Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

I STILL liked Doom before it was mainstream

I haven't seen this much bush and gore in one place since that election. Dang autocorrect.

One thing I like about Doom is it encourages you to explore and make mental notes of areas you've been in in case there's some ammo or health that you can't pick up at that moment but that you might need later on. Some have said that one downside to Doom's static health is you're screwed if you allow one too many hits on you and then your health is too low to reasonably continue but, if you remember running past a medikit or two that you didn't need at the time, suddenly you have a good sporting chance of facing the next horde.

Beyond that, there are secret areas you can hunt for if you need a little boost or if you're just a completionist. There's even some good strategy to an extent, like luring monsters to crusher ceilings or explosive barrels, getting them in a good spot to get telefragged, or just getting them to fight each other. It's easy to see Doom as a mindless first person shooter but there's actually a bit of room for doing things methodically to maximize your chance of survival. Even deciding which weapon to use and managing your ammo can be taken into consideration since, while that more powerful weapon can do the job more easily, maybe you want to save it until you really need it.

geo said:

I haven't seen this much bush and gore in one place since that election. Dang autocorrect.

Don't forget nudity.

Cause the Cyberdemon doesn't wear pants.

SlashBane said:

Gore is pretty stupid and overdone.

This is coming from someone who likes old gory games.

^^This

The chainsaw executions and standard fatalities I can do without because it reminds me of a certain overhyped, overrated gore mod.

I'm quite pleasantly surprised to see game journalists commenting on mods such as Suspended in Dusk or Going Down. I was certain that the only mods they'd ever notice are
1. Brutal Doom
2. Instadoom
3. etc. other novelty mods of the "play for five minutes, get bored" variety
4. Some kid's two-bit overscripted ZDoom mod which caught the eye of a journalist who barely knows of the Doom community, and doesn't know that such a thing is nothing special

Glaice said:

^^This

The chainsaw executions and standard fatalities I can do without because it reminds me of a certain overhyped, overrated gore mod.

Traditional gibbing with a little blood left behind kind of like in Quake 3 Arena is fine enough for me.

Linguica said:

Rude. InstaDoom got boring in more like 2 minutes

That's 2 minutes longer than D2INO.

To be Honest, Most of the big game journalist sites were a bit too lazy to even do research on Doom modding and the community it has.

I still haven't decided if I'm not bothered by the fact the media is hyped and exploiting DOOM at random now that DOOM 4 is on a set schedule, or I'm skeptical of all these articles and journalists being nothing more just fly-by-night, fair-weather friends. I think i'm a least a little angered of all the guff they gave id software while Doom 4 was barely clinging to life some years back, and now all hopping on their balls because of how badass it looks.

Guess it's all part of the nostalgiac hype train, and any news is seemingly good publicity, but whether it helps or hurts it in the long run... not sure yet.

A lot of people just get paid $20 - $50 to slap an article up on a website. There are websites to sell your articles, then the big sites just buy them. Of course some places still have staff writers that steal articles and twist them their own way rather than paying for some freelancer.

I've started taking writing reviews seriously and two people representing larger sites have offered to purchase my articles / reviews. One of them had a catch though, I couldn't say I did it. I'd write for him to say he did it. He said he's a staff writer and he couldn't keep up with the quality that his boss wanted so now he pays 4 people to write for him. The review thing feels like work so I've stopped doing it.

"Ought to be worksafe"

Immediately I see an image at the top of the page of a woman taking her shirt off captioned "This week in sex"

To be fair with Playboy you know what you're getting into so it's not a complaint just a thing I noticed.