Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fonze

Post your earliest wad and lets talk smack about it!

LanHikariDS said:

Eeeehhhh... Sonic in Doom... I'm not even going to touch that.

The level design is even worse .

I tried searching for my first WAD ever, and had no luck locating them, however, I did find this little gem that never saw a release. It's a GZDoom(I know the latest build works) project, and also the first I ever did in UDMF with advanced features. So there's a bunch of new stuff and new monsters of course, since I was so enthralled with adding new things to doom.

The map is... well huge. I tried to delete all the enemies and weapons/objects that weren't in the actual map in order to reduce the download size, and managed to cut off about 5MB... and then I compressed it into a .zip down to 5MB, so hopefully the download doesn't kill you. (The UDMF map data takes up 8MB in uncompressed format)

I also wouldn't recommend trying to play this if you don't have a pretty decent PC, it's quite a resource heavy map.

Download: Distribution Center

[MAG]Nathan said:

1. Not every has or plays with brutal. Figured better safe than sorry. I have a feeling the download went fine, but I leave it out next time.

2. Definitely my bad.

3. Use your imagination. The door is only meant to be opened by the guy behind the desk. Not a terribly tough concept to grasp. As with most of the doors for the level. I said you'd have to look for things. The door is meant to be quick. The idea is to force you into making a quick decision, though I probably could think of a more creative way to implement that concept. So thanks for pointing that out.

4. That's all your supposed to get. Another bad of mine. It's supposed to be hard. If it works the way I want it to, you should end the level with no ammo, and little health.

5. It's actually weaker than a hellknight, and has no projectile. It shouldn't be that hard. And if it is, fuck him, head for the exit. If it means anything, he's meant to be form of foreshadowing. In the next few levels, you'll face nothing near his difficulty. But, the player should know big fuckers are going to exist.

So couple questions. Did you get the armor?

And something you may have noticed, I was going for a good bit of ambience. As soon as you see that pool of blood by the first switch, you should know that shit's fucked. That mixed with the flickering lights. Did I get the point across with what I did? If I didn't, any ideas on how to improve the idea?

Don't get so defensive, the point of this thread is to talk shit about the WADs :P That being said, I didn't pay much attention on what was good, just on what you did wrong. Yes, I did get the armor, and, with the Knight, I opened the door he was behind THROUGH the bars, and never actually managed to open the bars, so he just ran around the cage as I tried (In vein) to punch him through the bars.
Anyways, I really wasn't THAT bothered about the Brutal Doom pk3 being included, I just needed an extra point to complain about :P Honestly, your map wasn't remarkably bad, so, keep it up

LanHikariDS said:

I just got off work, so when I'm done with this, you're going to get it ROYAL

Eeeehhhh... Sonic in Doom... I'm not even going to touch that.

Pansy. One does not simply escape being Snoic'd.

Rayzik said:

I tried searching for my first WAD ever, and had no luck locating them, however, I did find this little gem that never saw a release. It's a GZDoom(I know the latest build works) project, and also the first I ever did in UDMF with advanced features. So there's a bunch of new stuff and new monsters of course, since I was so enthralled with adding new things to doom.

The map is... well huge. I tried to delete all the enemies and weapons/objects that weren't in the actual map in order to reduce the download size, and managed to cut off about 5MB... and then I compressed it into a .zip down to 5MB, so hopefully the download doesn't kill you. (The UDMF map data

I also wouldn't recommend trying to play this if you don't have a pretty decent PC, it's quite a resource heavy map.

Download: Distribution Center

Honestly, I don't have much to complain about here. The only things that bothered me were the slowdown and the sparse ammo, otherwise, I REALLY liked the map

Jaxxoon R said:

Pansy. One does not simply escape being Snoic'd.

http://i.imgur.com/AjAVG6bl.png

NO, NOT THE SANIC!

LanHikariDS said:

Don't get so defensive, the point of this thread is to talk shit about the WADs :P That being said, I didn't pay much attention on what was good, just on what you did wrong. Yes, I did get the armor, and, with the Knight, I opened the door he was behind THROUGH the bars, and never actually managed to open the bars, so he just ran around the cage as I tried (In vein) to punch him through the bars.
Anyways, I really wasn't THAT bothered about the Brutal Doom pk3 being included, I just needed an extra point to complain about :P Honestly, your map wasn't remarkably bad, so, keep it up

I took the thread more seriously than I should have. Didn't really put thought into the title "talk smack" and all that.

