Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Doomworld is dead, long live Doomworld

I too would gladly contribute on Kickstarter I can only give about $20 or so as I'm broke and struggle enough to pay my own rent but I'd do what I can. I'm pretty sure we got enough folks here to help. Hell I believe John Romero, Tom Hall, and other devs would help as well if needed.

Though I think we can do this. :D

I might help with hosting, so how much traffic does it take per month, and what are max peaks? Tho, I'm sure it's not taking too much.

Give me a thing I can throw some dollars at and I'll pitch in to resurrect doomworld. I mean, I can't map, mod or even post very well but I'd genuinely miss at least %3 of you butts :3

kalinus said:

I too would gladly contribute on Kickstarter

I think Patreon would be more appropriate.

I visit doomworld on a daily basis, I really don't want it to go away. I would do anything to keep this place as it is now, *anything*.

Gez said:

I think Patreon would be more appropriate.

Only if they ask for it at the end of a video or open with a joke about how they're not financing it for *funny joke here*

Anyway, Patreon would be good since its a monthly fee.... or just cut out the middle man and put up a donations / paypal thing.

Oh wow, this is sad to hear. This place has been around for so long! Glad to see an effort is being made to keep it around. I think the importance of Doomworld for the long term health of the game is essential. Losing this website would be a very bad day for us Doomers.

For some reason I read that as alt.doomy.meme and thought that sounded even better. Why keep using these fancy-ass forums when we have good ol' Usenet?

After dealing with hosting and operating the website for a local organization, I have a small taste of how much of a PITA it can be. Thanks for letting us know, as well as all your hard work and generosity.

Hosts come any go, but the spark that got us all here in the first place is something that is far harder to tear from us. Regardless of what happens I can almost guarantee with the utmost certainty that Doomworld (or the Doomworld community) will find a new home - between the diligent admins and dedicated fans, it's a sure thing. Also I would like to reiterate what others have stated, and would happily donate if such an option is given.

Guess the doomworld facebook group isn't so much of a disgrace now that were all gonna have to migrate there :/

40oz said:

Guess the doomworld facebook group isn't so much of a disgrace now that were all gonna have to migrate there :/

I thought the FB group was a social version of Posthell?

I do not want to see this place vanish and be some shitty parked domain in its place.

Oh, c'mon now guys. Do you really think a site like Doomworld is going to go down?

Sure, it may change servers, but the same people, all of our wonderful community, will certainly be there to support the new site, plus archive records of all of the old site's pages.

I know for a fact that Doomworld is not going to go away. It may get a face lift, but this community will be forever strong!

Definitely concerned about the move, and about the exclusive files on 3DDownloads. IIRC, there weren't just Doom mods on there, but Quake too.

What's the time frame on AtomicGamer shutting down?

It could be good with Doomworld's banner (on the top of the page) to advertise with two URLs; one for the actual website, and another (like "doomworld.com" and "doomworld2.com") that's hosted elsewhere, and only contains news and information in case something happens to the main host.

I'm just thinking that if the host AtomicGamer had instead suddenly pulled the plug, we'd have no central hub to find out what's going on, and many of us would unfortunately never find our back to the community.

Perhaps things are more secure than that, though?

Glad to see some good news amid the bad news, anyhow.

I'll also jump on the "willing to donate money" bandwagon. Nothing super generous (a dude's gotta eat), but I will definitely chip in if it's ever needed to keep Doomworld running.