Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
IDGam3r

OLDoom(Old Doom Maps in the New Doom)

Recommended Posts

Hi, ever since I saw the Doom event at E3, I noticed that there was going to be a new way to make maps known as Doom SnapMap, and this sparked an idea, what if me and a few other loyal Doom fans could remake the Original Doom maps starting from Episode 1 Mission 1 in Ultimate Doom to the last map of Final Doom. and even the maps of Doom 3 and it's 2 expansions.

I personally would like to bring this idea to life once the new Doom is released, and I would like some help to help turn this idea into something all Doom fans can enjoy.

This project will also be a good way to show those new to the Doom franchise a glimpse into the past.

I am personally hoping that Doom SnapMap will also allow for Custom Music, Custom Sounds and Custom Textures so I could possibly bring the old Doom into the new Doom.

If you are interested in working with me on this project, please let me know.
Also if you have any questions please feel free to ask me, I'll do what I can to answer your question.

Thank you for your time

Share this post


Link to post

I'm convinced that this idea crossed the mind of everybody here. Also, neither D4 nor SnapMap are released yet, in fact it's not yet clear how SnapMap mapping will operate exactly, what will be possible, how easily so, etc. So, my only questions are: Why did you feel a need to make this thread already now, and why should the big project be centered around you out of all people?

Share this post


Link to post

I'm just hoping SnapMap will be advanced enough for us to recreate other stuff faithfully :) If it's all prefabs, I'll be a sad panda..

Share this post


Link to post

Firstly, I want to see remakes of most popular WADs, because I didn't played in Doom for years. I'm very excited about it after awesome things like Beyond Hell & Earth WAD.

Share this post


Link to post
BaronOfStuff said:

that other thing that was released with the BFG Edition (The Lost Mission).


Ugh that's why. I heard that expansion was like a teenager made a bunch of levels in a weekend and they slapped it on BFG edition trying to add incentive into buying the same game again but on a shittier engine by marketing it like they were originally meant to release it back in 2004/5ish when Doom 3 was still relevant.

Share this post


Link to post

You know what, I just don't get the whole nostalgia factor here. No doubt I would play through a Doom 1/2 remake at least once, but c'mon man, why would you clamor so much for something that's been done already? I mean, I pretty much never play that original maps, because there's so much user-made content out there. And importing the original textures? Gimme a break! Just play the original game. Now, obviously, I'm not going to stop anyone from wearing their rose-tinted glasses, it's just...I'm so much more excited about the prospect of new content, I just can't get excited about rehashing the old stuff yet again.

Share this post


Link to post
GoatLord said:

You know what, I just don't get the whole nostalgia factor here. No doubt I would play through a Doom 1/2 remake at least once, but c'mon man, why would you clamor so much for something that's been done already? I mean, I pretty much never play that original maps, because there's so much user-made content out there. And importing the original textures? Gimme a break! Just play the original game. Now, obviously, I'm not going to stop anyone from wearing their rose-tinted glasses, it's just...I'm so much more excited about the prospect of new content, I just can't get excited about rehashing the old stuff yet again.


Well I guess you don't have to play it?

I personally love replaying remakes/HD/new iterations of older games. Haven't you seen the hype for FFVII? Think that proves that most people love them.

Share this post


Link to post
Zemini said:

Well I guess you don't have to play it?

I personally love replaying remakes/HD/new iterations of older games. Haven't you seen the hype for FFVII? Think that proves that most people love them.


He has a point though. Alot of these elitists just want more of the same. Basically a copy paste of Old Doom with a graphics update. Anything more to them is sacrilege. Why even bother asking for a new game then? Would I play an HD iteration of Old Doom? Sure, but I'd much rather get something new and have the remake thrown in as a bonus.

Share this post


Link to post

Even though this idea doesn't interest me that much, I really hope snapmap has the facilities to allow it. Years ago I tried remaking E1M1-E1M4 in the Timesplitters map maker, and couldn't do the originals justice because none of the prefabs captured the iconic areas very well.

Fingers crossed.

Share this post


Link to post
scifista42 said:

I'm convinced that this idea crossed the mind of everybody here. Also, neither D4 nor SnapMap are released yet, in fact it's not yet clear how SnapMap mapping will operate exactly, what will be possible, how easily so, etc. So, my only questions are: Why did you feel a need to make this thread already now, and why should the big project be centered around you out of all people?




