Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Forge315

Demon Poster

So basically you can’t get it, guess I’ll ask "id" about it then; with a little luck maybe they’ll say yeah we don’t make that anymore, and we’ll say "Bummer". Be back when I get a reply.

Or you can get this little image:
http://www.newdoom.com/hosted/doomencyclo/fichiers/doom_wp01.jpg

Other than Todd, I’m going to email Grinsekatze, "grinsekatze@newdoom.com" since the webpage identifies him as being in charge of the websites content; maybe he has the rest of it.

Lets work on this together guys, we would all love to have it right? We’d fight for it wouldn’t we! Heh.

Forge, that is the picture that is on the front of the first released Ultimate Doom Box, I have it right here on my desk :)

The demon face on the box and I guess also on this poster does not have much detail. The Doom logo could be taken from another poster, I have that in highres. So we could assemble something and get a nice poster. Ah well, I will start to work on it right now...

Hi,
it«s almost done (some retouching is still to do). 4 hours work.

I scanned the Ultimate Doom box (the one that came with the demon on the front) at 600dpi, then applied some descreening, removed scratches and dust and scaled it up like there was no tomorrow. I took the Doom logo from the Ultimate Doom poster some of you already have. That logo is nicely detailed, so it gives the whole poster some sharpness. The demon face looks not very detailed at you, but the image will - when viewed from a distance - not appear too blurry. Plus, there is the Doom logo, that is sharp and compensates the lack of detail that might be noticeable elsewhere.

The demon poster now is 27,8 x 35,2 inches large (70,4 x 89,5 cm), it has 62,5 MB in size and I can pack the tiff file in a zip archive, so its size shrinks to 21 MB.

It has now a resolution of 150 dpi, this might appear very low - but a poster bubblejet printer does not need 1400dpi. The bigger the image, the bigger the viewing distance. I test-printed a littIe part and it looks pretty good. I think I will continue retouching and then upload it in the next days.

Will cost you some $$$ when you shop for a print :)

Btw: The poster hanging on the wall at id was most likely made in the same way - from the Ultimate Doom box. On the left edge of the poster, the demon«s ear is cut where it ended in the edge of the game box, similar on the right side.

Is that poster originally doom? I've seen it elsewhere in other connections.

Shaviro said:

Is that poster originally doom? I've seen it elsewhere in other connections.

Yes, it's DOOM (though the creature actually reminds of something from elsewhere...)

I'm not sure that the poster you are asking about is for sale. I think it was a promotional poster for game shops or something. I think I saw that poster in that one article about the stuff on the walls of ID. If it is for sale, I hope you find it, if it isn't, then sorry dude :(

Fredrik said:

Yes, it's DOOM (though the creature actually reminds of something from elsewhere...)

Again: The creature is from the front of the first release of the game box of Ultimate Doom. Not from the second one, the second released box design contained a poster showing the surrounded and fighting Doomguy, like on the front of that box (but on the front the scene is in dark grey). The red creature on the first box is a colourized photography of one of the many 3D models that where made for the making of the game. For example, see page 26-27 of the "Book of Id" (Id Anthology), one page next after the middle, there you can see Adrian Carmack working on a Baron model.

The big poster was a kind of "bootleg poster" and hardly sold from id (there is a price tag in pound sterling at the bottom).

I have seen a better photo of that poster and the quality is bad, the simply scaled the gamebox up.

Anyway, I finished the work on the poster now, it has 75MB (25MB zipped) and next what I need is a place to load it up so you can load it down.

Email it to me and I'll host it, but I only get 6gigs of bandwidth every month, so I hope this doesn’t like become a popular download. Couldn't it be uploaded to fileplanet? (The evil server!)

forge315@commanderkeen.net

hmm. According to Romero, this dude is the baron and it was only used for promotion in England. Maybe that is why i saw it in that magazine, then?!

Note how there is a certain glare reflecting off that poster. This is because it is framed and such in a hallway in Id's offices. If they have it framed in their offices, theres a good chance that there aren't many.

I think I remember reading that it was either a promo poster or magazine add in the UK or something.

the_Danarchist said:

I think I remember reading that it was either a promo poster or magazine add in the UK or something.

I remeber reading that it was a promo poster too, but I don't remeber it mentioning the United Kingdom...