Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fredrik

Mastermind concept #3

When this demon overlord materializes in the physical world, its bulk is too great for the mechanical constraints of the human-like body it has assumed, making it unable to stand up. Twisting its limbs unnaturally, it crawls after you relentlessly, making tortured noises...

Obviously just a sketch, not a finished sprite (would be a huge amount of work to finish).

heh

the attack and movement would be too weird for a mastermind though, but it may fit as an arachnotron

I have to say, I'm not feeling the love for this one too much. I mean, the idea is cool, it looks horrible and twisted (in a good way) and the creature's existence looks tortured and unpleasant. All that works. It even looks as if it might somehow be related to the FreeDoom mancubus.

But there's something that I just can't put my finger on that isn't working for me. I think part of it might be that the artistic style is different to a lot of the rest of FreeDoom which has been more consistent lately but I think, for me, the biggest thing is that it gives me the impression of something that should be crawling through a tunnel environment. The low, belly-crawling stance works well for a too-big monster that spends all of its time squeezing its way through dark tunnels looking for adventurers to kill. The pale starved-of-light skin colour adds to that and the fact that it carries its weapon on the inside also makes sense in that scenario. The problem is that, to me, it is such a tunnel dweller that I think it would look odd in big open arenas etc. of the kind that a spider mastermind would often be used in.

Nice. Masterminds are rarely used in maps, and I personally don't mind occasional (semi-)cheesy stuff in Doom - after all, the game doesn't take realism and plausibility too strictly. I think Freedoom could afford it too, at least occasionally, and so I support this concept! :)

That would be an interesting idea for any wad except FreeDoom.
FreeDoom, because it is supposed to be a free replacement for using Doom2, with a wide range of existing pwads, really needs to have its Mastermind be a spider.
Same argument for other sprite replacements.

There is also the Spider Mastermind that I have been updating (with a 3d model) (which I will favor of course).
I am still fighting with the misfit model program (when I try to put the eye stalk on the torso it corrupts the belt line texture), I am still farther along than this.
If I can figure how to work around misfit model problems, it will go faster.
((I could not figure out how to work blender, that is still stuck with
the 8 extra viewplanes that I accidently opened.))

I knew that it was reminding me of something, then I figured it out:

Stone Golem from Dungeon Master

I like it as a concept. Looks like the sort of twisted abomination you'd find in a Resident Evil game.

wesleyjohnson said:

FreeDoom, because it is supposed to be a free replacement for using Doom2, with a wide range of existing pwads, really needs to have its Mastermind be a spider.

No it doesn't. That's like saying that the Demon replacements have to be bipeds with big faces (which they're not). It simply needs something of a similar size and scale to be a fitting replacement.

While I like it, I agree with Enjay. Something about it doesn't seem quite right, especially up against the rest of the Freedoom monsters. I disagree with Wesley, I don't think that it has to be a spider. However, I personally think that, like Doom, it would be cool if the Mastermind and arachnotron replacements were in the same "family" as a lot of custom wads use the mother/babies imagery with those monsters.

Monster looks most awesome and terrifying, but too humanoid to fit with Freedoom. It should still be finished, I want to see it in action somewhere.

EDIT> I think it would look great with the current freedoom sprites, but raymoo is making a bunch of new sprites that do not share the same theme. As more current sprites are replaced, it would look more out of place.