I apologies for being kinda dickish.

Doomkid said:

God damn this made me laugh. Reposting to share the lol

I was an idiot kid newbie Doomer back then and I am surprised Ling still remembers that. @Ling: Do you still have the actual email so I can look at my past stupidity? By mailbombing, do you speak of 10+ emails and ICQ messages full of those words repeated over and over?

I also remember making a level with DoomCAD for Doom 2 which was an utter disaster due to no blockmap being built, on top of not able to find that crap map made back in the day. It was likely lost on an ancient hard drive or to a format.

I don't still have the first few (never finished) maps I made, but here's the first map I ever finished: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=17373 (requires prboom-plus, complevel 9)

I'm actually pretty fond of most of it; there's a few exploits here and there that I'd clean up if I ever had a "re-do", but most of it is pretty good.

With one big exception.

The detailing in the Red Key trap... oh god why did I do that. Good luck and have fun with walls that might as well be made out of velcro in a super-claustrophobic close-quarters battle!

CapNapalm said:

Napalm Deathmatches
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/doom2/deathmatch/Ports/m-o/napdm01.zip

Dear lord. I had obviously been playing too much GothicDM and thought I could compete.

Honestly, I don't have much to bitch about, good job! Your maps are really nice, and I enjoyed just strolling around. In the first level, there's a pit of lava that doesn't deal damage, I don't know if it's inteded to be accessible, but you ca get into it pretty easily. One thing about your second and third levels, though, since this is meant for deathmatch, you shouldn't typically have exit switches. I'm keeping this WAD on my computer.

Cynical said:

I don't still have the first few (never finished) maps I made, but here's the first map I ever finished: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=17373 (requires prboom-plus, complevel 9)

I'm actually pretty fond of most of it; there's a few exploits here and there that I'd clean up if I ever had a "re-do", but most of it is pretty good.

With one big exception.

The detailing in the Red Key trap... oh god why did I do that. Good luck and have fun with walls that might as well be made out of velcro in a super-claustrophobic close-quarters battle!

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST, ARE YOU MAD, SIR?! I start the map, and my first words are, "Ah, HELL nah." This... This is some seriously hardcore shit... if anyone can beat this level on their first try... you're cheating.

Alright, time to roast one of the roasters >:D

LanHakariDS is now on the grill

The title "Haunted Mansion" was fitting, because now I'm haunted by memories of playing it. Matter of fact, I played it two days ago and it took me this long to realize that it wasn't all a bad dream.

To start off, you start on top of a shotgun. I guess an intro is asking for too much nowadays ;) Then you turn around and there's 3 more shotguns right there. Yeah, they could have been 1 box and 1 4-pack, but now you get to choose which one looks like it has the fewest scratches and blood on it.

This map was riddled with more mistakes than the life of Gomer Pile, or most old rock bands. I think even Gomer would stop at some point and ask sarge if the ghosts that haunt this particular mansion like to playtest ;p

Then there's all the square altars that riddle the map. Idk why, but I decided they looked interesting enough to stand on... Yeah, bad idea. Worse than the time when I was 8 or 9 and tried to climb to the top of a 40-foot pine tree.

Then there's the dark, 64-wide passageway that 90s several times for no apparent reason. And what would make more sense than lining it with pipes? How about allowing those walls to open whenever a random shoot-out occurs so all the contents go splashing out onto the floors? Man I hope no one's taking the Browns to the Superbowl when that happens. Then the pipes randomly slant downward; idk what the plumber/pipefitters were thinking the day they installed those pipes, but I'm guessing that meth was involved.

After finally getting outside there's a wall so skullterfucked that even the word skullterfuck doesn't fully describe it. Imagine a line of skulls on poles packed so closely together that they just look like 5-7 horizontal lines. Yup.

Then there's a bridge. But oh no, not just any bridge. This bridge attempts to murder you. Yes, I know that it seems like a nice cozy spot to take your sweetheart for a casual stroll by the blood-lake, but the bridge gets a little jealous. You see, after that Australian woman married that bridge in France, this bridge feels like you're getting too cozy with your gun. Maybe it feels unloved; maybe it just needs a hug, but unfortunately I do not know how to hug in Doom. So instead I ran by screaming like a girl.

