Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dylanblitz

Well quakecon is almost here

Well quakecon is almost here and I'm excited, btw what do you guys think there gonna do besides have another quake live tournament and possibly so more doom

I was hoping for a "Bethesda Petting Zoo" of sorts, complete with small goats, kittens and baby pigs. Maybe some "female entertainment" afterwards if ya catch my drift...

I'd like a bit more campaign shown off for the presentation with multiplayer talk, followed immediately by a live 'noob' tournament of newDoom deathmatch.

The Bethesda petting zoo is a pretty cool idea! It brings a softer side to all the mindless killing. Petting lamas. Feeling bunnies. Watching goats climb hay bails. Baby goats hop and don't run. Its adorable.

Did you know that you can make a unicorn? Take a baby goat, saw off one of its horns, and the remaining horn will center itself. I don't recommend it though, because someone may kill you for sawing off an animal's horn.

It happens in the wild though, horns break off.

Buckshot said:

i'm looking forward to the Carmack keynote speech.

...and Romeros.

..and Halls.

I'm looking forward to Romero's head being in the petting zoo as a publicity stunt.

RAGE 2 and Cyb coming out of retirement with a new MassMouth. This is all I want.

Or hopefully something Quake related; I don't know if anyone noticed it in the presentation but when they were talking about Bethesda.net, the Quake logo was in the bottom right corner.

Not sure why they would include that particular title (I know the Quake modding community is alive and kicking; I see lots of fun WIP screens on Twitter) when there hasn't been anything new or big regarding Quake since 4. So...wishful thinking?

Skip to 24 minutes in to see where my tinfoil hat theory comes from. Or don't; it's immediately after the Doom reveal, and that's always fun to watch. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldQSioNU1jE

EDIT: I'll embed the video in a minute. I went full retard and forgot how to use forum code.

Johnatone said:

Or hopefully something Quake related; I don't know if anyone noticed it in the presentation but when they were talking about Bethesda.net, the Quake logo was in the bottom right corner.

You might be interested to know that id has registered a project with Steam DB codenamed Ranger that has an image of the Quake guy associated with it.

Ranger also has an id software beta key associated with it, as well as some "Zenimax Combo Comp" that entails 3 keys.

I see no reasons why Id should make more Quake games. All Quakes are basically just more Doom but with a different atmosphere.

Quake 1 is set in a lovecraftian medieval hell that might as well have been a new Doom. However, out of all the Quakes this is the one that I think has actual potential to be different (like Wolfenstein).

In Quake 2 you fight generic cyber-soldiers in generic brown space stations...The story could just be fitted as the introductory part of a new Doom. The UAC is experimenting on criminals and teleportation and their new cybersoldiers have gone rogue. DONE.

Quake 3 could just be assimilated in the multiplayer aspect of a new Doom...which is what I think they are doing.

All of the ideas of each Quake can be assimilated in Doom, I don't think the Quake games (again, except for the first) have enough substance to make a distinct game from Doom. They could just be different parts of UAC/Hell.

Quake is still can bring good money to Bethesda and this is mine reason why Quake isn't gone. IMHO. Quake has born as experemental franchise for id and it can be still the same thing for Bethesda. At least, Quake Live isn't so popular, but still has good and active bunch of fans.

I can imagine a new Quake based around the first one but it'd have to be very tonally different from Doom, probably more horror-oriented if you ask me. But then rocket jumps would seem out of place, perhaps...

If multiplayer of new Doom will less hardcore, but feels good, nobody will blame id for it, yes? But it can be not enough hardcore for diehard Quake fans.

Too bad id has no Romero or American McGee, who offered rocket launcher duels and rocketjumps for Quake, and has no John Carmack for graphical experiments. It must be another game by old franchise, maybe Splash Damage or any other expirienced studio, I don't know. Sounds not so good, but possible some guys inside id is already can do something... We must wait for Doom, Doom is answer how it can be possible, as Wolfenstein: TNO was a litmus paper for new Doom.

kelliegator said:

I can imagine a new Quake based around the first one but it'd have to be very tonally different from Doom, probably more horror-oriented if you ask me. But then rocket jumps would seem out of place, perhaps...

Exactly, what can Quake (especially the second) bring that Doom can't except for art style? I don't think the franchise has enough blood in it to make an interesting game. It needs to be distinct from Doom like TNO was.

DoomKid123 said:

Well quakecon is almost here and I'm excited, btw what do you guys think there gonna do besides have another quake live tournament and possibly so more doom

That's literally it

Anyone who attends may see me in a Santa Claus outfit (for the gaming show I'm working on), sweating profusely and asking fans confusing and inappropriate questions about Doom.

kelliegator said:

The only way a new Quake game could be remotely interesting to me is if they based it more on the original concept for Quake 1 - basically that your character is an immortal, super-human angry Demi-God that travels between dimensions to fight Lovecraftian horrors (and no satanic imagery this time - satanic stuff belongs in Doom and only in Doom - I'm sure they could come up with some creepy Lovecraftian art instead).

They could still make it heavily inspired by the Quake 1 that came to be, but make it different enough to not make it look like Doom with nailguns.

dsm said:

The only way a new Quake game could be remotely interesting to me is if they based it more on the original concept for Quake 1 - basically that your character is an immortal, super-human angry Demi-God that travels between dimensions to fight Lovecraftian horrors (and no satanic imagery this time - satanic stuff belongs in Doom and only in Doom - I'm sure they could come up with some creepy Lovecraftian art instead).

They could still make it heavily inspired by the Quake 1 that came to be, but make it different enough to not make it look like Doom with nailguns.

Was ranger superhuman and demigod in the original? I can't remember and I always felt the story in the manual was kinda vague and confusing.