Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scifista42

[Jeezeedoom???] G/ZDoom Pronunciation

How do you pronounce ZDoom? Zeddoom? Zeedoom?

And how do you pronounce GZDoom? Jeezeddoom? Jeezeedoom? Geezeddoom? Geezeedoom? Gaezeddoom?

And what about other ports with names that aren't normal English words or combinations of them? Maybe you say Pehrboom, Prehboom or Paeboom?

I admit that I'm not English, and I use the common pronunciation in my native (Czech) language, which is [Zeddoom] and [Gaezeddoom] - and [Prboom]. But I'm curious about others, both English speakers or not.

I say the actual letters, as in

P. R. Boom
G. Z. Doom (I say zee instead of zed)

and so on. It's funny how people pronounce different ports though. ZDaemon is usually called either "Daimon" or "Demon" by different people. Odamex also gets pronounced differently by some.

Zed-doom and Jee-zee-doom. Normally as a British English speaker I find the American English "zee" to be intensely irritating and childish-sounding, but I make an exception in this case because it rolls off the tongue easier.

Funny, for me it's always Zee-Doom and Gee-Zee-Doom.

Zed said:

Funny, for me it's always Zee-Doom and Gee-Zee-Doom.

Ditto.

edit: I take it back. I pronounce the G like a J.

I'm honestly rather surprised that a lot of people pronounce GZDoom with Gee (like in "gun", "guard", "gravity", "guarantee") as opposed to Jee (like in "gene", "general", "genie", "George"). Unless there was a misunderstanding on the reader's part / misleading expression on my part.

ZDoom: exactly how it's written, without spelling out the 'z' (i.e. not 'zee' or 'zed', just 'z').

GZDoom: something like Guh-zdoom (with the 'uh' part pronounced with the mouth open very little).

scifista42 said:

I'm honestly rather surprised that a lot of people pronounce GZDoom with Gee (like in "gun", "guard", "gravity", "guarantee") as opposed to Jee (like in "gene", "general", "genie", "George"). Unless there was a misunderstanding on the reader's part / misleading expression on my part.

You're right, I was actually thinking in words like "general" when I wrote "Gee". But curiously, since my first language is Spanish, the "g" (as in "gun") sounds more "natural" to me. Go figure.

I pronounce them as single words. GZDoom sounds like "guh-z-doom" in my head.

printz said:

ZDoom: exactly how it's written, without spelling out the 'z' (i.e. not 'zee' or 'zed', just 'z').

GZDoom: something like Guh-zdoom (with the 'uh' part pronounced with the mouth open very little).

Yes, just like that.

scifista42 said:

I'm surprised I am the only one pronouncing the Z in ZDoom as "zeta"

Angry Saint said:

I'm surprised I am the only one pronuncing [sic] the Z in ZDoom as "zeta"

Following that, GZDoom sounds kinda funny. Golf Zeta Doom?