To top it all off, there's 3 apparently AWOL marines hiding out in the mansion that just stare you down like you don't belong. One of em was even standing behind a bar and wouldn't poor me a drink when my money was perfectly fine.

After all that, we're gifted with a secret invul sphere that turns out to be useless as the teleporter just takes you to sky-Hell. In sky-Hell, you can't remember your name, because there ain't no one for to give you no pain. There's no friends, no does, just isolation. In sky-Hell, you are given three choices, though only 2 are apparent at first. First you contemplate the meaning of the universe in an attempt to discover that you are The One and can now bend reality to your will. After much frustration, you subsequently decide that suicide seems like a better option. But this is sky-Hell, there is no easy way out. Several failed suicide attempts later, you finally decide to head for the 2001:ASO monolith to ask it why you've become a giant embryo floating in space. Then you teleport to another square room with a cyberdemon who tells you that he likes squares and a Keen who's not sharing the good stuff. Then you get to fight an IoS on a flat surface because that's challenging.

There arent many things I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy, but this is one of them.

If you were to take all the shotgunners in this map and put em in a room with some typewriters, they'd all kill each other by accident like they did when I played the map.

I think this is the last thing Kurt Cobain saw before he pulled the trigger.

If Adam and Eve would have known that eating the Apple would one day lead to this, they would have burned the tree down.

But hey, it's not so bad. If they can make penicillin out of some old, moldy bread, just imagine what they could do with this!

All in all, there's little for me to joke about, aside from the obvious things. It was fun to play; a nice, casual stroll. Very easy. I would like to see this map redone to fix all the mistakes and then made bigger. After playing this I'd like to play a haunted mansion map that is bigger and more realistic. Good stuff ^^

Fonze said:

Alright, time to roast one of the roasters >:D

LanHikariDS is now on the grill

XDXDXD Excuse me while a catch my breath and wipe the tears from my eyes... That gold was well worth the wait.

Truth be told, the first draft was much longer. But apparently my laptop wasn't about to reschedule the OS update last night, or warn me in advance for that matter, so it was all lost. Ah... technology

Gotta have something to keep me humble I suppose, heh

LanHikariDS said:

One thing about your second and third levels, though, since this is meant for deathmatch, you shouldn't typically have exit switches. I'm keeping this WAD on my computer.

Back in the day we always put exit switches in our maps ;)

But thanks for the kind words.

Fonze dont tell me you going to play all those wads lol because seriously DM_NEPTUN would make anyone soo mad, well if you wanna play that under your own risk, bring with you tarsman so both can share the rage in a coop mode (im quite surprised that people downloaded the wad 7 times even if i put the warning there lol)

Z0k said:

Fonze dont tell me you going to play all those wads lol because seriously DM_NEPTUN would make anyone soo mad, well if you wanna play that under your own risk, bring with you tarsman so both can share the rage in a coop mode (im quite surprised that people downloaded the wad 7 times even if i put the warning there lol)

You know what? Shit, that's actually a great idea. I wouldn't mind blowing through some of these with some assistance.

Cynical said:

And just think, my newer map (http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?file=levels/doom2/Ports/g-i/impoffer.zip) is far less kind-hearted!

So, I broke and tried it, and I must say, your texturing is just beautiful, I mean, just look at how amazing this is:

Jaxxoon R said:

I'll do one once I'm done watching Joel ruin another computer, and finished my milkshake.

I just realized you were talking about a Vinesauce stream

Z0k said:

LanHikariDS said:

You know what? Shit, that's actually a great idea. I wouldn't mind blowing through some of these with some assistance.

That is a good idea hahaha. Have another person to share in the pain ^^ Ragequit together. That shit would be so funny.

Idk if ima play through every one. I guess if I was playing with someone we could blow through more than a few in a night, but solo the most I ever got was 2 or 3 done in one night. That was only because I had like 5 hours to burn and they were all fairly short. The long ones take their tolls, lol.

If anyone does want to share the rage with another unfortunate sap message me and we'll see if we can't figure something out.

Fonze said:

That is a good idea hahaha. Have another person to share in the pain ^^ Ragequit together. That shit would be so funny.

Idk if ima play through every one. I guess if I was playing with someone we could blow through more than a few in a night, but solo the most I ever got was 2 or 3 done in one night. That was only because I had like 5 hours to burn and they were all fairly short. The long ones take their tolls, lol.

