Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Doomworld is dead, long live Doomworld

I've been using Windows Defender which came with Windows 8, and so far it's never given me any problems.

Justince said:

I have to admit I'm a little surprised that (what I assumed are) computer-minded people still use anti-virus software at all.

Most of us are using Windows, which without decent antivirus software is an accident waiting to happen.

What the post hell is going on?

Apparently it's just Ling's avatar, heh. It sure does help one see the announcement!

GreyGhost said:

Most of us are using Windows, which without decent antivirus software is an accident waiting to happen.

Perhaps, although an antimalware app for browsing and connectivity should be enough for most people, and they're much less intrusive and often more effective. Actually, it might make more sense for tech-savvy people to use antivirus software because other people will sometimes get antivirus annoyances and problems they can't solve without an expert at their side.

anybody who's on windows and is using something other than MSE is a fucking tool

And I've got an opinion on people that talk in absolutes and call other people names. But what do I know, I'm just tool that knows nothing about computers. Ohh well.

Arioch said:

anybody who's on windows and is using something other than MSE is a fucking tool

MSE has actually been consistently worthless in threat detection for a few years now (recent example: https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/). Ah, the joys of Windows. Kaspersky is consistently effective, Bitdefender scores well too. Malwarebytes seems to pickup nasties others miss.

Sure you can substitute AV with common sense and be mostly fine these days, but I don't trust Microsoft to protect my data. Also zero-days are a thing, and having an extra defense against an exploit installing malware isn't going to hurt.

Angry Saint said:

Avast Antivirus told me doomworld.com is malware

No. It told you it detected a DNS reroute and that it couldn't guarantee that the site you're being redirected to is not malicious. A proper warning, since hacked sites often get rerouted to a dedicated site full of malware aimed at infecting your PC. This is obviously not the case here, but your antivirus obviously can't detect between legit DNS changes and others.

It's far easier to hit an infected website than you may think - and most infections won't even be noticed until weeks later when all the damage has been done.

It's true that with some intelligence you get arounf most of the obvious threats but having some safety precaution installed is not being paranoid but being responsible.

An infected computer can not only damage yourself but large parts of the internet, e.g. when it gets hijacked by a botnet.

I read that last part of the last sentence as "hijacked by a bonobo." Take that as you will.

SERIOUS TIME: I think it's worth editing the first post with a "hey we're all moved; this is old stuff" disclaimer for folks who miss the announcement and find this thread first. It'll happen.

Arioch said:

fyi that level of paranoia isn't healthy

idk. If the Russian Mafia don't get you, the NSA will, or the nice people from Microsoft Technical Support who phone at regular intervals to inform me that my PC is flooding the Web with malware.

Xaser said:

"hijacked by a bonobo."

That I would like to see.

Graf Zahl said:

So, which one would you recommend?
I have been using Avira AntiVir and AVG in the past and both caused problems that were far worse than Avast.

I haven't encountered an antivirus yet that never had any false positives.

Malwarebytes, it's the best for the job and free. If you want to use the realtime protection feature I can tell you by PM how to get a legit lifetime license.

It has less overhead and scans faster than other tools.

DooM_RO said:

"Doomworld is dead, long live Doomworld"

So is Doomworld officially a Revenant now?

NO, DON'T SAY THA-

Apparently when a website dies, they pick him up, dust him off, wire him some combat gear, and send him back into battle. No rest for the wicked, eh? You wish your members did what his can do.

Graf Zahl said:

It's far easier to hit an infected website than you may think - and most infections won't even be noticed until weeks later when all the damage has been done.

It's true that with some intelligence you get arounf most of the obvious threats but having some safety precaution installed is not being paranoid but being responsible.

An infected computer can not only damage yourself but large parts of the internet, e.g. when it gets hijacked by a botnet.

Yeah, there was someone at another forum a couple days ago (I won't name him or that forum) who said "If you know what you're doing online, you don't need anti-virus programs."

I strongly disagreed with him, telling him even if he used common sense online, he still needs an anti-virus program. (Of course, I didn't tell him using NoScript as an extra layer of security wouldn't hurt...)

VGA said:

Malwarebytes, it's the best for the job and free. If you want to use the realtime protection feature I can tell you by PM how to get a legit lifetime license.

It has less overhead and scans faster than other tools.

Graf was asking for an anti-virus program... Malwarebytes is an anti-malware program. It doesn't protect against viruses. But like I said, an extra layer of security doesn't hurt, heh... (as long as it doesn't impact performance, mind you! :P)

Arioch said:

In my defense, MSE isn't even supported on Windows 8/8.1

Dumb stuff:

I actually really like the doom.world domain name. Are you willing to consider having it be the primary domain and having the doomworld.com domain redirect to it, if the idea is popular enough?

More serious stuff:

What if the Doom Wiki were changed to be a feature of Doomworld itself? Its URL could be something like doom.world/wiki. I think it'd give it more of a sense of it being "official" than it being on its own, and would help drive home the fact that the Wikia version is just an irrelevant and ill-maintained hive of garbage.

I just hate it how newbies tend to gravitate toward the Wikia version, which is precisely why they keep it around; for the ad revenue. It's a very shitty practice that goes directly against the wishes of the community that originally established and maintained it. Anything to minimize or reverse their damage is a good idea IMO.

doom.world is $40/year on registration alone and the point right now is trying to be as lean as possible

It seems like a lot of work has gone into this server move behind the scenes, more than might be immediately obvious. Big thanks to Linguica and everyone else who was involved in making this happen.

Jaxxoon R said:

Apparently when a website dies, they pick him up, dust him off, wire him some combat gear, and send him back into battle. No rest for the wicked, eh? You wish your members did what his can do.

yesssssss

Arioch said:

doom.world is $40/year on registration alone and the point right now is trying to be as lean as possible

Donations are always an option.