Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Diversity,the name says everything.
Diversity is a 25 level megawad of which each five levels have a very different theme,level design,difficulty and gameplay,making 5 different themes.
The map themes will be,in order:

Medieval
Urban
Industrial
Elemental (Open fields,volcanos,rivers,mountains...)
Hellish

All in plain and old Doom II,no modifications what so ever.
This is my second serious attempt to make a wad,and my first to make a megawad,so far,no progress has been made,only some drafts for levels.(My previously announced James Bond and "Giant Garden" levels will be here)

Now onto the style of each chapter:
Medieval:
-Small,but very detailed levels,pretty easy,revolves around keys and switch puzzles,and backtracking.
Urban:
-Places like banks,buildings,offices and even entire streets with all buildings being explorable
-Large,medium detail,a lot of exploring for keys,there will be a lot of monsters,pretty difficult,and a lot of secret areas.
Industrial:
-Medium,low detail,the main focous of this is to get trought a bunch of enemies,not tough ones,but in numbers,and solving a lot of puzzles,difficulty will vary from stupidly easy to insanely hard,based on the puzzles.
Elemental:
-Very large levels,ridiculous ammount of detail and effort to make,you will be in grass lands,volcanoes,rivers,caves,mountains and other awesome places,no puzzles,just explore the levels,there are no keys so that "GIVE ALL" doesn't work,locked places are unlocked by switches,this part will be pretty hard.
Space:
Hellish:
-It is inferno,very hard,bunch of strong monsters,few puzzles,keys or switches,just focused on exploration and killing,medium levels with a lot of detail.

The project will require ports derivated from Zdoom because of 3d objects and jumping segments.Again,nothing will be imported,everything is vanilla.

Give me your toughts!I really want to make a good megawad and make you happy,i will try my best to do everything you ask,i will frequently post demos,videos,screenshots and changelogs here.Go on!Tell me what you think!

sesalpinogamer said:

The project will require ports derivated from Zdoom because of 3d objects and jumping segments.Again,nothing will be imported,everything is vanilla.

3d - the new vanilla. Nice!

Please wait until you have something to show before posting a thread about your new WAD.

Also keep in mind that creating a megawad is an enormous investment of time and labor. As a new mapper, it would probably be wiser to release some individual maps first and get feedback on them. If you really still want to make a megawad after that, you'll at least be going into it with more experience and understanding of what goes into making a map.

Let's answer stuff:
3D is tecnically vanilla,because it was added later to the engine in games like hexen.
Yes,it will be 100% compatible with brutal doom
I know about the time and investment,i will not start working on this until i am good on map making.

sesalpinogamer said:

3D is tecnically vanilla,because it was added later to the engine in games like hexen.

That's not what we refer to as "vanilla", though. Vanilla = playable in the vanilla Doom engine executable (Doom.exe v1.9), without a sourceport or essential engine modification like Heretic/Hexen/Strife executables were. 3D was never "added" to vanilla Doom engine.

However, you've probably (?) meant to say that only stock IWAD resources will be used - like textures, sounds, monsters - if so, that's fine.

i will not start working on this until i am good on map making.

Then you shouldn't have created this thread yet, there's no point. Nobody can give you feedback, because mere words don't and cannot tell anything about actual appeal of your work.

rdwpa said:

Will it work with Brutal Doom?!

I hope he deliberately adds in this line of code that stops you loading up any version of Brutal Doom alongside this one.

Okay,now it IS doom itself,GZDoom Builder is mad at me and won't allow me to make 3D constructs without screwing them up.Also,i am making the first map now,so you can test it,it will be pretty hard because i am to lazy to balance it right now.

Why is it that new mappers almost always start with ZDoom mapping? :\

AD_79 said:

Another would be, why would they start with a big project?

Impboy4 said:

Another would be, why would they start with a big project?

It is just me,i tend to start with something like a profissional megawad instead of a crappy level...

rdwpa said:

Will it work with Brutal Doom?!

Hahaha the million dollar question... Not because it's thats great of a question, but because it's just that damned funny.

From sesalpinogamer:

Also,i am making the first map now,so you can test it,it will be pretty hard because i am to lazy to balance it right now.

... Wtf dude?

AD_79 said:

because its the best map format and it's really easy to understand.

Because it has cool features like 3D FLOORS and POLYOBJECTS and SCRIPTS and POLYMONSTERS and POLYMANCUBUSES, like duh, and if you don't think ZDOOM is the best you're Hitler.

