Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Buckshot

any "live" map editors that allow multiple users/teams at once?

just curious.

I've been tinkering around with DoomBuilder with some buddies who've also taken interest in it as of recent, and wondering if there's anything out there that'll let multiple users access a map maker and work within the workspace at once? like client/server options for support upto 4 people.

figured probably not.. but thought I would at least ask.

There were recent threads where the idea was brought up and discussed, and nobody was able to name an example of such an editor, so it probably doesn't exist (if it did exist, the multi-user feature itself would make the editor famous enough not to be overlooked, I think). Well, DoomED was mentioned, but I'm not sure what's the truth about it.

I can imagine that it'd be relatively simple the way DoomED works, since it uses an intermediate format for describing a map. Seems a lot harder when directly editing sectors, sidedefs etc., since the editor has to handle all the references correctly.

Would be an interesting addition to DoomBuilder for sure... also for those of us (like myself) who really have no idea what their doing to "spectate" and watch others or groups making a map as a tutorial.

Yes, I searched high and low and couldn't find anything. I assume the same... if it existed, it be well known.

Maybe someday.

Buckshot said:

"spectate" and watch others

I'm pretty sure there are some mappers who stream.

This is something I would use, just to create maps with friends and see what weird crap we make... Kind of like two people drawing on one piece of paper, you usually get an organized mess... But with Doom!

What you could do, depending on what you want, is use Mediafire Desktop, or a similar network drive system, and Doom Builder. You could have each person editing the same WAD file, but only one person could work on a map at a time, otherwise, things get erased.

I mean, this isn't the BEST solution, but it is possible to give PCs remote access to one another via internet connection. Not exactly sure how to do that.. but in theory, you could have 3/4 people looking over one Doom Builder session, all able to control it.

The input lag is the only deal breaker I see with this setup, asde from the other obvious annoyances. Someone contact CodeImp, cause this idea really is the best thing ever and I suddely really want CSDoomBuilder...

I'm no techie, but my first impression is similar to what Doomkid said.

Maybe remote access wouldn't be the safest route, but something like a virtual desktop that is remote-accessed by all seems like it'd be a safe way to go.

Idk if such a program exists for that so I may be shooting in the dark here, but unless CodeImp decides that feature is necessary those of us who are interested may have to look somewhere else for the connectivity.