Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  

Judging by the screenshots, your level design looks terrible, to be honest. The contrast of hi-res textures, effects and custom sprites with bland, blocky, monotextured, flat and/or oversized rooms makes it even worse. Thing placement looks totally random instead of purposeful. I can only imagine this being a chore to play through. I would recommend you to take a look at some good modern-day custom maps, to see what good architecture and gameplay is about.

scifista42 said:

Judging by the screenshots, your level design looks terrible, to be honest. The contrast of hi-res textures, effects and custom sprites with bland, blocky, monotextured, flat and/or oversized rooms makes it even worse. Thing placement looks totally random instead of purposeful. I would recommend you to take a look at some good modern-day custom maps, to see what good architecture and gameplay is about.

Thanks man, to be honest I really haven't tried a lot of modern maps. I've mostly been playing Alien Vendetta, UAC Ultra etc. etc.

Thanks for the advice.

Quick Edit: I feel like the screenshots don't really do the second level justice, but then I again I could be biased. Remember to ask if you want to try it out for yourself.

scifista42 said:

Judging by the screenshots, your level design looks terrible, to be honest. The contrast of hi-res textures, effects and custom sprites with bland, blocky, monotextured, flat and/or oversized rooms makes it even worse. Thing placement looks totally random instead of purposeful. I can only imagine this being a chore to play through. I would recommend you to take a look at some good modern-day custom maps, to see what good architecture and gameplay is about.

Can you make any recommendations for which wads I could try out?

Hey man, I'll give it a shot in about a week if you fix two things for me:
First, put it up on a server that doesn't require me to log in/sign up to download.
Second, post up links to the mods that are necessary so I don't have to search for them.

Looking forward to giving this a go :)

*Edit* spell check >.<

Fonze said:

Hey man, I'll give it a shot in about a week of you fix two things for me:
First, put it up on a server that doesn't require me to log in/sign up to download.
Second, post up links to the mods that are necessary so I don't have to search for them.

Looking forward to giving this a go :)

You shouldn't need to login. Just click on the free download button and make sure you untick download accelerator.

The original post said the recommended mods are included in the download.

File size 370 MB...

AwesomeO-789 said:

RECOMMENDED MODS (ALL INCLUDED IN THE DOWNLOAD):
-Project Brutality (The wad was designed with this in mind, and I find it to make the wad more challenging. Kinda like brutal doom but with more features)

-Ultimate Doom Visor HUD (works perfectly with project brutality)

-GZDOOM SOURCE PORT

-Zdoom Launcher

You don't need to put all this stuff, just your wad. The people will play the wad on a zdoom based port if you tell that the wad requires zdoom. Not everyone uses mods and they may not be interested in download them. And also many people already have those mods.

gaspe said:

File size 370 MB...

You don't need to put all this stuff, just your wad. The people will play the wad on a zdoom based port if you tell that the wad requires zdoom. Not everyone uses mods and they may not be interested in download them. And also many people already have those mods.

Fine, I'll upload just the wad then.

Yeah man, I double checked it, and I do need to sign in. At least on my phone.

Also, I'm very busy and doing other Doom stuff. I don't mind looking those two mods up, but it's just gonna push this further down the priority list. I got maps to build and play throughs to do, and that's just for this one hobby. Not to mention play throughs consisting of multiple maps that may or may not have massive amounts of enemies.

This looks fairly short, so I could squeeze it in one night real quick, ahead of the longer play throughs. But when I weigh out a longer play through vs looking up some mods, getting the stuff right, and then playing this; I'd just rather play something that might be longer right away.

Not trying to be a d*ck, but we're all busy people and I know some are busier/lazier than I am. If you want many people to try this, make it as user-friendly and idiot-proof as possible.

*Edit* strange word to be censored... Fixed with "massive"

Fonze said:

Yeah man, I double checked it, and I do need to sign in. At least on my phone.

Also, I'm very busy and doing other Doom stuff. I don't mind looking those two mods up, but it's just gonna push this further down the priority list. I got maps to build and play throughs to do, and that's just for this one hobby. Not to mention play throughs consisting of multiple maps that may or may not have massive amounts of enemies.

This looks fairly short, so I could squeeze it in one night real quick, ahead of the longer play throughs. But when I weigh out a longer play through vs looking up some mods, getting the stuff right, and then playing this; I'd just rather play something that might be longer right away.

Not trying to be a d*ck, but we're all busy people and I know some are busier/lazier than I am. If you want many people to try this, make it as user-friendly and idiot-proof as possible.

*Edit* strange word to be censored... Fixed with "massive"

Alright, I'll upload to MediaFire then. That is if I can get manage to even fucking login. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Both links are the same (Test Enemies.wad, same file size, 566.86 mb), but if "test monsters" is the wad, I'll go looking for the mods here in a few days, maybe a week. Be patient and at least I won't forget about you. Others I cannot speak for.

This might be inappropriate, but I would advise you to take on a more humble approach to this. The impatient tone of your writing and the stuff you've presented isn't going to blow anyone over in awe around here. I'm not trying to be a dick here, take this as word of advice.

Chris Hansen said:

This might be inappropriate, but I would advise you to take on a more humble approach to this. The impatient tone of your writing and the stuff you've presented isn't going to blow anyone over in awe around here. I'm not trying to be a dick here, take this as word of advice.

Yeah man, I understand. I'm just naturally an impatient prick, can't help it. The three levels together take MAYBE 10 minutes. I didn't mean for it to be the final thing, just a sort of demo to show the community what I'm doing and see if it's any good or not. Like I said, the wad is pretty short so I expect someone to reply quickly.

AwesomeO-789 said:

I'll let a maximum of 5, MAYBE 7 people depending on how big this thread gets, download the wad. Leave a message asking for the link and I'll PM you. First come first serve.

What in the world?

This thread most definitely wasn't a bad idea. But your rash attitude could use some changes for the better. No offence, please.

Listen to scifista, he's right.
This thread was a good idea, but patience is a virtue. As long as this post doesn't get sent to post-Hell, which is looming in the distance (I'd guess), I'll still give this a shot and let you know what I think.

I can't speak for others, but I certainly dont care if it's finished or still a WIP. Also, it would have helped you to have put 10 minutes in the OP. People like short. It's easy to make time for.

As for the mods; if you recommend them, imo, you should post links to them. Of course that doesn't stop anyone from trying it out without the mods and letting you known what they think, but if you want a review that will be accurate and relevant with respect to the mods, it helps to make it as easy as possible. Most people won't want to look up a mod(s) just to play with this one map. Make it easy, and a quick couple clicks and download aren't so bad.

Not trying to say that you are, but of course it is a general life lesson that when corners are cut (even if unknowingly), things tend to go wrong.

I hope you reconsider keeping this thread up long enough to get some reviews, I'd still like to do it.

Just go with the flow man. There are a lot worse threads on DW than this one (I know what I'm talking about), but you seem to be either manic about something or depressive about another. No need to fluctuate. Take the learning experience as it comes. Slow down. Use a search engine to help you. Open up good wads in a map editor and modify them. Move the things around and change the sector properties. Understand how line triggers work, all of them, even in an experiment situation first before you actually add them to your real level. That will help. Not everything you draw is your final draft fit for distribution. When I was a newbie, I was always afraid to make a mistake. Mistakes are really good because they reflect the way you are trying.

AwesomeO-789 said:

Fuck it. This thread was a bad idea. Might as well delete it if I have the permissions to.

Closing the thread is an option, but then you'd no longer receive potentially useful feedback for your wad.