Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
sesalpinogamer

Swimable water?

Hey guys!Quick question,how the fuck do i make a swimable water?I was playing adventures of the square and on some water parts,most notably the lake in E1A3,you could swim underwater and get to different places that you can't go on land,acess hidden areas,caves,be eaten by piranhas (lol)etc...How do i replicate this underwater thingy?I don't want any piranhas or some hyper realistic underwater effect,just 2 things:
-A place you can go underwater
-(Optional)A invisible air counter that kills you if you stay underwater for too long.

Boom can do this using dummy sector transfer specials iirc. What port are you on? Z-derivatives make this much easier.

Either use linedef action "Sector 3D floor" of type "Swimmable", or use linedef action "Transfer Heights" with option "Swimmable below fake", or put a thing "ZDoom / Deep Water" to the sector which you want to be swimmable.

Invisible air counter is actually automatic.

scifista42 said:

or put a thing "ZDoom / Deep Water" to the sector which you want to be swimmable.

There isn't much need to use those these days seeing as how it can all be done with line arguments but, if you are using one, they should be in the control sector, not the play sector, unless you want the air above the water to be swimmable too.

scifista42 said:

Either use linedef action "Sector 3D floor" of type "Swimmable", or use linedef action "Transfer Heights" with option "Swimmable below fake", or put a thing "ZDoom / Deep Water" to the sector which you want to be swimmable.

Invisible air counter is actually automatic.

Thanks Scifista!!!
BTW,i played some of your maps in some famous wads (Doom 2 the way id did and Doom 2 in name only)and i really liked them!
So,here is my result:

https://vid.me/XRzC

It is looking pretty dumb when you are underwater,well,like the entire map so far,i plan on doing something like E1A3 of adventures of the square or Z1A2 from Sonic Robot Blast 2,i am doing the basic mapping first and THEN i am putting details,and before you ask,i will make a cliff walk on the area you jump,AND there will be a ton of stuff underwater,but now i have not one,but TWO questions.
-How do i make underwater darker and with the blue color?
-Assuming i am using 3D floors to reach this effect,is there a way to hit a switch,make a cinematic camera hover around the lake and the water starts raising,extending the underwater part,and then the camera goes back to the player once it raises the amount i want?

sesalpinogamer said:

Thanks Scifista!!!
BTW,i played some of your maps in some famous wads (Doom 2 the way id did and Doom 2 in name only)and i really liked them!
So,here is my result:

https://vid.me/XRzC

It is looking pretty dumb when you are underwater,well,like the entire map so far,i plan on doing something like E1A3 of adventures of the square or Z1A2 from Sonic Robot Blast 2,i am doing the basic mapping first and THEN i am putting details,and before you ask,i will make a cliff walk on the area you jump,AND there will be a ton of stuff underwater,but now i have not one,but TWO questions.
-How do i make underwater darker and with the blue color?
-Assuming i am using 3D floors to reach this effect,is there a way to hit a switch,make a cinematic camera hover around the lake and the water starts raising,extending the underwater part,and then the camera goes back to the player once it raises the amount i want?

I already did the blue underwater effect alone,now the other one is the real problem.

You can move a 3D floor by moving floor and ceiling in its control sector. Similarly, you apply color change on a 3D floor by applying it on its control sector.

By the way, thanks for your praise. I didn't make any maps for D2TWID, though.

scifista42 said:

You can move a 3D floor by moving floor and ceiling in its control sector. Similarly, you apply color change on a 3D floor by applying it on its control sector.

By the way, thanks for your praise. I didn't make any maps for D2TWID, though.

Oh,i confounded some maps,i tought you map for D2INO "Dead Simple" was on D2TWID,but what i want to do is in-game,like,i hit a switch,and it changes the control sector heights by a certain ammount,and then stops.

Use a switch-activated Ceiling_RaiseByValue to affect the control sector. The 3D floor tagged sectors should be all sectors where the water is supposed to appear sooner or later, even if initially submerged.

scifista42 said:

Use a switch-activated Ceiling_RaiseByValue to affect the control sector. The 3D floor tagged sectors should be all sectors where the water is supposed to appear sooner or later, even if initially submerged.

If you were a girl,i would kiss you.

https://vid.me/a8bt

Don't mind the ugly switch,it is just for testing purposes,i removed it by now.