Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fonze

Post your earliest wad and lets talk smack about it!

So this is destined for Post Hell, I'm sure. But before it goes, let's post our earliest wads and troll the Hell out of them!

I'll start first. I never planned on releasing this, its gonna totally suck to everyone on this site who isn't me, but I still love it. I put a lot of time into it, but being my second wad you know that means Jack squat.

You can see where my main focuses have always been, as well as my main weaknesses very clearly with this wad. Texture alignment is 98% because I'm just about ocd with that, even almost 5 years ago since this was finished, but detailing is so subtle most people won't even notice. Also, what little detailing was done was mostly done on flat walls, so no eye-grabbing greatness here.

Also, I had no idea back then how to make the sky, as you can see in the second-to-last (8th) screenshot. Troll it!

The wad features 3 maps, it was made in zDoom, and jumping is only required for one secret in MAP02 because I was stupid and forgot that jumping breaks MAP01...

The first map was more traditional Doom-y with the main area being a stereotypical box room. The second became a bit more concept-oriented as I experimented with other things, including different traps and attempting, somewhat poorly, to make a theater. The third was right around the time I was like, "f*ck this," and became an arena. Not much detail in the third map, but it is fun to play. Same with the first two, same with prolly most maps I make (unless you hate the concept/execution).

Each map features all difficulty levels in place so you have a choice there. Only a couple guns are different on each difficulty. This is where I started getting those, "how about if I make all the difficulty levels completely different from one another in ways the iWads didn't do" ideas.

Anyway, here it is. Play it if you have time to kill, or if you like talking smack and want something to base it off of. Or you could just tell me this is stupid and so am I, that's cool too. Drunk me doesn't care.

This wad was originally called Base Effect, but after I made the arena I named it "WADOSHIT" to reflect my sense of humor on it (to myself; no ones really seen this aside from maybe 2 other people). Also, I made it for Doom 1 so it could run with the Simpson's graphics and sound files from an old Simpson Doom mod I've had since a kid (not the sh*tty one for Doom 2). Which makes the "WADOSHIT" name even more fitting, haha.

Port: zDoom
IWad: Doom 1
Additional files (if you choose): Simp.gfx and simp.snd (graphics and sound files to replace Doom's monsters and pickups.
Addition info: jumping breaks MAP01, but is required for one secret in MAP02, because I'm stupid.

Screenshots of the Wad-o-garbage:
http://imgur.com/gallery/IhMKQ

The wad file by itself in a zipped folder:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9z1mehkgraqnuy8/WADOSHIT.zip?dl=0

As I said, I never originally planned on releasing this once I abandoned the idea of a megawad, so there is no text file.

I did make 2 changes to the first map just now, because 2 secrets were too difficult to find, so I changed those two wall textures. Everything else was left as it was.

Now let's get to the trollin!

And if you're brave enough, post up your own earliest wad!

Fonze said:

So this is destined for Post Hell, I'm sure.

Huh. Seems like a pretty cool thread idea if we're to interpret "troll" not as "say 'umad bro? fite me irl m8 ill rek u' to our earliest wads" but as "dispense retrospective (snarky) self-criticism"!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/97lws4xkkzm7nxr/Dark+fall+X.wad

My first map - yay

Made for Skulltag - Doom 2 IWAD

It's pretty blocky as in I didn't know how to change grid size until the end.
There are some mid textures in the place of walls because I thought just having a texture would be enough :P
One secret involves jumping to get.
Also dem moving doortraks

That's all I remember about it, also I've been wanting to remake it so expect a supercharged version of it sometime :s

@Fonze: Well, looking at the screens shows a pretty typical early wad experience. Meaning I don't think I'll be playing that.. :P I don't recognize your name, do you have any more recent releases to point me at? Kind of curious to see what you do now.

Early releases that were willingly uploaded are a bit more interesting, I think. My first released project was 10 years ago now. I made a series of singleplayer maps for Skulltag, very linear and boxy stuff. Quite a few ZDoomisms too, pretty terrible. Here are some screens (my lighting was the shit), download and the old Doomworld thread for fun. It's Serious Map time.

rdwpa said:

Huh. Seems like a pretty cool thread idea if we're to interpret "troll" not as "say 'umad bro? fite me irl m8 ill rek u' to our earliest wads" but as "dispense retrospective (snarky) self-criticism"!

