Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cortlong50

A few (decently advanced) questions about Doom Builder and resources.

Okay. here we go, im gonna lay em all out here and see what kind of replies i get.

1. Does ANYONE have a resource i can use for a debri spawner? I have a room that is half destroyed because of the teleporter ripping it into another dimension (its neat) but i have all the sounds in place...but i really need more to it. i want something that looks like it is pulling rubble and debris into it. ive been trying to make one for almost a week now and cannot for the life of me figure it out. (if someone made me one they would get full credit on the title screen.)

2. how do i add my own ambient sounds into a pack? i found one from doom3 (damnation also used them and i gave full credit) but i cant seem to add my own, plus there is a few sounds that dont work properly that i would like to fix.

3. how do i make it so an ambient sound doesnt just continually loop forever? can i assign 2 different sndinfo lines to the same sound so that when i cross a line or hit a switch it activates the sound ONCE?

4. How do i mute ambient sounds behind line defs? can i make it so if i were on the other side of a door i wouldnt be able to hear the noises?

what else....

5. does anyone know where i can find some good looking urban textures that kind of have that VALHALLA/quake look going on? but for the city? because...yes...its going to be a city pack. (we need more of them that actually play well.)

6. ill add more as i go.

for now here is a few screens so that you have a little faith in this project. (this is my first mapping project, so be gentle..i am also way in over my head...and i aint stoppin! gunning for that cacoward.)

#1: How were you trying to make it, via DECORATE or ACS? Can you post the script of your attempt?

#2: Put them into your wad, define their logical names and ambient sound indexes via SNDINFO, then place the proper ambient sound things into your map.

#3: If you want a sound to only play once, don't put it as an ambient sound thing, but use ThingSound or a similar script action.

#4: No, but maybe you can simulate it by spawning and removing the ambient sound thing based on player's position (when he crosses certain linedefs).

#5: http://www.realm667.com/index.php/en/texture-stock-mainmenu-152-97360/other-sources-styles-mainmenu-155-26369

scifista42 said:

#1: How were you trying to make it, via DECORATE or ACS? Can you post the script of your attempt?

#2: Put them into your wad, define their logical names and ambient sound indexes via SNDINFO, then place the proper ambient sound things into your map.

#3: If you want a sound to only play once, don't put it as an ambient sound thing, but use ThingSound or a similar script action.

#4: No, but maybe you can simulate it by spawning and removing the ambient sound thing based on player's position (when he crosses certain linedefs).

#5: http://www.realm667.com/index.php/en/texture-stock-mainmenu-152-97360/other-sources-styles-mainmenu-155-26369

Thanks so much for the replies man. i seriously appreciate it. ive been looking everywhere, but having a really hard time finding any answers.

sticking to the previous format.

1. here is attempt one.
Actor debrispawner 5521
{
+NoClip
+NoBlockMap
+NoGravity
+Missile
+FORCEXYBILLBOARD
States
{
Spawn:
TNT1 A 0
TNT1 AAAAA 0 A_CustomMissile ("shard1", 0, 0, random (0, 360), 2, random (0, 180))
TNT1 AAAAA 0 A_CustomMissile ("debri", 0, 0, random (0, 360), 2, random (0, 180))
TNT1 AAAAA 0 A_CustomMissile ("shard6", 0, 0, random (0, 180), 2, random (0, 180))
TNT1 AAAAA 0 A_CustomMissile ("debri", 0, 0, random (0, 180), 2, random (0, 180))
TNT1 A 1
loop
}
}
here is attempt 2. (completely unfinished.)
actor SpawnDebris 8901
{
//$Category SpecialFX
height 8
radius 4
+NOBLOCKMAP
+NOGRAVITY
+NOSECTOR
+NOCLIP
+CLIENTSIDEONLY
states
{
Spawn:
Active:
TNT1 AAAA 0 A_SpawnItemEx ("SimpleWallChunk1", random(-1,1),random(-1,1),1, velx*random(0,30)+random(-2,2),vely*random(0,60)+random(-2,5), velz+random(-2,12),random(-60,85),168)
TNT1 A 0 A_SpawnItemEx ("MetalShard8", random(-1,1),random(-1,1),1, velx*random(0,30)+random(-2,2),vely*random(0,30)+random(-2,2), velz+random(-2,12),random(-60,60),168)
TNT1 AA 0 A_SpawnItemEx ("MetalShard7", random(-1,1),random(-1,1),1, velx*random(0,30)+random(-2,2),vely*random(0,30)+random(-2,2), velz+random(-2,12),random(-60,60),168)
TNT1 AA 0 A_SpawnItemEx ("MetalShard6", random(-1,1),random(-1,1),1, velx*random(0,30)+random(-2,2),vely*random(0,30)+random(-2,2), velz+random(-2,12),random(-60,60),168)
Inactive:
TNT1 A -1
stop
}
}

