Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Barefootstallion

Sharing an Idea (Texturing)

Ever wondered what to use on the bottoms of those doors? Sick of how crate top textures fit but not well enough to not make your eyes wiggle, at least a little bit every time you look at them?

Well, I've got a cure!

These are 256 x 256 textures. To insert them into a wad, they need to be resized down to 64 x 64. Or if you're one of those programming gurus, them probably not resized after all.

These textures work best on doors that are 8 pixels thick. They'll work just as well on doors that are 128 pixels wide, or 64 pixels wide. Since the bottom of a door is in reality a ceiling texture, they'll tile on the bottoms of your doors following the rules for Doom engine flat texture tiling.

Either way, enjoy! Hope you have fun experimenting! Happy Dooming!

Unfortunately, these graphics transfer very badly into Doom's palette (making them unusable in ports with software rendering). Add the fact that they're not ready-made as a texture pack in wad form, and I'm going to prefer the universality of FLAT19, FLAT20 and CEIL5_1 for door top texturing.

scifista42 said:

Unfortunately, these graphics transfer very badly into Doom's palette (making them unusable in ports with software rendering).

Nope. All you gotta do is get Slade 3 and read a little documentation. If you want the 64 x 64 size, then all you gotta do is ask - nicely.

scifista42 said:

Add the fact that they're not ready-made as a texture pack in wad form,

Once again, just grab a copy of Slade 3. It's free. You can make texture-pack wads with it as easy as pie.

scifista42 said:

and I'm going to prefer the universality of FLAT19, FLAT20 and CEIL5_1 for door top texturing.

Goody for you. We prefer what we prefer.

I know how to read. Is it just because they tile along a grid of 8? People have been doing this in wads for decades now.

EarthQuake said:

I know how to read. Is it just because they tile along a grid of 8? People have been doing this in wads for decades now.

K.

Guess I'm just stupid then, huh, for trying to post an idea I had.

So far all I've received, since posting these textures, is condescending remarks.

Just trying to share an idea I had. If it doesn't appeal to you, then so be it. No reason to get snide with someone, or insinuate that they're stupid for posting them.

Guess this forum has little to no moderation. If this is the sort of behavior one gets subjected to for trying to post an idea, guess I won't be posting any of my ideas here anymore. I'll go and do it on a Doom forum that doesn't let idiots run roughshod over its contributing members.

;-)

Ugh, another bleedingheart.

People give constructive criticism or even just ask question and they take it as a personal offence. Too many people think this way and it's getting really irritating by now.

And this texture doesn't even make sense for a wooden crate, what, ten metal handles right next to each other on a sheet of metal? What the hell? Those things are just gonna fill up with spiders and water and dirt while in storage.