Yeah, I'm hoping we all have a good sense of humor about this. Maybe trolling each other in jest will bring us together in a way being polite never could ;p

Supercupcake, I'll look at it when I get off work later tonight. Expect some trolling >:D

Hopefully we can all stay in good humor with this. Nobody's first map, or second, for that matter, can be all that great. My first few sucked, and this is the proof >.<

Then again, if we're gonna troll here, I may need someone to remind me that my maps still suck o.O

To Khorus: I've only released 2 other wads here, all the others I've made are old and suck prolly as bad as this one, haha. I don't want to derail this, so I'll pm you the links.

I looked at the screens, that was some sweet lighting. I'll check it out later as well.

Why call it trolling? It's a needlessly negative term, and even inappropriate, because everybody in this thread will expect provokative posting (given the title and instructions), also I thought trolling was malicious by definition, and that's why I don't like it, but simply exchanging harsh criticism about maps is all good.

Huh. I think my first maps are gone now. They were basically Zdoom format test levels where I used every single sector effect I could, basically just a bunch of strange rooms strung together. I remember them having some nasty node builder errors.

The first real set of levels I actually made (and conversely released) that I can find is this.

[GZDoom Doom2]

I'm not sure how I feel about this one nowadays. I guess I'm just indifferent to its existence.

Haha, good idea. I think I'll have to recreate it, because my hard drive decided to die right after I started making maps. Oh crap, there were so many of them... enough for a megawad. All of them were made in less than an hour though.

This contains slight edits of the first and second maps that I released back in '94. I don't have the very original versions of either but this is pretty close to what they would have been like. As the text file explains, the map with the designation E2M2 is actually the first map that I made and E2M1 was the second. The name "MY_1ST.WAD" pretty much gives that away though.

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/doom/m-o/nj_wads.zip

Got a few submissions already! Nice!

To scifista: I'm calling it trolling because it's in a light mood, and not meant to be a serious thread. Call it facetious if you want. Thanks also for being the first to take a somewhat negative tone, that's what I want to see here. Hell, someone could troll the idea of such a stupid thread of they wanted to. It all fits. :)

This thread isn't for anyone without a good sense of humor. Be nice, but have fun talking a little smack. I'd say as long as it's funnier than it is offensive it'll prolly fly and if you decide to make me your target you can say anything; it won't hurt my feelings.

Take this entire thread with a big grain of salt it's meant to be fun, almost like a roast, but don't be malicious.

Benevolent hatred (is that a thing? Screw it, it is now) is the way to go.

Well, I made this thing. Should run on any limit-removing port, but ZDoom is strongly recommended. Go ahead and curse it to the deepest circle of Hell. I won't take offense.

Nice thread. I Don't know if post mine as it's not even finished and without monsters. I gave up on it and then I started to work on my current wip.

If you want to give it go here you go.
It's for zdoom, there's no exit, it's kinda flat. Also ugly mono-textured mountains. Random textures taken fron Realm667.
Maybe I will remake it one day, and for sure it will be for Boom.

Alright, there are tons of submissions, but I don't want to be the only one talking sh*t! Even if you dont have time to play any of the maps here, let's get some trolling in general then. I'll play through as many maps as I can tonight and commense the mostly playful trolling afterward... But I'm going to feel really bad if I talk sh*t and no one says it back to me. Gotta have something to keep me humble ;)

Hell, you know my submission sucked in many areas when I couldn't figure out the sky, haha. Plenty to trash on.

Maybe someone could show this thread to Baron of Stuff so he stops derailing Doomkid's thread and just trolls me here. :)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/gctw3wlcnwutldg/RTB.wad

What. The. Fuck.

I don't know what this is, I don't know why I made it, I don't know what or where half the non-existant resources are from and I think it is for Plutonia (and ZDoom).

If I were to try and explain what this was then I would probably start talking about squid rape hentai and cat gore pictures (And we all know that horrible shit goes, downhill and very damn fast into your rectum whilst running over the nextdoor's pets).

It needs to be seen to be comprehended... And even then I can't comprehend that shit (what a paradox).

Just don't enjoy yourself, if you do then seek help.

EDIT: This is actually an "improved" version, take that in now that and cry about what it used to be later...

AOD-DOOM Map 3, circa 1996

A big retarded maze AND a big retarded teleport maze, truly I was a budding game designer

^ Tedium incarnate, just the screenshot of the map layout is enough to make me want to quit.

Whilst looking fairly competent and neat (in the style of the layout that is) it just looks like absolute agony to play.

