Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spike

The Underworld Cometh

Well, we're nearly at our first marker point... the first episode of 'The Underworld' megawad for Doom II(Jdoom 1.13 required) is nearing completion :

Episode I - Hades' Curse
map01 - Portal of Hades (complete)
map02 - Blood Keep (complete)
map03 - River Phlegethon (complete)
map04 - Lethe (complete)
map05 - Depths of Cocytus (complete)
map06 - Summit of Acheron (complete)
map07 - Valley of Styx (to be started)
map08 - Haunted Shores (in progress)
map09 - Cerebus' Gates (complete)
map10 - Palace of Hades (complete).

We've also got a few of the next levels planned out :

Episode II - Hades' Legacy
map11 - Mount Olympus
map12 - Athens General (Hospital)
map13 - Toxicity
map14 - The Docklands
map15 - Anarchy in the U.K.
map16 - Temple of the Druids
(more to come...)

Maps 1-5 are available at my site ( http://www.reznor.demon.co.uk ).
Let me know what you think, people...

How many people are working on this project with you, just out of curiosity?

I was just gonna ask that...
The team for my Underworld project is kinda weak, (not in quality, quantity), consisting of SlayeR and I, with an every so often email from inferno_45 with a new midi. I'm kinda pissed cuz all of the original maps that I made for it need a lot of fixing up.
Well, good luck to you, I'm glad to see an "Underworld" project doing well. I wanna see at least one survive...

I've been thinking about that, but our projects are two VERY different things. First of all the port, he uses Jdoom, I use Zdoom. Also, the theme is very different. I'm going for your average megawad, but with new enemies and things like that. (take STRAIN for example) He has a more general (and consistant i think) theme. We've already talked before through email, and I think we've decided that these are very different projects, and we are trying to get the two not confused among the "public". (getting kinda hard to do)

Archvile64 said:

How many people are working on this project with you, just out of curiosity?

I'll answer for Spike. I believe it's just him and his wife working on it.

Heh, yes, we do need more help with the Underworld (Lazer's) project. Lazer is pretty much doing it all himself at the moment, since I have about a million other things to work on as well :/

For instance, leately I have started working on my Uactec project a lot. Now I only have about 3 and a half more levels to make for it before I release it.

I also have my MaimTown project to do, my EDGE one (although it isn't a high priority at the moment), MIDI music for the Hellcore project... also add to that schoolwork, website work...

Yo - would have answered sooner, but we were out at 9pm last night and didn't get home til about 5am (Krazyhouse club all-nighter and all :)).
Ok... yep it's just me and my wife (Jay) working on the maps so far. We're taking a level each - at the minute, she's doing 'Haunted Shores' and i'm about to start 'Valley of Styx'.
One of the reasons we didn't want others working on it (no offence to anyone else) is that we know pretty much exactly what we're doing with the levels as we come up with them - and we don't wanna stray from those visions. I've got tonnes of map sketches on paper lying round the two PCs.

I've just been looking over map06 (Summit of Acheron), and i was wondering if the old term, 'Bigger is Better' applies here.
This screenshot was taken from WinDEU 5.9 with a grid of 256...

http:\\reznor.demon.co.uk\acheron.jpg

It's got some good architecture (imho), not to mention some nasty bastard traps... but is this kinda map just too big? I don't wanna go making a few of these if no-one's willing to play thru em.

I don't know if it's just me that is blind but there seems to be a lack of weapons (but certainly not ammo) on the later levels. I know you might state that the levels were meant to be played in succession, but many doomers might want to be able to play any level from a fresh start. Then it's a terrible pity to find all those good rockets while you have no rocket launcher to use them.

My advice is that you put a few weapons into some of the already existing ammo caches in the later levels to make them playable from pistol start.

A thing I must note myself if I ever start editing for jdoom:

Imps look damn sexy in blue light!

I was actually thinking bout that last night while i was looking over map06 and map09. Consider it done - after all, it'd make for a dull deathmatch otherwise...

These maps are most definitly focused around single-player mode - however, i've added deathmatch and co-op starting points so that, if you want, you can have a blast thru em.

I think map06 is a bit big for deathmatch anyway.

Oh man, i'm getting killed playing my own maps! mwahahaha etc.

Is it just me that is slow or have you released a new version of Underworld Spike?

People seems to be referring to level 9 a lot and the version I found on your homepage only goes to level 5.

You mean in the guard towers?
Heh, they're replaced by Revenants in later skill levels :)

Little Faith said:

Is it just me that is slow or have you released a new version of Underworld Spike?

People seems to be referring to level 9 a lot and the version I found on your homepage only goes to level 5.

It's weird the way we've done it... but here we go :
Maps 1-5 are 'released'. Maps 06, 09 and 10 are finished (Doom II guy is playtesting 06, and i'll send him 9 and 10 in a bit).

The next time i update the zipfile on the site will be when all ten are finished, as i don't want to get into the habit of releasing them one at a time. Think of 1-5 as a 'taster'...

Why thank you ; i shall make sure that 06-10 are properly seasoned :)

Heh, did you mean the blue torches on map04(Lethe)?
Yeah, i gotta admit they looked cool. Jay (my wife) built most of that map, then asked me to spruce it up. I added a few traps, secrets, nasty-bastard surprises, but the best was the torches.

Gotta love the way the demons get illuminated in those long corridors when the pass blue flame!

I already said that I thought imps looked sexy in blue light.

What parts of the level did Vampirajay do and what parts are your work?

I would like to know because am interested in knowing your and Jay's "editing style".

Let's see...
01 - me and me alone, mwaahahah!
02 - mainly jay, i added the extra teleporting creatures for the tournament room, plus the library room with the red key. i also built the pentagram.
03 - me
04 - jay build most of the map, i built the key traps, then added decoration
05 - we both worked on this on paper, and i created on screen.

Well what you see in map02 is pretty much hers entirely. anything i built was on her instructions.

map09 (Cerebus' Gates) is Jay's too, without input from me. It'll be ready to download as soon as 07 and 08 are done.

Woohoo! Now if only other people could recognize your great work. Just wait until you upload it to newstuff, many people will play it.

*grins bashfully* dya think so? :)

I wonder... dya reckon i should upload the first 5 to newstuff? I'd kinda be doing Jaakko Kerenan a favour, as if people want to play it they'd be going to his site to d/load Jdoom...

Honestly, I don't think you should. If you do that, you'd almost have to make a new episode so to speak, because downloading the same thing over and over just to get an updated version is no good. Be pacient to release everything, and i'm playing your levels again as I write this.

Thanks for the advice dudey, i shall wait til the first episode is complete.