now ive been trying to keep them as simple as possible...and its really not working. its driving me crazy because i dont want them to be too advanced, or have to call on too many resources. i want it to play as well with mods as possible.

2. i have done that...a thousand times, if i can figure out how to hide spoilers on this forum i will include my sndinfo lump...because no matter what it isnt including them in the sounds portion of doombuilder...or anywhere for that matter.

3. is there any way to do it without scripts? i use scripts for reflections and stuff but im wondering if there is a simple way to get it done...i for whatever reason want to avoid scripts as much as possible...if it isnt possible thats fine.

4. thats actually a damn good idea...maybe i can make it so when i cross certain things it teleports it to a different position in the map?

5.yesss. thank you. i will give that thing a full once over.

once again, i appreciate the help, if you wanna throw down on this map pack with me let me know. i would love the help.

#1: The actor must inherit from SwitchableDecoration class in order to work as a switchable decoration:

actor SpawnDebris : SwitchableDecoration 8901
Also, I'm not sure how does the actor remember whether it's activated or deactivated. It's quite possible that once you activate it, you cannot activate it again until you deactivate it first. So, call Thing_Deactivate at least 1 tic after you call Thing_Activate on the thing (scripts are great for this). Or how are you even trying to activate it, how do you want it to be activated?

#3: The only sound-related action special that works on a linedef is Sector_ChangeSound, so you would have to define your ambient sound as a sound sequence. Or Thing_Remove, as I said before. I suggest you don't avoid using scripts, the basic syntax is easy, and then you just browse zdoomwiki to find out which functions are suitable for your purpose, and use them with any parameters you want.

scifista42 said:

#1: The actor must inherit from SwitchableDecoration class in order to work as a switchable decoration:

actor SpawnDebris : SwitchableDecoration 8901
Also, I'm not sure how does the actor remember whether it's activated or deactivated. It's quite possible that once you activate it, you cannot activate it again until you deactivate it first. So, call Thing_Deactivate at least 1 tic after you call Thing_Activate on the thing (scripts are great for this). Or how are you even trying to activate it, how do you want it to be activated?

#3: The only sound-related action special that works on a linedef is Sector_ChangeSound, so you would have to define your ambient sound as a sound sequence. Or Thing_Remove, as I said before. I suggest you don't avoid using scripts, the basic syntax is easy, and then you just browse zdoomwiki to find out which functions are suitable for your purpose, and use them with any parameters you want.

okay, so lets say (the first use), i want it to spawn the debris under water the moment i cross a line...or (second use) i want the debris to be running and floating into the void described before the entire time i am playing the map, so when i enter the room i am flabbergasted at how demolishing this gateway is. see what im saying?

okay, so how do i make it so when i cross a line...or when i pick up a key would i make it activate that sound (or thing in this case)? because im trying to attach it to a line def right now and it isnt working.

Tell me, do you want the activation be repeatable? Like, the very same SpawnDebris thing at a specific position be activated more than once during the course of the map?

