Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RaphaelMode

Hey, not too rough! (Episode 2 relaesed)

When I first played Doom, I had no manual. I had no idea what the game was about and when I encountered the zombies, I concluded, since by how hitscanners infight easily I had no reason to think they're on the side of demons, that they're simply people who want to kill everyone in the building.

Just like you.

Spoiler

and then Peter Chimaera was right.

When I don't have time or motivation to achieve anything better, I make vanilla maps. I was maiming for a megawhat yet decided to relaese some levels now. This WAD contains six eleven VANILLA levels... but now they come with a richer flavor thanks to DeHackEd!

Dive in and explore the world of non-useless pistols!

===========================
Hey, Not Too Rough!
---------------------------
A Doom mod by Raphael Moore

Year XXXX. No one but the Lightbringer remembers the interdimensional war first-handedly anymore. United with the otherwordly inhabitants, humanity got really far in their crawl towards utopia.For the Dentata tribe, the permanence of death was always optional. Nowadays, it stopped being a diplomatical hindrance and became a new opportunity for thrill seekers.

The weapon manufacturers no longer had to spark conflicts to stay in business, once the Deathmatches became popular in both dimensions.

There were Deathmatch Tournaments, where small groups of people would kill each ather and then get resurrected only to be tossed into combat right afterwards, until someone scored enough kills.

And then there were Deathmatch Challenges. Only the most powerful and skilled could qualify for the title of the Deathmatch Master, and an opportunity to fight for the great prize. All they had to do is to get to pass through the series of connected combat-oriented locations. But there was a bounty on their head.

For a tiny fee, absolutely everyone could try to kill the Deathmatch Champion to get a fraction of their prize. If the Deathmatch Champion died, everyone would be resurrected, and the Champion taken to the area enterance, after being stripped of current possessions if necessary.

For many, the biggest prize was the thrill, the fraction of which people felt when playing the prophecy centuries ago.

But not for you. You don't care about how cool the chainsaw sounds, or whatever symbolic relationship there is between sex and death. You became the deathmatch master by being careful, evasive, avoiding combat in close quarters and exploiting the participants' impulsiveness that would make them randomly attack everyone but you if provoked. What pleases you about combat is winning, and getting a huge amount of money thanks to rising above primal instincts.

You enter the Deathmatch Challenge. A metal door that imitates the old Phobos architecture and probably offends some fallen soldiers slams shut behind you, and in front of you... someone's already gotten too impatient. Looks like it's time to wrestle a demon. Let's get it on!

===============
Files included:
===============

HNTR_E2.wad:
Contains eleven levels, three demos, custom music, custom sounds and custom graphics.

HNTR_E2.deh:

Contains some string replacements, a real sleek handgun, and one real bada$$ monster!

=============
Download Here
=============

===========
ScreenShots
===========

hntr_shot02.png.aa89423ef67c42db892566ed701a4d10.pnghntr_shot03.png.1c4003d6335bfdfeb852c3839743efe6.pnghntr_shot04.png.9657ff2320c798d0bd2a31a4ecbf9899.pnghntr_shot05.png.676ff65718a87150fc5b4275daa45b75.png

Edited by RaphaelMode

Pretty fun maps that aren't excessively challenging for me (I guess clue's in the name). What I didn't get is the new difficulty. All it does is stop enemies dropping ammo, which is the primary source of ammo throughout meaning I had to Tyson my way through the first level before dying and giving up. Aside from that, it's a pretty fun set of maps.

I've enjoyed these maps, played them in one go. Aesthetics were 100% unpolished and amateurish (blocky rooms, clashing textures, misalignments), and the progression was slightly confusing a few times (switches with unclear effect, shootable switch), but the relatively decent variety in texturing, fights and layout + progression elements made it fun for me. The layouts were generally good, more or less nonlinear, and full of secrets to find, which I like. MAP01 had too little health and too much imps and spectres before getting a shotgun (I took the path without a shotgun first), and it was possible to get stuck in the soulsphere secret, because I leaped there from the shotgun pedestal.

Well, the difficulty is really low even on UV, I don't think my health ever dropped below 70% during entire playthrough. In Map06, sector 150 shouldn't be secret. And... why there is "Rule 34" in one custom texture?

Blocky, simplistic, layouted and gameplayable. In other words, classic.

Caleb13 said:

Well, the difficulty is really low even on UV, I don't think my health ever dropped below 70% during entire playthrough.

It may be too classic even.

SavageCorona said:

What I didn't get is the new difficulty. All it does is stop enemies dropping ammo, which is the primary source of ammo throughout meaning I had to Tyson my way through the first level before dying and giving up.

It's what it is, a semo-Tyson difficulty. It removes most weapons, spawns more health and replaces medkits with berserk.

Caleb13 said:

And... why there is "Rule 34" in one custom texture?

I was alraedy modyfying the computer screen graphics and noticed the "area 34" screen. The better question is why did I bother to resize actual rule 34 there.

SavageCorona said:

http://i.imgur.com/2Wzbptd.png

This has some explaining to do

I was overwhelmed in negativity when attempting to fix the dummy texture affecting raise by shortest texture action vanilla bug. Shitty and stinky is not necessarily a deprecatory adjective but is quite never used as a positive quality. But it's very good that you're inquiritive.

Also the Lightbringer is can be considered an egregore, an animal and a plant at the same time. Which would not be off-topic but my train of thought has been omitted.

Oh that's not the R34 texture. It took me a while to find it's actually one of the comp textures with a very pixellated but undoubtedly sexy image.

