Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
129thVisplane

Software renderer problems in ZDoom and derivatives

For the sake of playing several ZDoom-based wads (NOT Brutal Doom, mind you) and making crappy overdetailed maps, I downloaded ZDoom, only to be confronted with this gross, unplayable mess of fake overblown motion blur. I made a video since screenshots cannot express the amount of fuckage that's going on. This happens even on the most recent version, though I used 2.7.1 in this video.

I'm running it with Wine 1.6.2 on Linux Mint 17.1.

Also, hardware renderers work just fine; tried GZDoom and ScoreDoom's hardware renderer, both with no problems. However, when I tried to switch to software rendering in ScoreDoom, the game crashed instantly upon level start. Here is the crash report if that helps any.

Other ports work perfectly fine too, including vanilla on DOSBox (which is not a port but including it anyway), Chocolate Doom, Crispy Doom and Doom Retro (which is also running on Wine).

So yes, looking for some help with this since I am a Linux newbie and completely lost on what is broken, wrong, or incorrectly configured.

(And yeah, I know, I could as well just use the hardware renderer and be done with it, but I like the software renderer more.)

(As an unrelated side note, ZDoom is not the only thing that doesn't like my computer. Any Source maps with skyboxes just vomit up nodraw and overstretched polygons all over the sky.)

Must be something in Wine's Direct3D wrapper? You can try `vid_forceddraw 1`. But yeah you should really be using the native version.

Either follow the compiling instructions on the wiki, or if 2.7.1 is good for you, then since I believe Mint is a Ubuntu based operating system, you can use the packages I provide: http://debian.drdteam.org/

Thanks guys. I compiled the native version and it runs fine.

For some reason when I originally went to grab ZDoom, I completely overlooked and missed the fact that it's available on Linux too; I just went with the Windows version because I knew of its existence.

To note, I've seen this before, and it's wine D3D wrapper reacting badly to vid_hwaalines (line antialiasing for the automap). No clue why it has an effect like this to everything, though.

Jaxxoon R said:

mona elisa

Mona Lisa

Which, BTW, I found to be a completely underwhelming painting when I saw it, and much smaller than I expected too.

At least I was there on a much quieter day than these poor saps: