.e.r.t.a.i.n.l.y. Did the profanity checker go out of whack?

Fuck nah

I'm really tempted to try it out, but I figured that I'd wait a bit first; I'm worried about the issues that can come along with the initial release of a new OS.

I feel like an outcast in saying that I like Windows 8.

Its main thing is that now the Windows Store apps can run as windows along with the desktop apps. This means that developers can now choose to be Windows Store only, without losing user experience.

Might try it on a Raspberry Pi 2, if only for the novelty of getting Windows for free.

chungy said:

Did you write definately instead of definitely?

Heh - last word I had censored on these forums was AutoPlay, and I've no idea why that found its way onto the list.

chungy said:

Did you write definately instead of definitely?

(takes note of chungy's little dirty trick).

Thank you chungy <3

It's funny to see this step back. To me, Windows 10 is how they should have shipped Windows 8. There are some nice things about Windows 8 and I understand what they were going for, but people just weren't ready for that shift yet.

I used Windows 10 until they released an update that broke Active Directory, so I had to roll back to Windows 7. All I know is that you can't use Windows Classic still and that is actually the biggest reason I dislike 8.

Does it still have the hideous flat color, no blending, mismatched button sizes UI from Windows 8?

Given the number of people who claim to have OCD on the Internet these days, you'd think I wouldn't be the only one having a problem with this.

Phml said:

Does it still have the hideous flat color, no blending, mismatched button sizes UI from Windows 8?

Given the number of people who claim to have OCD on the Internet these days, you'd think I wouldn't be the only one having a problem with this.

Yes, it does. I can't speak for the OCD claim, but if it bothers you, it's still going to be present. Maybe consider getting WindowBlinds?

I'm still laughing my ass off at people crying over the start menu in 8, and the modern re-design of the windows themes. its not healthy for people to freak over such minute changes... change is normal. Windows modernized, and in some ways it started to visually resemble the desktop systems people have been using on Linux based operating systems... no big deal. It worked, and W8 also worked on 10 year old computers.

It would be Really dumb of Microsoft to turn back the clock because some people cant let go of the past... 10 seems to be worth a shot from all that i have seen from it.

I'm just a bit worried about privacy and safety against any company having its hand into the computer industry... the 10 preview once had an entire TOS clause about private data and how it could end up on Microsoft servers after a crash of the preview trough the error reporting.

Typical internet drama ;
This windows sucks with zero technical reasons given !
I don't like a theme or a button, worst windows ever !
My machine runs at mach 3 speeds... but SUX ITZ WINDOWZ.

Shane said:

Yes, it does. I can't speak for the OCD claim, but if it bothers you, it's still going to be present. Maybe consider getting WindowBlinds?

For ten bucks this seems like an ideal solution. I'll stick with 7 for as long as I can but it's nice to have a backup plan. Thanks!

FireFish said:

This windows sucks with zero technical reasons given !

Here are some technical reasons: control, conveyance, continuity, context.

(warning: shameless Yahtzee ripoff)

FireFish said:

A bit.

Technically, Windows 8 is a more refined Windows 7 and that's a good thing.

The start screen really was no different than the start menu. However, it made it more visual which I think is a good thing for less tech savvy customers. An interface is only a nitpick, and honestly, if the desktop is functional, I couldn't care less in the end. There is a technical downside in that DWM is ALWAYS running now, whereas it got turned off in Windows Basic and Classic on Windows 7. However, computers are getting so beefy now, this is hardly an issue unless you're running less than 4GB of RAM, I guess?

I was using Windows 8 since launch, went to the Windows 10 preview, but as I mentioned, they released an update that broke Active Directory. I went back to 7 for now.

I agree that Microsoft should push forward. The problem I have (and others may too) is the push also looks like a shift in soul. We're seeing what could be the end of Windows as an open platform. This could be more of a response to everyone's "cloud computing" which is something I don't necessarily care for. Again, for most consumers, this probably isn't as big of a deal, but that could be only because they maybe don't understand.

All in all, Windows is one of the most widely used OSs for a reason. Although Windows 10 appears to be backpedaling from Windows 8, I do think the idea of a unified mobile/desktop OS is still neat. All I know is I have my upgrades reserved.

FireFish said:

tl;dr windows 8 is really good

When I used Windows 8 on my laptop, My Computer became my start bar and I (had to google how to) disable the swipes and unpin (can't uninstall) the metro apps. The fact I had to do that to make my experience comfortable and usable is fucking atrocious. I'm glad I kept 7 on my PC and got an older laptop which had 7 installed on it. Windows 7 is actually comfortable to use from the get-go, only requiring my own input on aesthetics. Thank fuck I don't need to actually go into the directory to run the app I want it to.

This is Windows build 10 thousand something, so yes. There's also the rumor that there are technical reasons why MS had to skip a number - because it interferes with Win9x identification - but I don't know if there's any truth to that.

Just be thankful they didn't ask for help from XBox's marketing team, otherwise this one might have been Windows360 and the next version would be WindowsOne... for reasons.

As for "decent", they seem to run through phases of good, passable and downright shit, so maybe they're just back on track for now and the next atrocity is yet to come.

Entirely IMO and subject to controversy, but:

98: yay
ME: wtf
2000: yay
XP: meh
Vista: wtf
7: yay
8: meh

So I thought we'd be back to wtf for this one if the trend were to continue, but I'll remain cautiously optimistic as it doesn't sound too objectionable (yet).

Windows XP kicked ass! Unlike Vista, I never found the interface for XP frustrating. Everything was simple and well laid out but highly stable and visually appealing. Pretty near perfect if you ask me.

Advertisers just need to learn that if they made their commercials bizarre, surreal acid trips people would willingly watch them. It doesn't say much about the actual product, but few commercials really do.

I tried out one of those tech previews as a virtual machine. Seemed okay. But I won't migrate to another OS until Windows 7 stops doing what I need it to do.