If it doesn't need to be repeatable, try this:

Spoiler

actor SpawnDebris : SwitchingDecoration 8901
{
  //$Category SpecialFX
  height 8
  radius 4
  +NOBLOCKMAP
  +NOGRAVITY
  +NOSECTOR
  +NOCLIP
  +CLIENTSIDEONLY
  states
  {
    Spawn:
      TNT1 A -1
      stop
    Active:
      TNT1 AAAA 0 A_SpawnItemEx ("SimpleWallChunk1", random(-1,1),random(-1,1),1, velx*random(0,30)+random(-2,2),vely*random(0,60)+random(-2,5), velz+random(-2,12),random(-60,85),168)
      TNT1 A 0 A_SpawnItemEx ("MetalShard8", random(-1,1),random(-1,1),1, velx*random(0,30)+random(-2,2),vely*random(0,30)+random(-2,2), velz+random(-2,12),random(-60,60),168)
      TNT1 AA 0 A_SpawnItemEx ("MetalShard7", random(-1,1),random(-1,1),1, velx*random(0,30)+random(-2,2),vely*random(0,30)+random(-2,2), velz+random(-2,12),random(-60,60),168)
      TNT1 AA 0 A_SpawnItemEx ("MetalShard6", random(-1,1),random(-1,1),1, velx*random(0,30)+random(-2,2),vely*random(0,30)+random(-2,2), velz+random(-2,12),random(-60,60),168)
      stop
  }
}

Then activate the thing via Thing_Activate, either from a linedef (when the player crosses it), or from an OPEN script (automatically launched at the beginning of the map). Either way, the thing will remove itself from the map right after activation.

Okay with the debris spawner I mainly want it to be placeable like spark up and spark down or like any other decorate item. I simply can't get it to continually spew debris into the room.
So would that code work if I placed it with a loop instead of a stop at the end?

My main concern right now is how to activate sounds when I cross a line def? I have looked allllll night and cannot figure out how to make it so when I cross a line or activate something or pick something up to make it play a noise. My best idea is to make it five the player something that plays the sound. Because I am out of ideas as far as ACS is concerned. I know it's possible. I just need it to play the sound when I enter a room. That way I can apply it all over the map to specific things.

also, is there a way to include a "turn off reflections" function in my wad, similar to johnny fives way of doing it? bind a key to it and add it to the inventory when its needed? that would be awesome.

im just using "set plane reflection" on sectors...thats it.

heres how he did it.

//Weather toggle effect
ACTOR Action_WeatherToggle : CustomInventory
{
Inventory.Amount 1
Inventory.MaxAmount 1
-INVBAR
+UNDROPPABLE

States
{
Use:
TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIfInventory("Flag_NoWeather",1,1)
Goto StopEffects
TNT1 A 0 A_Print("Weather effects ON")
TNT1 A 1 A_TakeInventory("Flag_NoWeather",999)
TNT1 A 1 ACS_ExecuteAlways(941,0,0,0,0)
Fail
StopEffects:
TNT1 A 0 A_Print("Weather effects OFF")
TNT1 A 1 A_GiveInventory("Flag_NoWeather",1)
TNT1 A 1 ACS_ExecuteAlways(941,0,0,0,0)
Fail
}
}

ACTOR Flag_NoWeather : Inventory
{
Inventory.Amount 1
Inventory.MaxAmount 1
-INVBAR
}

//////////////////////////////

addkeysection "JonnyFive's weatherFX" WeatherFX
addmenukey "Toggle weatherFX Effects" weather_toggle
alias weather_toggle "Use Action_WeatherToggle"
defaultbind F12 weather_toggle

okay, new question.

how do i make it so when i activate a switch it removes the damaging property from a sector?

You can set the damaging effect to the sector via Sector_SetDamage at the beginning of the map (in an OPEN script), and later (in a switch-activated script) call Sector_SetDamage again with damage 0. Note that this function cannot remove damaging effect specified in the sector's special.

Alternatively, use Generic_Floor (or a variant of this function) with the flag to remove/change the sector's special.

Scifista, youre the man and the map is finishing! I actually put it to good use, you have to shoot the power terminals to get in the water.

if youd like ill send you a demo of the wad so far!

I have another question, how would i change the brightness in a sector once it reaches a certain height? (or is there a way to delay that i could use to time it so it seems like that happens)

here are some screens so you know (hopefully anyway, doomers are a picky bunch) that its going to good use and hopefully making something people will enjoy.

check out the slant shadows in these shots...im really trying to get the lighting perf ect....THESE ROOMS ARE NOWHERE NEAR DONE!

also can you explain to me what the hell this is all about? if i make a room near a room with a sky, and put a 3d floor in it...for some reason i get these parts where the sky shows through and it creates areas in the room where i cant walk?
WHY?

