Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Mutiny [Community Project]

Updated the resource pack to v1.2 (link in OP)

- Made some quick fixes regarding the negative vertical offsets issue.
- Removed texture METAL95 (It wasn't any good anyway)
- Removed a few music tracks that weren't supposed to be in there!
- (unrelated) Decided to stick my old avatar back on. Didn't realize I had been subconciously using it as a book mark to find my own posts in a thread.

If you're already using v1.1, the differences between the two packs should be pretty indistinguishable (unless you're using METAL95 anywhere -- not sure why you would) but textures that may have displayed incorrectly in game are corrected now.

--DISCLAIMER--

If you're interested in mapping and haven't found a partner yet, consider making a couple rooms and posting screenshots in this thread to show other mappers what you're made of! Start with a few rooms or a basic layout, post in game screenshots of what it looks like, or editor screenshots so other mappers can see what they're getting themselves into!

The best practice is to only work on tiny bits of a map at a time. Doing too much at once (Layout, detailing, thing placement, and lighting, etc.) might drive away helpers. Theres no major commitment here, do part of a map you feel like doing, let a partner do the others :)

btw I'm loving the partners that have agreed to work together so far :)

40oz said:

- Made some quick fixes regarding the negative vertical offsets issue.

BRONZE8, BRWIND09-10 and SUPP308-332 still have some. I say it in case you actually missed these ones and not just temporarily postpone their fix.

While 40oz was working on map 15, I've been working on two other levels, map 03 and map 14. Since 14 is taken I'll move it to 13, but I still claim map 03, and I would like to work on 05 and 07. If any one wants a shot at these, I'd be happy to work with any of ya'll.

EDIT: Here are some screen shots of what I've been working on.

Spoiler

Map 03

Map 13

I'd be interested in working on a map with someone else. Something with multiple paths (1 cautious, the other caution to the wind) to the exit if possible and call it 'Wildcard' ;)

After I'm done with some play throughs I'd love to work with anyone who'll work with me on a map. Preferrably a wildcard map, though I'd be cool with anything. If you want to see a good, short example of my work look up my father's day map for Job in doombuilder; zDoom in hexen format.

I'd also be willing to work as a partner with anyone who needs one for their map, don't bother me none what I do to help, as much or little as you want. :)

traversd said:

I'd be interested in working on a map with someone else. Something with multiple paths (1 cautious, the other caution to the wind) to the exit if possible and call it 'Wildcard' ;)

That sounds up my street. PM me if you'd like to discuss a collaboration further.

So what music is going to be used? I'd like to know because I use music to help think how the map will be (if not then I'll use STRAIN's map01 for it I suppose). I'd like to make a rockin' techie base map in the 01-07 slots I guess, also would anyone be willing to work with me? :s

SuperCupcakeTactics said:

So what music is going to be used? I'd like to know because I use music to help think how the map will be (if not then I'll use STRAIN's map01 for it I suppose). I'd like to make a rockin' map in the 01-05 slots I guess, also would anyone be willing to work with me? :s

I think IWAD music will be used unless there are midis composed specifically for this project. Though I think a few Strain midis would work reasonably well in this. Just a thought.

I don't know yet if I would be open to map, but I would definitely be interested in playtesting if a spot is still available :)

nxGangrel said:

working on two other levels,

Looks super cool :)

The texture pack has been updated (from the one that you're using) to have some more urban looking textures with windows and decorative trims to get a better New Orleans look that would look great in MAP03. Looks awesome otherwise!! Keep it up :)

scifista42 said:

BRONZE8, BRWIND09-10 and SUPP308-332

I think half of those i was aware of but didn't see the urgency in fixing them right away, and the others I didn't know about. Thanks for pointing them out, I'll get them fixed for the new version. I hope you wont put off mapping until the resources are totally in their final state! :P

I have no intention of deleting any more textures, and any ones that still need work will have very subtle, near unnoticeable changes. If you manage to catch any others please let me know, it would be greatly appreciated.

SuperCupcakeTactics said:

what music

For the time being, pick your favorite music from Doom 1, Doom 2, or TNT: Evilution. I'm discussing music with a few midi musicians behind the scenes about the music situation. Jimmy offered me a compilation of midi files to browse through. I'm thinking after a majority of maps are near finished, Ill appoint someone to browse through them and pick their favorite tracks that are best fit for the style of the project.

molten_ said:

interested in playtesting

I could always use more testers! Thanks for the offer, you're in! :)

You may also work on a map as well as test other peoples, so long as you don't playtest and OK your own map :P

SKIES

I know some people consider skies to be very important for the map they want. In case anyone is wondering, these are the skies that will be used in Mutiny.

