Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Doomworld is dead, long live Doomworld

gemini09 said:

I'm just thinking that if the host AtomicGamer had instead suddenly pulled the plug, we'd have no central hub to find out what's going on, and many of us would unfortunately never find our back to the community.

When I've wondered if a site died or moved the best option for "website metadata" seems to be Wikipedia. Given that Doomworld already has an entry (the Talk page is hilarious - poor darkexodus ;_;) it will undoubtedly get updated. There's of course also the Doom Wiki, ZDoom forums, DRD forums, etc...

Most likely the government got bribed by a rivaling company, with Doom 4 coming soon, this mysterious company fears that Doom 4 will be so successful, that it would cause them bankruptcy. So what better plan than shutting down the definitive source for all things Doom! The conspiracy has almost been decoded!

What'll be the new domain?

doomarea.com?
doomland.com?
ageneralarearelatedtothatofdoom.com?

impse.net?

it'll 95% still be doomworld.com

there are some other options but if all goes as we think it will they'll simply be redirects like doomworld.org currently

...doomuniverse, doomgalaxy, doom4world, planetdoom (ziff davis still owns the domain, but sure they'd let it go at a nominal fee... probably not any less than what doomworld could be obtained for tho)

EDIT:

Arioch said:

it'll 95% still be doomworld.com

there are some other options but if all goes as we think it will they'll simply be redirects like doomworld.org currently

Well that's a relief.

It's like a funeral, but for something more important. So long not goodnight, and here's hoping for the continued survival of Doomworld.

Will the forum software be ported over or does everyone end up having to start from post count zero?

What about calling it "Doom Center"? Like that old Doom website. It sounds very good because it's similar to "Command Center", that central Doom 1 level.

Linguica said:

Q: How are you planning on paying for this?
A: We... don't exactly know yet. To start out, it seems likely that it's just going to be out of our (the administrators') pockets. Doomworld is small enough that this isn't an outrageous expense, although with Doom 4 approaching I don't know how the traffic is going to grow. Let's call this an open question.

I'd be happy to make a donation if the cost ends up being high.

The responsible admins and how amazing this community is it makes me optimistic on how this thing will end.

Pavera said:

I'd be happy to make a donation if the cost ends up being high.

Count me in, as well.

EDIT: I would've loved to write/redesign a new site, but STILL!

Buckshot said:

doomgalaxy

We should at least have Doom Sunshine between World and Galaxy. I'd also mention 64 but that would be awkward, what with the game by the same name and all.

Antroid said:

We should at least have Doom Sunshine between World and Galaxy. I'd also mention 64 but that would be awkward, what with the game by the same name and all.

HEH

I'm not too worried about this, I seriously doubt a community such as this would die just because of the host shutting down.

Jaxxoon R said:

Does anyone know why Atomic Gamer is doing this?

I don't, but I expect it's going to be something along the line of "money" because I don't believe Atomic Gamer to be entirely self-financing.

I guess we have some company. Wonder how they are handling the issue, for those of them that are still active.
http://www.atomicgamer.com/network.php

Glaice said:

Will the forum software be ported over or does everyone end up having to start from post count zero?

I'm wondering this too.
We won't have senior users anymore, and everyone is gonna have to use the pre-baked avatars again.

This place is a madhouse and not always pleasant, but it's still the one website I've been going to the longest (except maybe Penny Arcade.) Hopefully there'll be a relatively smooth transition!

Tumbling down
Tumbling down
Tumbling down

Gez said:

I guess we have some company. Wonder how they are handling the issue, for those of them that are still active.
http://www.atomicgamer.com/network.php

Had a poke around on CivFanatics & No Mutants Allowed - no news or forum posts about a looming shutdown.....

Dave

*Edit* Sticky Thread?

Phendrena said:

*Edit* Sticky Thread?

I purposely didn't sticky it because from past experience, people's eyes glaze right over any stickied threads (which indicates a bad UI really...)

Linguica said:

I purposely didn't sticky it because from past experience, people's eyes glaze right over any stickied threads (which indicates a bad UI really...)

Can't argue with that!

Have you had any thoughts about setting up a Paypal for any possible donations? I'd suggest not using a third party as they'd take a cut of anything raised.

Dave

I'd like to suggest not using patreon if you decide to open donations since they take quite a large percentage of profits. Either way, I think, if you think it might be necessary, to open up something just in case of the worst.

Nothing lasts forever.
The one thing which seems to be the worst would be the loss of all wads, and even every gaming related file hosted by atomicgamer in general (demo's, mods, etc.).

Maybe one could try to contact ARCHIVE.org as a serious option to archive all the wads as a complete ftp dump...

I think there should be a way for the public to donate to keep site operation going. To turn down money during uncertain times isn't a good idea IMO.

Is there any upside to moving to an independent model? Tighter control on advertisements (which I would imagine to be a necessary evil to keep the site from being a money pit).

So are all our posts still going to be here or is it going to be a vast empty barren wasteland that looks like a 13 year old's my first clan forum? That's the only thing that kind of concerns me.

I wonder if that means all those wacky "hosted sites" that haven't been updated since 1998 are going to be lost?

I really hope doomworld.com remains the domin, thats honestly my biggest worry with this. It's a name a lot of people know.