Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Doomworld is dead, long live Doomworld

Does this mean there would be an exodus to the ZDoom and Zandronum forums until the site comes back?

FireFish said:

The one thing which seems to be the worst would be the loss of all wads, and even every gaming related file hosted by atomicgamer in general (demo's, mods, etc.).

Maybe one could try to contact ARCHIVE.org as a serious option to archive all the wads as a complete ftp dump...

The /idgames archives are safe, AtomicGamer has nothing to do with those. What's at risk are files that are linked to Doomworld's info pages and various hosted sites, a dump to archive.org is a nice idea but I don't know if anyone here has ftp access to all of the files.

Like I said, everything important has been backed up already. Barring catastrophe, little to no web data should be lost.

That's good to hear. Otherwise, we could have lost all of the Post hell Gems to laugh at.

Linguica said:

Like I said, everything important has been backed up already. Barring catastrophe, little to no web data should be lost.

Thank God, the heh thread is safe.

raymoohawk said:

should we post less during this process?

Post less, sprite more. Be amazing.

Phendrena said:

Had a poke around on CivFanatics & No Mutants Allowed - no news or forum posts about a looming shutdown.....

Good point!
This is a confusing situation. If AtomicGamer is indeed quitting its hosting services, why didn't it notify anyone besides Doomworld?
And if it did, why didn't their admins seeingly react in any way? Almost all of those hosted sites are still active after all. I quickly checked all these sites and their forums, and found no word at all of AG's shutdown.
The Atomic Gamer website itself contains no news about it, either; neither does their Twitter (their Facebook doesn't seem to be working.)

Glaice said:

Does this mean there would be an exodus to the ZDoom and Zandronum forums until the site comes back?

I was thinking to learn russian and move to iddqd.ru.

Gez said:

I think Patreon would be more appropriate.

I agree with you to a point It's more of subscriber based thing right? If so I believe we should have a paypal button as well or maybe there's more options than I realize. I could do a small monthly donation.

gaspe said:

I was thinking to learn russian and move to iddqd.ru.

Or French and go here: http://doomfrance.forumactif.com/

kalinus said:

I agree with you to a point It's more of subscriber based thing right? If so I believe we should have a paypal button as well or maybe there's more options than I realize. I could do a small monthly donation.

Kickstarter and similar services (like IndieGogo) are for getting a lot of cash for one event. Web hosting is more a relatively small, but recurrent cost, so Patreon is the more appropriate equivalent. Like you use Kickstarter if you want $10000 once, but you use Patreon if you want $100 every month.

El Oshcuro said:

Do a Patreon, I'll throw in on day one

Ya know I didn't mention you in my earlier post but your one of the Devs I thought would help. :D

JudgeDeadd said:

Good point!
This is a confusing situation. If AtomicGamer is indeed quitting its hosting services, why didn't it notify anyone besides Doomworld?
And if it did, why didn't their admins seeingly react in any way? Almost all of those hosted sites are still active after all. I quickly checked all these sites and their forums, and found no word at all of AG's shutdown.
The Atomic Gamer website itself contains no news about it, either; neither does their Twitter (their Facebook doesn't seem to be working.)

It's a conspiracy!

Quasar said:

It's a conspiracy!

Something doesn't quite add up to me. As the other sites don't appear to scrambling to inform their community about the impending apocalypse are we the only folks being nudged out? If so, why and by whom? It is rather fishy.

Dave

DW admin are quite literally the only people paying any attention whatsoever right now. We don't particularly think it's a false alarm.

Arioch said:

DW admin are quite literally the only people paying any attention whatsoever right now. We don't particularly think it's a false alarm.

I doubted it would have been posted if it were to be taken lightly. But what it seems, you guys are trying to make a smooth, seamless transition that will go unnoticed to us, but a casual forewarning just in case.

Just out of curiosity, when would this be occurring? days? weeks? months?

JudgeDeadd said:

Good point!

We're the 'B' ark.

Good luck with the transition, I hope the domain name sticks. Quite a few users seem to have lapses where they don't doomworld for a while, sometimes for a year or more. I'd hate to have done that, come back to a newdoom site, without a clue as to where the old site went...

I'll tag along wherever Doomworld ends up though, and would gladly donate if it's of any help (and not just an added bureaucratic burden in the midst of all this).

Well, I could have seen this one coming. Even before I could release anything in the past 5 years I've spent here.

fraggle said:

We're the 'B' ark.

now that i actually come to tell this story to someone else