Im only on map03 so far but I'm liking it quite a lot! The texturing is simple, but I wouldn't go as far as to call it overtly amatuerish - At worst, the texturing looks (about) on par with most tech Doom2 iwad maps so I can't really complain. I like simplicity in texturing, too much eye clutter = not as appealing for me as it is for others.

The layouts seem as 'classic' as they come - Windows to rooms ahead, monster closets, ledges looking out over lower areas so you can have some fun sniping away the enemies - Honestly this is just feeling like "a really good 1995 wad" so far and that's right up my allwey.

Hope the rest of the wad is as fun as the first 3 maps. Good job, and remember, using what you learned this time around will help your future maps even more. :)

Great maps! I like the oldschool feeling, the Perfect Drug music... I'm not into the custom sounds however (it's a little wacky), but that's ok!

You plan to do more episodes? It would be very nice.

Yes, I do! Something is coming into existence.

The next relaese of this mod is going to be EXTREMELY COOL.

Extremely cool by largely mainstraem standards, specifically, but nevertheless!

It's going to be a specific kind of cool. It's going to have identity. With few linedefs and plenty of flavor!

Would anyone want to beta-test the new version? It faetures 11 levels total, with 6 very new levels and 5 modified levels.

HNTR_TAESER01.png

HNTR_TAESER02.png

HNTR_TAESER03.png

On 7/12/2015 at 0:17 PM, RaphaelMode said:

Reveal hidden contents

and then Peter Chimaera was right.

Hey, Not Too Rough!
---------------------------
A Doom mod by Raphael Moore

Year XXXX. No one but the Lightbringer remembers the interdimensional war first-handedly anymore. United with the otherwordly inhabitants, humanity got really far in their crawl towards utopia.For the Dentata tribe, the permanence of death was always optional. Nowadays, it stopped being a diplomatical hindrance and became a new opportunity for thrill seekers.

The weapon manufacturers no longer had to spark conflicts to stay in business, once the Deathmatches became popular in both dimensions.

There were Deathmatch Tournaments, where small groups of people would kill each ather and then get resurrected only to be tossed into combat right afterwards, until someone scored enough kills.

And then there were Deathmatch Challenges. Only the most powerful and skilled could qualify for the title of the Deathmatch Master, and an opportunity to fight for the great prize. All they had to do is to get to pass through the series of connected combat-oriented locations. But there was a bounty on their head.

For a tiny fee, absolutely everyone could try to kill the Deathmatch Champion to get a fraction of their prize. If the Deathmatch Champion died, everyone would be resurrected, and the Champion taken to the area enterance, after being stripped of current possessions if necessary.

For many, the biggest prize was the thrill, the fraction of which people felt when playing the prophecy centuries ago.

But not for you. You don't care about how cool the chainsaw sounds, or whatever symbolic relationship there is between sex and death. You became the deathmatch master by being careful, evasive, avoiding combat in close quarters and exploiting the participants' impulsiveness that would make them randomly attack everyone but you if provoked. What pleases you about combat is winning, and getting a huge amount of money thanks to rising above primal instincts.

You enter the Deathmatch Challenge. A metal door that imitates the old Phobos architecture and probably offends some fallen soldiers slams shut behind you. Your survival instinct makes you analyze your surroundings quickly: a healing orb to the left, a group of morons with cheap rifles in the front and a lift on the right. Let's get it on!

I like the backstory. Even if the overall game is run, kill things, get armor and weapons, kill more things, get health, kill more things, repeat, it's nice to see an involved backstory. I especially like the concept of deathmatches just being some consequence of the effective immortality of the race(s) involved in a great, interdimensional war.

You may want to come up with a way to avoid saying "Year XXXX," which is a little odd (to me, at least. Perhaps just delete it (in my opinion, the specific year doesn't add much to the backstory--it's obviously in the future).

Or something like, "No one remembers how many years have passed since the interdimensional war changed everything. Other than the Lightbringer, no one even remembers the war itself first hand, hearing only stories that have been told and retold by those who were, themselves, not even there. Once united with the inhabitants of that other world, humanity progressed in the crawl toward utopia. The permanence of death itself even became optional."

On 7/12/2015 at 9:17 AM, RaphaelMode said:

When I first played Doom, I had no manual. I had no idea what the game was about and when I encountered the zombies, I concluded, since by how hitscanners infight easily I had no reason to think they're on the side of demons, that they're simply people who want to kill everyone in the building.

ive had my mind blown before...but never like this.

Someone's appreciating the existence of backstory?! Excellent. Not that the bar was the highest for me there.

The ultimate beta version of Episode 2 is now completed! Ask, and you may receive it!

Behold! The epoch of Hey Not Too Rough Episode 2 has begun!

Download it here!

Faeturing 5 extended and improved levels, 6 very new baeutiful levels, a truly satisfying pistol, and the most badass new enemy around! The whole thing has become something quite different!

I replaced all the screenshots in the first post as well, as they all became outdated.

While you're busy enjoying the everloving heck out of the newly relaesed Episode 2, I am of course making more content!hntr-actualmap12perchance.png.ba70fff0622a1ed4ac1604ec15200fd4.png

I just bought this patch of land and I'm raedy to build on it!

I have finished at least 7 new maps! Not to mention improving everything that alraedy existed. But maybe I won't do more public relaeses until it's utterly complete... Would anyone want to do some non-public betatesting of this?

hntr-2019b.png

hntr-2019c.png

hntr-2019a.png