I know they are not released yet lol.

I know it's unclear how the whole mapping thing will work in Snap Map.

I am not really centering it all around me, i know my limits map making wise, i was hoping a few Doom enthusiasts would be able to help me to accomplish this.

Share this post


Link to post
Doomkid said:

I'm just hoping SnapMap will be advanced enough for us to recreate other stuff faithfully :) If it's all prefabs, I'll be a sad panda..



I would like to see the option to either create the linedefs and whatnot manualy aswell as premade stuff for those whom would like a simple way to make maps.

Share this post


Link to post
scifista42 said:

I'm convinced that this idea crossed the mind of everybody here.


It didn't cross my mind until I came across this thread.

That little note aside, unless SnapMap offers a more complex editing mode, I don't think it will be possible to keep the maps entirely identical to their 1990s counterparts. But it's a cool idea.

Share this post


Link to post

It would have to receive the proper amount of respect and care, not just some shitty snapped prefabs that a fan can fart in a weekend. It would have to be like Black Mesa, made by a team conscious of what fits the new game and what needs to be reinterpreted. I will not accept anything less. Even the Classic Doom 3 mod doesn't reach the standards it should. Black Mesa is what I am going to measure such a project if it's going to happen.

Share this post


Link to post
DooM_RO said:

IIt would have to be like Black Mesa, made by a team conscious of what fits the new game and what needs to be reinterpreted.


That does sound tempting and like a delicious project :), but isn't this what the game is already? I know it's not a strict 1:1, but.

Share this post


Link to post

This is exactly why I hope we get to test this out during the beta. One of the most important aspects of Doom is modding and level building. We need it Bethesda!

Share this post


Link to post

I hope the pc does come with a full toolset and not limited by Snapmap(Even though snapmap looks awesome) so we can see all of the classic DM/duel/CTF maps that we see in the Doom community today. Playing Dwango5Map01 or SSL2 would be great. Then again I'm a stickler for the ZDDL map pool and ruleset so I'm probably in the 1% that's incredibly picky.

Share this post


Link to post
GoatLord said:

You know what, I just don't get the whole nostalgia factor here. No doubt I would play through a Doom 1/2 remake at least once, but c'mon man, why would you clamor so much for something that's been done already? I mean, I pretty much never play that original maps, because there's so much user-made content out there. And importing the original textures? Gimme a break! Just play the original game. Now, obviously, I'm not going to stop anyone from wearing their rose-tinted glasses, it's just...I'm so much more excited about the prospect of new content, I just can't get excited about rehashing the old stuff yet again.

I'm reminded of how Lorne Lanning was interviewed about Oddworld: New 'n Tasty and how he mentioned fans would say "MAKE A REMAKE, BUT DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING", I get the feeling a lot of people feel the same about Doom. I also remember on another forum how people wanted "perfection" in Doom 4 but it was clear that they just wanted everything to be the same as the originals.

I love Doom 1 and Doom 2's pretty good but I just want something new, myself. A new game. And I'm excited about the content we'll see here. I'd kinda like some remade Quake II maps or something...

Share this post


Link to post
IDGam3r said:

I would like to see the option to either create the linedefs and whatnot manualy aswell as premade stuff for those whom would like a simple way to make maps.

That's a wonderful idea, I hope it turns out that way.

Share this post


Link to post

And just how do you expect to a 2.5 concept like linedefs to translate to a full 3D engine?

Share this post


Link to post

Don't you think the idea of fully customizable map construction is sweet, even if you're in a 2.5d limit with the editor? I mean worst case you could just have 2.5d maps during the build process that are rendered in full 3D. Or maybe a more user friendly implemetation of dummy sectors for bridges / multi story buildings.

I don't expect something as full-on controllable as Doom Builder, but I really do hope to at least be able to draw somewhat freeform room shapes.

Share this post


Link to post

Remake without changes is not possible. Look at Classic Doom mod in Doom 3 - fucking mess.

Share this post


Link to post

Classic Doom in Doom 3 was very fun imo. Obviously I didn't expect it to be made by hired professional map makers.

Wish the other episodes where available ;-(

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×