Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Fraglimit 40?

Do people like the classic fraglimit 40 in duel games? Personally, I find it too much and begin to feel bored towards the end of most games like this. Just want the game to end as soon as possible and don't have much fun anymore. Is my attention span too low?

Memfis said:

Just want the game to end as soon as possible and don't have much fun anymore. Is my attention span too low?

That's what Brit10 is for.

I think so. I've regularly played games on Doom2 MAP01 to 50 frags, and sometimes it felt like it was over too quickly.

MAP01, huh? On such maps, I can only stand playing them by camping all the way.

I always thought 10-25 was a good fraglimit for duel games. Though my association with 10 frags to win stems from Quake 3, a game with much slower duels. 25 is good. 40-50 is good for deathmatches with more than 4 people.

Depends on the map I guess- if its a bit more open running about and hunting for a long time could be a bit of a drag.

It really depends on the map.

Small fast paced maps, 40 is fine, but on larger maps it becomes tedious and Ill turn it to 25.

Voting enabled for fraglimit is a good thing :)

EDIT: I never see you in DM servs anymore Memfis. Next time you see me in zdplayers (or wherever) send me a message, I'd like to frag!

Heh, classic fraglimit is 50! You'll see it used with the majority of oldschool maps on "competition-ready" servers. The best comebacks happen after 40!

Fraglimit 40 was introduced for a more "casual" experience, because 50 is often too much, especially when modern DMflags come into play. Especially especially item respawn which can make duels last pretty much forever.

Fraglimit 30 is in my mind connected to pure NS FFAs with slower non-spammy gameplay like Greenwar or Onslaught. Longer rounds would slow map rotation while shorter rounds would end too fast on packed servers. We also used fraglimit 30 for hardcore NS tourneys with a lot of jumping and camping blue armors and whatnot.

Fraglimit 25 is a zandronum/duel32 thingy spearheaded by AlexMax and I think it fits the queue system on his servers nicely. Such rounds are much less decisive (or maybe definite) and promote waiting in line for "revenge" instead of playing 3 games in the same pairing and calling it a day, because everyone's physically tired.

So it depends on what experience you are aiming for.

If the skill levels of the two players are different, a 40frag game would end in 3 minutes.

Its when two evenly matched players play each other and are very defensive, that's when 40 frag games go on forever. The same thing happened with that pacqiao v mayweather fight. It wasn't nearly as exciting to watch as it was made up to be. Shits gotta be one sided to be a fun spectator sport :D