Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alientank

How long will doom 3 be?

Well with all the work it takes to make a Doom3 level and the fact that they've only got three mappers at id, I wouldn't expect 50 or 60 levels.

I would really like to see it being as long as Half-Life. That game was long enough to bring some interesting plot twists and environment changes into it without overwhelming you, and just too short to become boring.

Remember that you can beat Doom in about 16 and Doom 2 in about 20 minutes. So at that rate Doom 3 should take about 24 minutes.

Now THAT's a horrible thought.

I don't imagine anyone will be doing much speedrunning in Doom III, now that the movement speed has been cut down to something a little more reasonable than id's previous games. This probably also means you'll be spending more time in a level than before, just to check out the cool scenery and discover everything.

GS-1719 said:

They'd better not try to lengthen it by having dodgy puzzles.

I second that.

Linguica said:

Remember that you can beat Doom in about 16 and Doom 2 in about 20 minutes.

No. You can beat either of them in less than 16 minutes, utilizing the latest l33t tricks.

Fredrik said:

No. You can beat either of them in less than 16 minutes, utilizing the latest l33t tricks.

WTF ?! I never tried speedrunning Doom. I always wanted to finish with 100% kills, secrets and items.....
But I've to try it, can't imagine to do it in less than 16 minutes...pfff I thought it would'nt be possible below 40 minutes or so...I mean..thats 1.3 minutes per level ':|

Revenant! said:

WTF ?! I never tried speedrunning Doom. I always wanted to finish with 100% kills, secrets and items.....
But I've to try it, can't imagine to do it in less than 16 minutes...pfff I thought it would'nt be possible below 40 minutes or so...I mean..thats 1.3 minutes per level ':|

Watch Sedlo's TAS 16:17 of DOOM2. And consider that MAP07, MAP14 and others have had new tricks discovered lately, which makes even more time possible to save.

Fredrik said:

Watch Sedlo's TAS 16:17 of DOOM2. And consider that MAP07, MAP14 and others have had new tricks discovered lately, which makes even more time possible to save.

hmm, I tried the MAP16 trick...failure...now I think im not a Doomer any longer :(((( come an shoot me !

Revenant! said:

hmm, I tried the MAP16 trick...failure...now I think im not a Doomer any longer :(((( come an shoot me !

Heh try the MAP21 trick instead... it's 10x harder :P

Bah, speedrunning! Perfect way to take out the fun of playing Doom.

dsm said:

Bah, speedrunning! Perfect way to take out the fun of playing Doom.

Speedrunning is the best way to play DOOM.

I've a got a demo by Radek Pecka (yes, that's his REAL name, AFAIK) where he beats Episode 2 of Ultimate Doom in 5 minutes, 7 seconds. Has to be seen to be believed.
I also have a demo by Adam Hegyi where he beats E3 in 4 minutes, 18 seconds. It too has to be seen to be believed.
Look for'em here.

I have the feeling that Doom 3 won't be displayed in number of levels but rather in length of levels.

Erik said:

mmm, speedrunning.

Bah. I've never cared for speedrunning.

1) I'm not good at it.
2) ...I'm not good at it.

You get the picture :)

Fredrik said:

Uh well, DOOM 3 will have one big level, not many.

Ya I guess your right cause in the e3 movie when a "level" ended it just loaded the next part of that "level"

From what I've read from Mr. Carmack recently, the game will be conceptually one big level, it has to be divided into many smaller "acts" due to memory limits (there's only so many levels you can cram into the minimum requirements). Unless, of course, you want the game to require at least 1 GB of memory. :)

Alientank said:

Ya I guess your right cause in the e3 movie when a "level" ended it just loaded the next part of that "level"

OI found some of those 'cuts' to be very odd and suddon.

Fredrik said:

They most definitely made cuts.

I really hope so. It would be retarded to have cuts interrupt gameplay like in the video.

Shaviro said:

I really hope so. It would be retarded to have cuts interrupt gameplay like in the video.

What I mean is - first you saw the guy running what must have been the start rooms, and in the next minutes he uses both shotgun and SMG.

I've said it before, but now I say it again: The levels/areas in the E3 demo are likely handplucked from random places in the game and thrown together in this demo - just like when you fire up the old Doom and let the demo play in the background (you see someone play through exmx, then you see that 'someone' play through eymy, before you finally see the player wreak havoc in ezmz - or something).

Only here he only dies once - in the last level.

Well, it's to early to tell how long Doom 3 will be, wether it will be broken up into episodes, have hubs like Quake II or be just be levels that go in an order (like Doom II). My hope is that ID does the following :

Episodes - if they do episodes, they should at least have 5 with 20 levels apiece. To be realistic, I would say 10 levels apiece.

Hubs - I think it would be cool to see levels have multiple areas, kinda like Map 01, then you gotta go into like a computer complex area, so it is Map 01 - Area 2, and so on, and then after you finish all of Map 01, you go onto Map 02 and take on its areas.

Multiple game paths - Like Strife, you could get more than one ending, depending on where you went and what you did. Like say...you have a level with two objectives and two different areas...say...a power room and a security complex. You go to the power room to shut off the power in the security wing, but if you go to the security wing you put the power room on lockdown, which would alter the ending or something. Shitty example, but you guys can tell what I mean.

Multiplayer levels - I think they should have at least 30 or 40 deathmatch levels, 25 capture the flag levels, 15 team deathmatch levels and levels for other game modes.

Secret levels - I dunno about including secret levels...maybe remakes of E1M1 and Map 01?

Add-on level packs by ID - they should avoid this. If they do do an add-on pack, they should make it free to download and it would be multiplayer maps.