Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ConorMacLennan

How to make sectors within larger sectors without walls appearing?

I'm using Doom Builder 2, and I'm doing this primarily to change the height, brightness and textures of certain parts of the floor. Everytime I make a sector, though, a bunch of walls appear that I don't want. How do I get rid of them, or ideally, stop this from happening?

Walls? Do you mean 1-sided impassable lines? It normally doesn't happen, but I've experienced it happening on rare occasions, or if you hold Ctrl while drawing lines. Can you post a screenshot? And just to make sure, are you in vertice or linedef mode while drawing the sector inside sector?

Those could be mid textures, if you edit the linedef settings you may find them being put in- there should be options in the settings to set the default textures when making lines and sectors. See if the mid texture is set to STARTAN as that will show up by default if you have it set that way.

Could you provide an overhead screenshot, or perhaps a link to the WAD itself?

What FuzzballFox suggested may be true, but it could also be putting a closed sector composed of one-sided linedefs inside of an existing sector.

I know that probably makes zero sense to a new mapper - Essentially, if you've drawn a closed sector (say a basic circle for example) drawing another sector inside should not result in these walls. The only two possiblilites I see are:

1 - The sector which you're trying to draw in is not 'closed'

2 - There are mid-textures on the front of each sidedef.

Either way it should be a fairly simple fix and easy to prevent from happening again once you've figured it out :)

Select all 4 linedefs
Uncheck impassable
Check double sided
Right click on the Startan texture in the texture selector to delete it
Boom you have an empty wall-less sector.

Try deleting the central square, and "check map for errors". Does it say anything about sectors being unclosed? If so, we've found your culprit!

SavangeCorona's fix is reccommended only if there are no errors such as open sectors or else it's a "bandaid fix" that will make things harder for you as you progress. If no errors are present, however, his fix is your best option :)

ConorMacLennan said:

Okay, there's 3 open sectors. How do I close them?

In GZDoom Builder, open Make Sectors Mode (default key: M) and click on the sectors. After you click they should be highlighted.

In Doombuilder2, go into Sectors Mode to see which linedef does not highlight.
Go into Linedefs Mode and change the sector assignments of that linedef to the correct sector(s).

If none of the above works, then simply redraw over the existing sectors.

clicking the old sector with a problem with the 'Make Sectors Mode' in DB2 usualy fix those problems as well.