Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Avoozl

Voice actors who you've grown tired of hearing in video games

For me one would have to be Steve Blum, he seems to have been in so many games I have played already and I have just grown tired of hearing his voice.

I never really notice anyone that isn't already famous.

Other than that, the Elder Scrolls cast of 12 voices for thousands of people.

The beggar voice in Oblivion that turns into a happy and proper person when you ask them a question.

Troy Baker and Jennifer Hale. Both because they can only do one voice, and Troy especially since he outed himself as an annoying cunt during the making of Silent Hill HD Collection.

Mr. Freeze said:

Troy Baker and Jennifer Hale. Both because they can only do one voice

That's basically close to the same reason why I'm tired of Steve Blum.

Steve Blum was the first person to come to mind when I saw the title of this thread.

If I can expand the criteria to voice actors from other media, Monica Rial and Greg Ayres seem to be in nearly every anime dub, and they're pretty nearly always instantly recognizable because they always do the exact same voice. I don't know if I'm "tired of hearing them", though, it's more just that I laugh every time one of their characters opens their mouth, regardless of whether it's otherwise warranted.

Matthew Mercer. Every game he's voice acted in just makes me think Leon from RE6 is in the game.

And trust me he's been in quite a few games

Nearly every single voice in any Bethesda RPG. They hire famous people who are out of their element or phoning it in, and then they use the remains of their budget to have four people say the same lines. You have four guys playing merchants. Having them record identical lines is insane! What kind of monkey-brained n00b drunkard does a thing like that???

I'm also sick of all the same-sounding male protagonist voices. Can we have characters from somewhere other than southern California?

Any female narrator ever.

Hating women I can get, but hating women's voices... You are weird.

I'm also sick of all the same-sounding male protagonist voices. Can we have characters from somewhere other than southern California?

Use dubs from another language, keep English subs to understand the story. Fun and educational.

Reminds me of when I was a kid and I would screw around with the language options in the PS1 version of Rayman 2 just to hear what all the different languages sounded like.

Phml said:

Hating women I can get, but hating women's voices... You are weird.

Kind of goes against biology, doesn't it? Then again, that's an established pattern with AndrewB, isn't it.

Clearly I don't play enough VA'd games to get tired of a particular voice. I have noticed, however, that lots of VAs don't know the difference between outside and inside voices. There's a particular mission in Skyrim that bothers the shit out of me because as we're sprinting and fighting across wilderness, this character is talking like we're having a fireside chat.

Bucket said:

Clearly I don't play enough VA'd games to get tired of a particular voice. I have noticed, however, that lots of VAs don't know the difference between outside and inside voices. There's a particular mission in Skyrim that bothers the shit out of me because as we're sprinting and fighting across wilderness, this character is talking like we're having a fireside chat.

That's probably on Bethsoft's end though. Voice acting is typically recorded as "neutral" to make re-recorded lines fit seamlessly as possible- otherwise you'd wind up with a character having different inflections and tones in a single convo.

Tom Kane. I actually like the way his voice sounds, but it's always the same. He did a lot of work for Star Wars, so you end up having a variety f characters who sound like the same guy. Even when he speaks in alien gibberish, you can tell it's him. It'd be better if he could change or mask it better, just so every one of his characters doesn't sound like the same guy talking.

^Doomguy has like 3 sounds only (pain, death, xdeath), and yet I'm not tired of hearing them repeated. He must be good.

Yeah Doomguy is great but you know who really gets on my tits? Gordon Freeman. That asshole's voice just constantly annoys me.

Seriously though it legitimately annoyed me when he didn't fucking talk to anyone who was talking to him it was just like wow rude

In my imaginary game design company, one of the rules are "if you even think about hiring a voice actor for our game, you're fired."

Show, dont tell.

scifista42 said:

^Doomguy has like 3 sounds only (pain, death, xdeath), and yet I'm not tired of hearing them repeated. He must be good.

Don't forget the "mmhm" sound he makes when pressing stuff.

Only time I find it to be an annoyance is when the actor is reading/running lines rather than hitting the beats and conveying actual emotion and intent behind the words.

It's an immersion killer for me. It's another reason I can't stand ADR anime/foreign movie english dubs. You lose the original character. I rather hear the original language and hear the emotion behind it, rather than some cringey monotone dub.

40oz said:

In my imaginary game design company, one of the rules are "if you even think about hiring a voice actor for our game, you're fired."

Show, dont tell.

"Dear Mario, please come to the castle. I have baked a cake for you.

Yours truly, Princess Toadstool

Peach"

And even then, plot = 0

I grow tired of the english anime game dubs, they aren't good enough and also some translations are so bad that i prefer original japanese, theres more power put into the characters and they are less annoying.

I haven't "grown tired" of any voice actors at the moment, but I do wanna hear Nicholas Cage start voice acting for games. Imagine Cod:Bo3 staring Nick Cage haha.

nxGangrel said:

I do wanna hear Nicholas Cage start voice acting for games.

I just want to see him start acting instead of whatever it is he does when he is in front of the cameras.

Enjay said:

I just want to see him start acting instead of whatever it is he does when he is in front of the cameras.

Phoning it in to pay his taxes.

Enjay said:

That's what makes him funny imo. I wonder what a regular day is like for cage.

nxGangrel said:

That's what makes him funny imo. I wonder what a regular day is like for cage.

Something like this.

I really don't think his day-to-day life is that much different to his on-camera nonsense.