MAP01-MAP11

MAP12-MAP15

MAP31

This looks really interesting. But idk yet because I'm now making a map for another project other than mine, and before to start another thing I want to have more work done on that map.

40oz said:

MAP01: Surface by (OPEN) + (OPEN)
MAP02: Shipyard by (OPEN) + (OPEN)
MAP03: Slums by (OPEN) + (OPEN)
MAP04: Downtown by (OPEN) + (OPEN)
MAP05: Warzone by (OPEN) + (OPEN)
MAP06: (wildcard) by (OPEN) + (OPEN)
MAP07: (wildcard) by (OPEN) + (OPEN)
MAP08: Compactor by (OPEN) + (OPEN)
MAP09: Construction Site by (OPEN) + (OPEN)
MAP10: Generator by (OPEN) + (OPEN)
MAP11: (wildcard) by (OPEN) + (OPEN)
MAP12: (wildcard) by (OPEN) + (OPEN)
MAP13: (wildcard) by (OPEN) + (OPEN)
MAP14: Laboratory by (OPEN) + (OPEN)
MAP15: The Brain by (OPEN) + (OPEN)
MAP31: Confrontation by (OPEN) + (OPEN)

It seems the levels are moving from low-tech (shipyard, slums...) to high-tech (Laboratory, The Brain...) is this correct?

CorsAir and I would like to create an high-tech industry level for Map06, is it ok?

Just got started, looking for partner... so uh PM me and lets see how it goes...

Spoiler

Not sure what map slot but I'd like it to be a easy-medium difficulty map

EDIT: Teamed up with scifista42

Angry Saint said:

It seems the levels are moving from low-tech (shipyard, slums...) to high-tech (Laboratory, The Brain...) is this correct?

CorsAir and I would like to create an high-tech industry level for Map06, is it ok?

Yep! With the exception of MAP01, which is the submarine deployment bay, MAP02-MAP05 are mostly urban city levels on the streets of New Orleans Lousisiana.

In more detail, despite being an American City, it has very European look to it, with some influences from Spain and France in its architecture. It's kinda unique in its cultural traits, but its also known for its celebration of Mardi Gras, and its nightlife, which includes many bars, and red light district-esque night clubs. (Also this is the future so go crazy with colorful lights and pipes and machinery!)

However, while quite beautiful otherwise, it was once ranked #1 in a list of "America's Dirtiest Cities" in 2011 and is infamous for its extreme levels of poverty stricken areas, and violent crimes, and currently ranked 21 in the most dangerous cities in the world. I thought the contrast of Doom's extreme violence and colorful scenery made New Orleans an interesting place for the beginning of Mutiny to take place.

The middle maps get a bit more industrial, with things like "Compactor" (which was named to basically be a glorified version of MAP06: The Crusher) and "Construction Site." Maps of factories with heavy machinery, large moving platforms, crushers, transforming buildings, would make ideal candidates for this section of the wad.

Towards the end the player arrives to the top secret UAC Labs installation on Earth, where the player will infiltrate the manufacturing depots that are constructing weapons and installing them prosthetically on the mutants to create their breed of Super Soldiers. Lots of colorful high-tech stuff is fitting for this particular segment of the wad.

That is very interesting, thank you!

Let's see how the map comes out!

Are teleports allowed, as existing UAC technology?

I find it interesting and a bit ironic you picked New Orleans. My dad was born in New Orleans and most of my family lives in Louisiana. lol. I figured I can put personal experienced into some of the city levels I might work on.

love those skies :)

I don't think I'd have the time to focus on a pair-up, but if anybody wants a third person to help flesh their map out further, feel free to let me know and I'd be happy to jump in and provide feedback, design some areas, or add detailing (in addition to testing everybody else's maps)

Anybody want to pair up with me? I'll map with anybody, and I'm really nice. Your choice on slot. PM me

It seems that I may be mapping with Obsidian. I kind of got the hint that he was interested via PM. Just started something but it's nowhere near the stage of being able to show anything, yet.

I got a PM from impboy, and he and I are gping to collaborate on a tech level. I don't think we settled on a slot, but that's the plan so far.

For sale: one Xaser, interested in potential partneration.

As a heads-up, I've got a few priority commitments that might cause some time constraints this month (and prolly next), but it oughtta clear up after that.

Quick question, do we have to only work in pairs? I'm currently doing a map with someone else at the moment, but I'd also like to work with the Xaserperson over there. Maybe 3 or 4 people could work on the last map or something? Just a thought.

Obsidian said:

only work in pairs?

Nein. We could have every single one of us work on a single map here if you are able to organize it, but just try not to make it too long. Fonze and I are getting to work on a layout for MAP01, and shortly after, were gonna start looking for people to spruce it up for us with some detail and lighting and stuff once we get it close to finished.