Find results in...
Aqfaq

Badass demons, big effing guns, and moving really really fast

The Doom 4 subforum description is inaccurate. It should be:

"Badass demons, big effing guns, and moving at an average speed"

Aqfaq said:

Come on now. Just because the player isn't moving 100 mph like in the old games, doesn't mean its an average speed. Besides, still faster than most shooters these days.

Aqfaq said:

I have noticed that mostly only new Doomworlders or the ones who don't post here often have this kind of attitude. I wonder why, if anything it should be the other way around. The reactions of the more active users have been a lot more balanced. You do realize that this is an E3 presentation right? The player was moving at a lower speed to show the visuals.

"Bruce Lee on a skate board with a shotgun" is a lot catchier.

It was an E3 demonstration, the player probably moved deliberately slowly to make it look cinematic and stuff.

It's kind of a dumb and contradictory move when you brag about how fast your game is, though. I guess we'll know when the Beta pops up.

kelliegator said:

It was an E3 demonstration, the player probably moved deliberately slowly to make it look cinematic and stuff.

Sorry, I find this claim too hard to believe and take as a reassurance.

The description is meant to troll those of us who disagree. You just took the bait.

scifista42 said:

I know, in this day and age gamers are lied to on a near constant basis, just suggestion the possibility that the game really is fast.

I mean, I'm really looking forward to this game but as a gamer I'm TERRIFIED of the people publishing them, too scared to believe anything at face value. D:

kelliegator said:

I know, in this day and age gamers are lied to on a near constant basis, just suggestion the possibility that the game really is fast.

I mean, I'm really looking forward to this game but as a gamer I'm TERRIFIED of the people publishing them, too scared to believe anything at face value. D:

First, I don't see what the publisher has anything to do with this, considering it's the producer saying these things, not someone from the publisher.

How often has id software lied to us? They've always been pretty solid in my book. The worst controversy they've had was AMD botching their OpenGL drivers making Rage unplayable for a while. Not really their fault. There isn't a reason to be this skeptical with a studio that's been so consistent for as long as they have.

Obzen said:

How often has id software lied to us? They've always been pretty solid in my book.

I don't think they're lying about anything, but I think when talking about their new game, id is as prone to exaggeration and overpromotion as any game company is. Everyone always talks about how amazing new feature X is, and how everyone inside the company loves it, and it opens up whole new gameplay vistas, etc.

The one major difference with this game, compared to basically every previous game, is that John Carmack is not there to act as a sort of hype counterbalance. With every previous game, they would always trot Carmack out to talk about it late in the development cycle, and because of his matter-of-fact nature and unfirable status, he would give no-bullshit answers about the game and its technology. But now the executive producer or whoever can talk about Snapmap and how it's amazing and revolutionary and will set the world on fire and let you do anything, and there's no tempering of that by acknowledging its limitations, or comparisons to the Timesplitters level editors, or what have you.

scifista42 said:

Hofmann said:

Looks pretty fast to me, the part at 0:17 is like Quake 3 Arena fast.

There's always the possibility they used the logic editor to up the player speed, but if that's the case at least we can look forward to many a Sanic Deathmatch server.

I think it looks fast-moving. Maybe not really really fast but likely fast enough to feel like you own the space, especially combined with the parkour moves. I'm optimistic, but I wouldn't count on it being faster outside of the game being demoed. Unless they decide the current build is to slow and increase the speed.

Linguica said:

With every previous game, they would always trot Carmack out to talk about it late in the development cycle, and because of his matter-of-fact nature and unfirable status, he would give no-bullshit answers about the game and its technology.

His QuakeCon talk on Rage is amazing in this regard. He points out the shortcomings of the engine in incredible detail--before it launched! The PR people must have been having heart attacks.

https://youtu.be/4zgYG-_ha28?t=7m35s

It's all about the balance of projectile speed/player speed.Hell, Serious Sam was fucking slow, but it required a surprising amount of area awareness to deal with the situations thrown at the player. The beastiary + weapon set is much more important to me than the speed. If it's balanced well around the speed they end up going with for doom guy it'll be a fun game.

Plus I think people always think of a top speed that includes strafe-running from the original dooms (I wouldn't be opposed to being able to straferun!).

It is what it is, and we don't know what we don't know.

Until it's in your hands, on your screen, and you're playing it... take it with a grain of salt.

Not saying it's bad. In fact, it visually looks very good. But a lot of their onstage showboating and seemingly exaggerated overenthusiasm is just that... hyping up the next big cash cow. Nothing more, nothing less. They're definitely not going to stand up there and say "Ahhh, this sucks, worst thing we've ever made. Don't play it.". No, they are going to do what any corporate PR and event would do... sugarcoat even the simplest things to make it sound like it cures cancer, too.