ONE MORE.

sorry about all the posts, i should just add them into one go, but i wont.

does anyone have any tips for adding monsters and ammo, like is it more of an art than a science? i cant seem to get it down and feel like im breezing through shit, while the people i watch play my maps get absolutely obliterated.

cortlong50 said:

I have another question, how would i change the brightness in a sector once it reaches a certain height? (or is there a way to delay that i could use to time it so it seems like that happens)

You can use Delay, TagWait or ScriptWait.

cortlong50 said:

also can you explain to me what the hell this is all about? if i make a room near a room with a sky, and put a 3d floor in it...for some reason i get these parts where the sky shows through and it creates areas in the room where i cant walk?
WHY?

No idea without seeing the wad. By the way, the screenshots look pretty good, and I accept your offer to get me a demo.

cortlong50 said:

ONE MORE.

sorry about all the posts, i should just add them into one go, but i wont.

does anyone have any tips for adding monsters and ammo, like is it more of an art than a science? i cant seem to get it down and feel like im breezing through shit, while the people i watch play my maps get absolutely obliterated.

You can edit your posts, you know? There is an Edit button at the bottom right of each post.

Anyway, check out these threads:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-editing/69953-tips-on-monster-placement/
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-editing/60060-tips-on-monster-placement/
(they are actually 2 different threads)

Impressive screens and shadows. The first city shot honestly made me think of "The Last of Us"... If you've never played it that's quite a compliment on initial observation, even at a glance.

If this is your first project then i'm thoroughly impressed. This is my first post in months; I came here to try out level design myself and my work was no where near that quality. I haven't made anything since then but i'm almost sure that it still wouldn't be if I hadn't of quit! If you need another playtester shoot me a pm. I'll play it in whatever port/difficulty level you desire for best results.

edit* This Scifista fellow does seem to know his shit; He was the first one helping me when I got here too. I was frustrated that my 3d design skills hadn't magically made me a pro DooM level designer and misinterpreted a couple conversations between us for the worse, and for that I apologize.

Another thing to keep in mind, you're going to get super-critical reviews from some of the community here but keep in mind most of them are playing/reviewing wads every day and they're expecting innovation or superb quality. I'm sure there's W.I.P threads here that have been success though so my advice is to keep it up!

JCB said:

Impressive screens and shadows. The first city shot honestly made me think of "The Last of Us"... If you've never played it that's quite a compliment on initial observation, even at a glance.

that is a huuuuge compliment haha, that game is easily my top 3 best. it really took games that next level without feeling like a movie i was playing. it felt like a game that had a story to tell!

If this is your first project then i'm thoroughly impressed. This is my first post in months; I came here to try out level design myself and my work was no where near that quality. I haven't made anything since then but i'm almost sure that it still wouldn't be if I hadn't of quit! If you need another playtester shoot me a pm. I'll play it in whatever port/difficulty level you desire for best results.

What made you stop mapping? you shoudl come on back and lets make some stuff! haha, i will definitely send you the pack as soon as this next map is done! i am currently working on a 3 level hub right now, but it should be done within the month, and ill pm it to you!

edit* This Scifista fellow does seem to know his shit; He was the first one helping me when I got here too. I was frustrated that my 3d design skills hadn't magically made me a pro DooM level designer and misinterpreted a couple conversations between us for the worse, and for that I apologize.

it happens dude, dont even worry, just make amends and keep coming back to the forums. your input was super welcomed here, made me really want to hit this super hard.

Another thing to keep in mind, you're going to get super-critical reviews from some of the community here but keep in mind most of them are playing/reviewing wads every day and they're expecting innovation or superb quality. I'm sure there's W.I.P threads here that have been success though so my advice is to keep it up!

oh i know, people on forums are fuckin dicks. theres not much of a way around that, especially with the "old school" players and stuff, a lot of them are really great and super helpful, but a lot of them are also rude or elitist and a lot of people are going to think this pack isnt doom enough. thats fine, this is for people who want immersion and thats it. this isnt for a plug in and play doomer. this is for the "i wanna take work of to play this" style guy.