I don't have my first (technically second) wad anymore due to a hard drive malfunction, but I do have a screenshot of it in WadAuthor. I could probably recreate it if I wanted to, but I don't give a shit -- unless someone would really want me to recreate it, which I highly doubt.

It was called "Forest Base" and I made it in 3 days and playtested it with Doom95.

Slightly bigger screenshot here.

To describe what I remember from it, it was a stupid mess of everything I could find in Doom 2: there was a lab/computer station, a library with panel textures, a crate storage room and a negative height door (with the ceiling clipping into the floor) that led to an outside area, which contained medusa effects and a teleporter to a hellish cave with a cyberdemon on a throne. I don't think there even was an exit.

And I wanted to make a 32-level megawad out of that shit.

There's also this thing, my third wad, which I've updated since the first ever version, but it's my first (and only) released wad so I guess it counts.
(I'm seriously ashamed of that text file; I don't recommend reading it.)

rdwpa said:

I hope every dot in the maze is a baron DOOR WITH HEALTH.

Luckily they're mostly imps with a couple of demons and cacos IIRC, and the way out is marked with floor guts in front of the proper way to turn, but still, yeah.

From DEADMAN.wad (not released on Idgames archive) circa 2002 (13 years old at the time) Teleports everywhere, gameplay is linear, two arenas... yeah pretty boring.

Runs in Vanilla doom2.exe (v1.666)
Built with a DOS map editor (Doom Map Edit v4.1)

Map slot: MAP29 (because I liked D_SHAWN)

There's also a boss map (MAP30)

IWAD: Plutonia
Port: ZDoom only.
Download: Here
Maps: 2 finished and the start of a third.

Technically not my first wad, as my first was a procedurally generated maze with random spawning monsters made with ZDoom. Unfortunately, I no longer have it.

These maps feature ACS scripts that randomise some elements of the map, but since you probably won't be playing them more than once, you won't actually notice. Oh, there are also slopes, cos ZDoom.

Ah, nxgangrel opened himself up for a bit of fun. I did play your maps... hehe. Since I haven't yet tested any others here yet, I guess you're to be the first target >:D
So here it goes:

In the spirit of George RR Martin I will now say something else before getting to the point.

Keep in mind, everyone, that this thread is meant to be a joke. Anything said here should be assumed to be a joke unless stated otherwise. If it gets out of hand I'm sure it will go to Post Hell, so let's all have a good sense of humor about this.
I'll try and set the tone light, so I dont ruffle too many feathers, as this will be the first "trolling" of the thread. I won't hold any punches, however, as I don't want y'all to hold em on me. If the tones get a bit darker, but still in a good way, that should be ok as long as we all stay humble and laugh at ourselves and our mistakes of the past.

It's hard to convey sarcasm, facetiousness, and light-heartedness over text, so we should assume that the person who eventually posts something mean-sounding isn't trying to be a total dick, but just trying to go along with the fun.

And now the zombi-- I mean drago-- I mean trolling:

NxGangrel, your Circuitry wad was so brutal it made me want to play OCD Doom, which made me want to crush myself to death irl. (because the voodoo doll effects. *looks around* anyone? ... Eh, tough crowd)
The low lighting, low health/ammo and constant hitscan enemies was so bad I had to cheat to keep my sanity by the 5th level, I think. (or maybe I did lose it and am now like Toodles, "I've lost me marbles!")
The texturing was so strange I was afraid to move onto certain floors, which compounded the fear levels generated from the fact that I couldn't see enemies 5 feet in front of my face. I was strongly considering buying myself a pacifier and curling up with it in a cold shower trying to convince myself it wasn't real.

Oh and don't get me started about you putting in the Doom 2 iWad with it, that's about as bad a couple of guys trying to make a battle chess game that uses Doom sprites (even though only one is doing all the work, while the other [me] is just throwing out a bunch of useless information and oppinions).

Hey how many people does it take to make a community map?
Two! One to make the layout and the other (me) to throw feces all over it! ... Speaking of which...

Idk what kind of drugs you were on to make such an abomination you damned hippie (can I make that call having never seen you? Eh, f*ck it, my evil sense of humor tells me it's too late now), but it was certainly a fun experience and worth the nightmares that will haunt me for the rest of my life. :)

I guess this is what y'all can expect from me... I look forward to see if anyone else gets to the trolling.

Who's gonna be next...?