Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Teafromprivy

How to change stats of vanilla weapons on oblige?

Oblige generates maps automatically, but it doesn't generate gameplay mods. You need to do it yourself via making a DEHACKED patch (in WhackEd editor), DECORATE patch (text-based script, ZDoom-only) or another port-specific script language, or import existing custom DEHACKED/DECORATE made by someone else into your wad. Also, beware of what you call "my own mod". If you only let Oblige generate "your" maps, and/or if you only import "your" DEHACKED/DECORATE/sprites/etc made by someone else, then it's barely "your own mod". Feel free to experiment with actual map editor like Doom Builder 2 or GZDoom Builder.

It actually doesn't matter what their damage value is. Ammo pickups don't deal any impact damage. Only projectiles (and Lost Souls) do so. And damage of ammo pickups has no effect on the damage dealt by a weapon using this ammo.

Another question, how would I get dehacked files working with oblige? Does it do it automatically or do I need to do something else to get it to load?

Teafromprivy said:

Another question, how would I get dehacked files working with oblige? Does it do it automatically or do I need to do something else to get it to load?

Oblige just makes maps. You load the bex files to your port for the mod to apply. Regardless of using oblige maps, downloaded maps or the stock ones.

The thing that confuses me is oblige makes a new wad for each generated map/level. When I create a new WhackEd patch should I pick the wad for the new .wad that Oblige made or doom2.wad?

Use Doom2.wad. Whacked changes the properties from Doom 2, but it doesn't do anything related to the levels.

Oblige generates a wad file that only contains levels in it. The dehacked patch should modify other things in the game. You can run both the wad file and dehacked file together with Doom 2.

I hope that answered your question.

Teafromprivy said:

how would I get dehacked files working

Get SLADE3 (wad content editor). Open your wad. Create an empty lump and name it "DEHACKED". Then import the .deh patch into the lump, and save the wad. Most Doom source ports will apply this embedded patch to the whole wad when it's played.

Alternatively, load the .wad and .deh together via a command line or a wad launcher. From command line, it would be something like:

<source_port_name> -iwad doom2.wad -file <wadname>.wad -deh <dehname>.deh

40oz said:

Use Doom2.wad. Whacked changes the properties from Doom 2, but it doesn't do anything related to the levels.

Oblige generates a wad file that only contains levels in it. The dehacked patch should modify other things in the game. You can run both the wad file and dehacked file together with Doom 2.

I hope that answered your question.

So oblige basically uses everything from Doom2.wad beside levels?