If anyone does want to share the rage with another unfortunate sap message me and we'll see if we can't figure something out.

I'm game. Just give me a Date/Time (I run on Eastern Daylight Time), Skype name, ZDL IP (I run 3.2.2.2), and a WAD (Nothing made by Cynical)

My earliest convenience is in about 2 hours, so if anyone's up, let's roll. Fair warning, I'll most likely be recording the game and our voices for YouTube, if you don't want to, that's cool.

LanHikariDS said:

I'm game. Just give me a Date/Time (I run on Eastern Daylight Time), Skype name, ZDL IP (I run 3.2.2.2), and a WAD (Nothing made by Cynical)

My earliest convenience is in about 2 hours, so if anyone's up, let's roll. Fair warning, I'll most likely be recording the game and our voices for YouTube, if you don't want to, that's cool.

I won't be able to tonight, but I'm usually free starting around midnight-1 am EST all the way through roughly 5 am, give or take an hour.

I've always been a bit of a hermit, so I cant say I've ever used skype. Idk if a webcam is necessary or if just a mic will be ok. Or, for that matter, if my new laptop even came with a camera, lol. I used to use ventrillo back when I used to play WoW, so I at least got a mic, heh.

Don't care about being recorded, but I may be drinking while Dooming, so if I disappear for a while I may be getting hauled off to jail. Go on without me ;p

*Edit*
The endless possibilities of a chess-influenced Doom are always cool to think about. Geo is working on a battle chess styled game that will have the capacity to use Room sprites that I think will be pretty sweet. There's also the chess games people have made within Doom that are sometimes cool, often broken though, lol. Someone had mentioned making a Doom chess that operates similar to the Mortal Kombat chess where each piece would have a set life % and would battle it out upon contact. Maybe with the Master of Puppets mod that could be possible.

There's others too, but I don't want to write a thesis here ;p

Fonze said:

I won't be able to tonight, but I'm usually free starting around midnight-1 am EST all the way through roughly 5 am, give or take an hour.

I've always been a bit of a hermit, so I cant say I've ever used skype. Idk if a webcam is necessary or if just a mic will be ok. Or, for that matter, if my new laptop even came with a camera, lol. I used to use ventrillo back when I used to play WoW, so I at least got a mic, heh.

Huh, same schedule as me, though not ALWAYS to 5:00a. I'd say, like, 12:00a to 3:00a, maybe later

You CAN use a camera with Skype, but you aren't required to. I won't be looking at (Or recording) any video feed you send, so for the sake of bandwidth, you'd best just leave it off. As for a mic, that's kinda the whole point, so... yeah. I guess we'll meet up about this time tomorrow? Now the question remains, what shall we play? :P

Oh shit, I know exactly what it's gotta be.

Jaxxoon submitted a map one page one, fourth one submitted I think (including mine) and I forgot all about it. Jaxxoon posted some good stuff here and we owe it to him to trash the Hell out of his submission. It's called Beef Jerky and I'm debating if I want to take a quick look at it tonight or go in blind.

Depending on its length, if we go for another you should choose it. Maybe one from a well-known member or one that sounds either short or interesting/funny.

LanHikariDS said:

So, I broke and tried it, and I must say, your texturing is just beautiful, I mean, just look at how amazing this is:

Read the textfile -- needs cc4-tex.wad to be loaded with it.

(Also, since you're playing in ZDoom, make sure you're using a reasonably recent version, and are using the Boom stairbuilder behavior, not the Vanilla stairbuilder behavior.)

Fonze said:

Oh shit, I know exactly what it's gotta be.

Jaxxoon submitted a map one page one, fourth one submitted I think (including mine) and I forgot all about it. Jaxxoon posted some good stuff here and we owe it to him to trash the Hell out of his submission. It's called Beef Jerky and I'm debating if I want to take a quick look at it tonight or go in blind.

Depending on its length, if we go for another you should choose it. Maybe one from a well-known member or one that sounds either short or interesting/funny.

Let's run in blind :P I'ma download it now. and get it prepped. I'm only going to see if it uses a custom status bar/face/sounds, because if not, I prefer to use my VariaDoomVisor

EDIT: Well, I got lost in the PK3 system, so I decided I'm just not going to use VariaDoomVisor