Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lightning Hunter

Question about cutscenes (story line parts)

I was wondering, is it possible to make doom show a story after every level instead of after evrery episode? In my upcoming 32 level Doom project, (Hell's Curse) I would like to have a small little story after each level you beat. Does any one know hot to do this?

Thanks!

For starters, I'm pretty sure it will require a zdoom project, not just a vanilla doom project. Zdoom will allow you to create cutscenes any time. You will most likely be using scripts in the process. Gooberman, Enjay and some others are good at it.

I am not going to make cutscene movies or anything, but just story cutscenes like the old Doom2 had. I don't want my project able to only play in 1 port for Doom, so If I cant edit it so that the stories will show up on all ports, then I wont do it.

At least how can I change the story cutscenes that are already in Doom? Can you do it with Wintex, Or something else?

you mean the ending text after maps 6, 11, 20, and 30 in Doom 2?

you need dehacked to changed the text if thats what you mean.

If you want story intermissions between all levels you have to go port. The only wads I have played that featured story intermissions at odd moments was for Zdoom.

Actually, I played a wad once where instead of the NOW ENTERING: X or NOW LEAVING: Y, there was text put there instead, so it told a story as you beat each level.

well, If any one figures it out, send me a e-mail or reply to this forumn or something. I would like to have a strong story to go along with my 32 level project.

And keep checking the Doomworld News for updates. The Hell's Curse Web page is going up soon.

I'm fairly sure you can do that with Jdoom DED and maybe EDGE DDF.

I know for Zdoom you need to edit (or add in) the MAPINFO.lmp file. I think Legacy might have this support as well... Plus, most everybody uses (or has) Zdoom.

Archvile64 said:

Actually, I played a wad once where instead of the NOW ENTERING: X or NOW LEAVING: Y, there was text put there instead, so it told a story as you beat each level.

Or just do this, because it will show up in any port.

Liam the Bard said:

You absolutely can do so in Jdoom, yep. In fact you can insert txt interludes pretty much anywhere you want :)

Sorry to use thread, but this is relevant. Is there a way using the legacy source port, using scripts or external tools or whatever, to insert a movie for the game intro? Or anywhere at all?
Movie formats like avi , mov, wmv, even gif?
If these are small videos, is there anyway to trigger these off? I want them to play during doom.

Liam the Bard said:

Definitely in EDGE!

well, I have decided to just change the "Now Entering" text into a story so that it will show up in every port without any extra script files. Now there is one more thing. How do I get rid of the default stories after level 6, 12, etc.? If I am going to have a story in the Now Entering part, then I don't want another story to come up after that :)

I dunno if you can totally take it out, but I know you can replace it with all spaces instead of letters so that it looks like there are no words there, using dehacked or something.

thats a good idea. I think Ill replace it with a picture of some sort. Anyone have any idea what I could replace it with? Maybe someone here can make a few pictures for me to replace the stories with. I would of course add you to the list of credits in the readme file :)

Heh, here's one lesson to be learned about the Doom Community: asking for people to make things for you, i.e. levels, graphics, etc, rarely will get you very far. Most people are either lazy as shit or already working on a project of their own.

I have seemed to have good luck... I already found a good midi composer, and a good story and texture editor for the project. I myself will be making all 32 levels. And another person in the project is making the web page. The web page is going up soon, hopefully within the next week.

i wish i had help but y'know im still in development stages atm
Ever play Perdition's Gate?