Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Good tools for midi -> sheet music?

I'd like to pick up piano again after like 8 years and I want to play some pwad songs for fun like eternity e2m4. What are some good tools for converting them to sheet music? Do you midi musicians use something like that?

iirc Anvil Studio can diplay (and edit) things in notation form as you work, so there is that to look into!

The only problem I see here is that while you might be able to print out the notes, what you'll get might not necessarily result in a playable arrangement. E.g. the lead melody may be split accross several tracks, or accompaniments/chords may not be playable with your instrument of choice.

Guitar Pro does do a degree of note positioning/timing "correction" if it isn't properly fitted to a sheet structure. You may end with something slightly wrong, but the notes themselves have always been right (for me) so it's occasionally just a matter of learning the timing yourself, which in my opinion is the "easier half" of learning from a broken ass MIDI to GP5 conversion ;)

Sibelius is similar to Guitar Pro, in case you cant get GP to work. I reccommend GP5 specifically as 6 seemed kinda hard to use.. Oh, and make sure you look for a .gp5 file of the tune you want before falling back on the MIDI anyway. ultimate-guitar.com has lots of band AND video game music to choose from.

Hope this helps you man :)

GP6 works fine. I think it's probably easier than something like Finale which has a pretty steep learning curve. Also if you get GP6 you can get a bunch of extra stuff like sounds and modules from the company that you might not have access to if you go with an older version.