Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Der Gillster

What would you think of a person like this?

Okay say there was a person who just so happened to successful. Whether it be an invention or creating a program, that's not important. Now this guy makes dozens of millions of dollars. Suppose some people he knew back in high school come to meet him. The guy just reacts just by saying "fuck off" to them. Now these people weren't like horrible to him, but they teased him and made fun of him and they would try an get him mad. Now the guy doesn't hate these people. He just doesn't want to be their friends.

The people then bitch at him for not "moving on." The guy simply ignores them and just goes back to enjoy his life, spending his free time by hanging out with his friends and reading books. This guy isn't an asshole to anyone unless it's the people who he disliked in high school.

Der Gillster said:

The people then bitch at him for not "moving on."

He's moved on and they're now echoes from his past. Nothing wrong with that, I doubt I'd want anything to do with them either.

Its been 10 years since I've known, seen or talked to everyone from high school. I'm happy to not know them. I wasn't picked on or teased, its just that I grew up, they didn't. They've all gone to jail or prison except for one. One went to military prison for killing his superior officer with a knife. I doubt I'll see or hear from him.

A lot of them went to prison together for robbing a place they work and someone told the cops who were there waiting when they had a rental truck full of electronics.

Anyway, we are all our own people, no one makes you be friends or do anything. The guy can be an isolationist.

If these people want to know him again, they should fuck off even if they want to apologize sincerely. There's a lot of stupid things that I've done in high school, but I wouldn't want to go out of my way to apologize. It makes me think they know he has money now.

I'd think he is a normal person...
And his high school "buddies" are after his cash.

In my opinion there seems to be nothing wrong with anything that person did. After school many people just become strangers of which you have some good or bad memories and know their names. Moving on could also mean one has to let go of some people.

"Fuck off" might be a bit strong depending on the context but other than this there is no reason why he should keep ties with people from his past that he had no positive connection with whether he has since made money or not.

What's the point of this question?

Der Gillster said:

Now the guy doesn't hate these people. He just doesn't want to be their friends.

Completely OK.

geo said:

Some fucked up shit

WTF man?!

However, the only scenario where I think a "fuck off" is due is when people you weren't exactly on friendly (or at least neutral) terms with, suddenly show up to beg you for a loan, a job, or a similar favor. Tables turned, biatch.

There is no reason not to be suspicious of people who suddenly want to be your friend immediately after you come into money.

I feel like an idiot for not asking this sooner.

Why did you suddenly want to know what people would think of "a person like this"?
Is any of you're friends/acquaintances like this?

I mean you were sorta specific and at the same time, vague about the person you described.

Is there any reason why you wanted to know our opinion all of a sudden?

... Or are you posting just for the hell of it?

I don't spend time wondering why people are assholes. I just expect them to be that way naturally. Your friends will start to turn on you when you surpass them in success. Or they will forget about you once they have their own goals attained. All of those people that you confide your troubles with will be laughing at you when your back is turned. It's good to have friends for company; but don't be surprised when they fail you.

I'd say the reason for him to say "fuck off" to those people he used to know is completely justified. So I see nothing wrong with it.

Seems reasonable to me. What is it, OP? Have you acquired millions of dollars recently and decided to ask Doomworld (of all places!) how to react to any would-be beggars from your school days?

Maybe OP is a kid being bullied and is dreaming about being supersuccessful, so then he can be an asshole to the bullies.

VGA said:

Maybe OP is a kid being bullied and is dreaming about being supersuccessful, so then he can be an asshole to the bullies.

That's what I'm thinking too.

I don't see much wrong with somebody wanting to not be friends with people who never really cared much about him in the first place.

Bucket said:

There is no reason not to be suspicious of people who suddenly want to be your friend immediately after you come into money.

I agree with you here.

BaronOfStuff said:

Seems reasonable to me. What is it, OP? Have you acquired millions of dollars recently and decided to ask Doomworld (of all places!) how to react to any would-be beggars from your school days?

