Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
darknation

pan galactic gargle blaster

There is a book festival on in our town. The pub in which I work have, because we are fucking geniuses, decided to do a Literature Themed Cocktail Night.

The plan is that we take famous drinks from novels and make them, sell them to the punters for vast profits. Vodka Martini, shaken not stirred, etc.

Then I realized that I don't actually know any famous drinks / cocktails from novels. Which is impeding our efforts somewhat. Which is why you must help me, for the good of my master's bank account.

Any ideas?

Changaa.

Also this list has plenty of good (well, not really) ideas. I'm sure doctors and hospitals will thank your master bank after that.

From books? Fuck mate, makes it hard for me as those "book" things are quite outdated, far before my time.

You should have made it movie based. About a billion times easier.

http://whatculture.com/film/6-famous-movie-drinks-you-must-try.php

https://www.phactual.com/17-alcoholic-beverages-made-famous-by-movie-tv-characters/

There's a fuck ton of these lists out there for movies. You'll find a lot of repeated drinks but hopefully a lot of inspiration in the process. The Big Lebowski was a novel originally after all.... Right?

Just try the Russian/prison method of drinking straight up cologne/denat alcohol (watch the methanol content, yo) after "filtering" it through bread or napkins with talk powder.

It's featured in several novels, prisoners' autobiographies, and movies, if that's what you wanted.

Here's a couple:

Moloko Plus (A Clockwork Orange)
Victory Gin (1984)

Ichor said:

Victory Gin (1984)

From the way it was described in the novel, "it gave off a sickly, oily smell, as of Chinese rice-spirit", it always made me think more of a bad Sake's taste, rather than gin.

Ichor said:

Here's a couple:

Moloko Plus (A Clockwork Orange)

That would be milk and amphetamine.

Not really a cocktail unless you really prefer to mix both but Bukowski apparently liked Boilermaker's. Buk sure was the man when it comes to alcohol.

Black coffee and scotch is a frequent favorite of Phillip Marlowe's in The Long Goodbye.

If you're into Battletech, try the PPC:

4 shots Everclear
1 shot of (choose your favorite House):
Peppermint schnapps (Steiner)
Sake (Kurita)
Ouzo (Marik)
Plum wine (Liao)
Bourbon (Davion)
Tequila (Capellan March)

tourniquet said:

Not really a cocktail unless you really prefer to mix both but Bukowski apparently liked Boilermaker's. Buk sure was the man when it comes to alcohol.

I recall that he almost always ordered or prepared Vodka Sevens for himself, given the choice. Otherwise he'd just drink anything he could get hold of, including warm beer for breakfast, or whatever rotgut leftovers he could find.

There was a memorable moment in Trainspotting where Begbie slung out half of Renton's bottle of beer and replaced the deficit with his own urine. That'd get the punters flocking.

Speaking of urine, there was an infamous scene in "Lepa Sela, Lepo Gore" (pretty village, pretty flame) where a team of Bosnian Serbian fighters and a western journalist were trapped in a cave, sieged by their Bosnian Muslims enemies.

In order to resist thirst, they did the obvious in a bottle of Coca Cola, drank it, and then claimed to their siegers that they found "the spring of life" or somesuch. Yup.

purist said:

There was a memorable moment in Trainspotting where Begbie slung out half of Renton's bottle of beer and replaced the deficit with his own urine. That'd get the punters flocking.

it would. reckon my urine is about 80 proof.