Cyberdemon531 said:

because its the best map format

Sorry, that's Boom. Boom allows for many things that vanilla mapping can't, without breaking the rules of Doom engine behavior in the process, unlike Zdoom. It also does away with irritating technical limits such as visplane overflow, but doesn't introduce needlessly complex and artificial elements the way Zdoom does. So I'm siding with Skillsaw on this issue.

@Sesailpinogamer: just like the others said, don't advertise if you don't have a product to show. I'm also on board with Fonze's reaction to your comment about your own laziness. Or, in other words, acknowledging that you suck is no excuse to keep sucking.

Budoka said:

Sorry, that's Boom. Boom allows for many things that vanilla mapping can't, without breaking the rules of Doom engine behavior in the process, unlike Zdoom. It also does away with irritating technical limits such as visplane overflow, but doesn't introduce needlessly complex and artificial elements the way Zdoom does. So I'm siding with Skillsaw on this issue.

@Sesailpinogamer: just like the others said, don't advertise if you don't have a product to show. I'm also on board with Fonze's reaction to your comment about your own laziness. Or, in other words, acknowledging that you suck is no excuse to keep sucking.

I know i suck,i have a problem that,for example,i want to make a game,i imagine of it and all of its mechanics,then i go to the computer,excited,but it ends up with me getting lazy and stuff,trying to beat that,tough,BTW,i have some images of a arena-like wad that will come with the Diversity wad,here are they:
http://imgur.com/riRS74d
http://imgur.com/T6M7Cjo
http://imgur.com/0O0Tkai
http://imgur.com/1wOxoEY
http://imgur.com/6JXnAMj
Note that there are these obstacles for each door,has i am using ACS scripting,they will open once a certain arena is completed,and on the last image,i have the exact size of the first arena,but with nothing yet inside.

Budoka said:

Boom makes you reload a super shotgun with zero shells, therefore it is bad. Also Zdoom barely makes any changes that you can't just disable. The only big one that impacts gameplay is the change of monster hitboxes. I just prefer having an unlimited amount of options, regardless of possible complexity.

Budoka said:

Sorry, that's Boom. Boom allows for many things that vanilla mapping can't, without breaking the rules of Doom engine behavior in the process, unlike Zdoom. It also does away with irritating technical limits such as visplane overflow, but doesn't introduce needlessly complex and artificial elements the way Zdoom does.

lol

Boom actually breaks the rules of Doom engine behavior a lot, which is why PrBoom+ has separate complevels for Boom and vanilla Doom.

And nobody is forced to use "complex and artificial elements" when making a ZDoom map. Wonder what an artificial element is, by the way.

The real reason to choose Boom mapping over ZDoom mapping is that there are more engines which can run Boom maps (including ZDoom), so you'll have a larger audience, and in particular you'll get a much larger speedrunner audience.

sesalpinogamer said:

W,i have some images of a arena-like wad that will come with the Diversity wad,here are they:
http://imgur.com/riRS74d
http://imgur.com/T6M7Cjo
http://imgur.com/0O0Tkai
http://imgur.com/1wOxoEY
http://imgur.com/6JXnAMj

I'm not one of those detail-obsessed freaks, but I'm still thinking the design here might be a little too rough and basic. Even the ID Software guys never made rooms that simple-looking. Also most of these are the same theme, it would be better if you had at least one example for each of the aesthetics you talk about in your introduction post. Also, you're planning two projects at once ? Sure that's a good idea ?

By the way, I think most of us get lazy at some point over the course of a project,not just with Doom but in general. However, all that really means is that the project is not yet done. Releasing something worth looking at takes time and effort, and is never an easy process for anyone.

sesalpinogamer said:

http://imgur.com/6JXnAMj...i have the exact size of the first arena,but with nothing yet inside.

You HAVE to do better than that if you wanna gain any form of support around here. That is seriously hard to get impressed by, no matter how much story or how many good intentions there are behind it! I mean, would YOU be impressed by that screenshot if someone showed that to you?

Work hard, come up with something discernible that actually shows us your ambitions in a few good screenshots, and you will have all the support you could wish for.

Chris Hansen said:

You HAVE to do better than that if you wanna gain any form of support around here. That is seriously hard to get impressed by, no matter how much story or how many good intentions there are behind it! I mean, would YOU be impressed by that screenshot if someone showed that to you?

Work hard, come up with something discernible that actually shows us your ambitions in a few good screenshots, and you will have all the support you could wish for.

Missing the point of very early in development screenshots