Obviously. We're OP's friends now. It's us he should hang out with and buy us presents.

Der Gillster said:

Now the guy doesn't hate these people. He just doesn't want to be their friends.

There's a middle ground which I'd aim for if I was this guy. I live in a small town, and I run into people who bullied me in high school all the time. I'm not rude to them, but neither am I inclined to buy them a beer.

I'd certainly be wary of people who go out of their way to be friendly towards me if I was rich and successful. But, again, there's a way of handling these social situations which needn't involve telling people to fuck off. That's just me.

My middle school class-mates were a bunch of ignorant rich kids who bullied me on a pretty regular basis. They weren't your average bullies that had the lowest grades and came from a poor background. A lot of them had high grades (as opposed to me) and came from wealthy "good" families. You'd expect these kids to be civilized and open-minded but instead they constantly picked on and marginalized me for being a metalhead. I'm not sure if this is the case in the US but in my country, until the late 2000s, being a metalhead was sort of a stigma that basically branded you as an unwashed drug addict with mental problems. I suspect this is some kind of leftover from our communist legacy.

As you can imagine, this made me socially awkward due to lack of school friends and that is the time when I became a recluse. I dislike most people I encounter (although I don't show it) and only have and need 4-5 good friends with whom I can actually have an intelligent conversation. There are still plenty of people like my classmates in my country and I do my best to avoid them and their mind-numbing "culture" of brain-destroying TV and music.

So while I do not hate them, I don't want to be friends with them either. They are exactly the kind of people I want to avoid.

I hate everyone in my old school just because they know who I am even if they didn't do anything to me and I don't want them to recognize me and go OI M8 U WENT TO THAT SCHOOL DIDNT U M8 in fucking public making a scene

Sounds like a perfectly reasonable reaction to me. "Fuck off" would be my reaction to certain people if they showed up on my doorstep.

dew said:

Obviously. We're OP's friends now. It's us he should hang out with and buy us presents.

Dew is a friend to all Doomers *chuckles internally*

DooM_RO said:

My middle school class-mates were a bunch of ignorant rich kids who bullied me on a pretty regular basis. They weren't your average bullies that had the lowest grades and came from a poor background. A lot of them had high grades (as opposed to me) and came from wealthy "good" families. You'd expect these kids to be civilized and open-minded but instead they constantly picked on and marginalized me for being a metalhead. I'm not sure if this is the case in the US but in my country, until the late 2000s, being a metalhead was sort of a stigma that basically branded you as an unwashed drug addict with mental problems. I suspect this is some kind of leftover from our communist legacy.

As you can imagine, this made me socially awkward due to lack of school friends and that is the time when I became a recluse. I dislike most people I encounter (although I don't show it) and only have and need 4-5 good friends with whom I can actually have an intelligent conversation. There are still plenty of people like my classmates in my country and I do my best to avoid them and their mind-numbing "culture" of brain-destroying TV and music.

So while I do not hate them, I don't want to be friends with them either. They are exactly the kind of people I want to avoid.

In my early childhood I grew up in an urban environment with kids from middle class families. As my parents made more money, they moved out of NYC to a wealthier location in NJ. And of course, I got harassed by some of the wealthy kids and lower middle class kids. I don't think the wealth status was really a major influence on bullying in my honest opinion. Metalheads along with the other subculture cliques were usually ostracized, and it was stereotyped that they were drugged up basket-cases. So I guess the same shit happens in both Romania and the US of A. It's better to have a few good people in your life than dozens of douchebag "friends" from high school. Out of all the people I knew in high school, I only keep in communication with like 2 or 3 people from high school and in college I was much more selective with making friends.

Also, what do you mean by I suspect this is some kind of leftover from our communist legacy ?

DooM_RO said:

Most of me in a nutshell.

I would do the same to be completely honest, You have to move on from those friends You met In High School, If they didn't grow up with You (As In being a Adult with You), or helping with this Invention, You have the right to tell them to "Fuck off".