Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Doomworld is dead, long live Doomworld

But really, is there any point in significantly higher expense (even with donations, that's still people's money being needlessly used) just for something as trivial as a different domain name?

(answer: no)

Sodaholic said:

Dumb stuff:

I actually really like the doom.world domain name. Are you willing to consider having it be the primary domain and having the doomworld.com domain redirect to it, if the idea is popular enough?

More serious stuff:

What if the Doom Wiki were changed to be a feature of Doomworld itself? Its URL could be something like doom.world/wiki. I think it'd give it more of a sense of it being "official" than it being on its own, and would help drive home the fact that the Wikia version is just an irrelevant and ill-maintained hive of garbage.

I just hate it how newbies tend to gravitate toward the Wikia version, which is precisely why they keep it around; for the ad revenue. It's a very shitty practice that goes directly against the wishes of the community that originally established and maintained it. Anything to minimize or reverse their damage is a good idea IMO.

It's irritating how SEOptimised Wikia's repugnant, undead Doom wiki is. For most searches it's the first hit on search engines with Doomwiki languishing. Will DoomWiki ever be able to threaten the Wikia menace and supplant it?

I've seen this in a few communities now and really wish Wikia would stop shitting up the internet with its ad-laden pseudo-communities and bloated layouts.

Sodaholic said:

I actually really like the doom.world domain name. Are you willing to consider having it be the primary domain and having the doomworld.com domain redirect to it, if the idea is popular enough?

Lol, no. It's been doomworld dot com since 1998. The only chance now of that happening is if we don't actually get possession of the domain name (currently it's pointing to us but we don't actually control it).

The one thing I might do is set up doom.world as an url shortener, which might be neat, but I'm not sure if it's forty bucks a year neat.

Sodaholic said:

What if the Doom Wiki were changed to be a feature of Doomworld itself? Its URL could be something like doom.world/wiki. I think it'd give it more of a sense of it being "official" than it being on its own, and would help drive home the fact that the Wikia version is just an irrelevant and ill-maintained hive of garbage.

Lmao I am sure the doomwiki people would just love that so much.

Eris Falling said:

But really, is there any point in significantly higher expense (even with donations, that's still people's money being needlessly used) just for something as trivial as a different domain name?

(answer: no)

this is correct

Linguica said:

We already suffer from accusations of impartiality (and get referred to as "the doomworld wiki"). I did try to convince quasar to let us move to doom.wiki, but he was worried about the impact on search rankings and on reflection it has many of the same drawbacks as .world would for DW.

SavageCorona said:

You DO know how domains work, right?

Do I look like someone with web making experience?

Oh hey, Joe-Ilya's back.

Your NOVA II map was nice.

Well, I'm just glad the server transfer was a successful procedure. Now I can continue polluting the internet with my idiocy. To start with, I suggest that in the case we cannot use Doomworld.com anymore we make use of Doomskeleton.skeleton instead.

Voltcom9 said:

This has to be one of the funniest things I've read on here in a while. Good job. :)

I'm proud of myself.

Jaxxoon R said:

Your NOVA II map was nice.

Your map for my tune-up community project is nicer.

joe-ilya said:

Do I look like someone with web making experience?

Well it's quite simple. You can't run two websites on one domain. I too have no experience with web design and I know this.

Same domain, different server. Already happened, you would know that if you read the announcement sticky currently ontop of every forum section.

SavageCorona said:

Well it's quite simple. You can't run two websites on one domain. I too have no experience with web design and I know this.

Actually, you can, it's just a matter of changing the suffix or prefix. The latter is often done to add sub-domains to a site.

As someone who's been coming to Doomworld since 1999 (even if I don't post much -- I spent ten years on TTLG and I'm largely finished with forums) I just want to thank you for all you've done, Ling.

dethtoll said:

As someone who's been coming to Doomworld since 1999 (even if I don't post much -- I spent ten years on TTLG and I'm largely finished with forums) I just want to thank you for all you've done, Ling.

Hear, hear! Same here!

But where is the DOOM 4 news on the front page?!

gemini09 said:

But where is the DOOM 4 news on the front page?!

FTFY

Unless you want information about a ZDaemon or Zandronum event, the front page has precious little news these days (something that has already been raised in this thread).

Angry Saint said:

I still do not receive notifications from the threads I subscribed :-(

Doomworld is sending out emails from the forum software now, so the most likely answer is that emails to you from DW are being blocked somewhere.

Doomworld is being blocked by mail servers because doomworld.com's ip address is listed by various RBL lists. I'm shepherding the process of getting it delisted. This is the problem with virtual hosting, finite IPv4 allocation, and the ease of setting up spam servers etc.

We're working on a general @doomworld.com email solution (people who are listed as contacts for doomworld right now do not have working email, including ling) and I hope to have that ready soon (sooner than valve time soon).

Dude, What have You been smoking. c: Anyway, take out the "Doomworld Is dead", and Instead put "Long Live Doomworld", and It'll bring good for the users.

Linguica said:

Lol, no. It's been doomworld dot com since 1998. The only chance now of that happening is if we don't actually get possession of the domain name (currently it's pointing to us but we don't actually control it).

The one thing I might do is set up doom.world as an url shortener, which might be neat, but I'm not sure if it's forty bucks a year neat.

(didn't read the 14 pages...) Is there anything I can do to help at this stage?

CacoCaddy said:

prower would have never let this happen!

frad.org just renewed last year

it checks out

Doominator2 said:

I am dead or alive, I do not know.

*Dead or Alive by Bon jovi starts playing* Top Lelz.