Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sesalpinogamer

CliffWalk ,a strange level (PRE-ALPHA STAGE)

Hey guys!I am currently making a little wad called CliffWalk,it is one of my first serious attempts to make a GOOD wad,i will spend a couple of days working on it,so what you will see in the footage is just the incomplete cliff.
REQUIREMENTS:
-GZDoom or other ZDoom based ports
-Doom 2
OPTIONAL REQUIREMENTS(Suggested for the best experience):
-Ketchup MOD (Pk3)
-Lizard Squad MOD (WAD)

How to run:
Basic requirements only:
-Open the CliffWalk.wad with your engine of choice,and select Doom 2.
-(Skulltag)Select Hardware processing (OpenGL).
Optimal experience:
-Hold shift and click on ketchup,lizard squad and CliffWalk and drag it to the executable on your engine of choice and select Doom 2.
-(Skulltag)Select Hardware processing (OpenGL).

NOTE:I will be happy if someone gives info on how to run it in other engines,thank you!

Footage:

https://vid.me/EcUf

It is not much,i started working on this project today,tell me if you think that with the right "touches" this can be a good level.

Thanks for reading

sesalpinogamer said:

It is not much,i started working on this project today,tell me if you think that with the right "touches" this can be a good level.

It looks better than Diversity already -- you have a window and meaningful changes in floor height.

But if the action in the video is meant to be an indication of what the level will bring, then no, I won't find it very enjoyable. You're just shooting low-tier pistol fodder right in front of you.

The mods are distracting. And why not try making a map for Boom or limit-removing vanilla?

Nah,it will be pretty hard later on,has this level will have a repopulation system,so,for example,once you get the blue key,i will make that so it spawns a few lost souls scattered across the map,also,once you enter in the industry area,once you get the yellow key the industry will be FLOODED with demons,and when you get the rocket launcher inside the industry,it will be flooded with cacodemons,and once you get the plasma gun,pain elementals will be scattered across the map,and hell knights will invade the industry,and on the very last part,once you raise the water level allowing acess to a previously innacesible area,a few arachnotrons and barons of hell will enter to get ya booty.And if you get the not-so-hidden BFG9000,you are fucked,unless you can fight 2 spider masterminds and a cyberdemon at the same time.

sesalpinogamer said:

I will be happy if someone gives info on how to run it in other engines,thank you!

There's nothing you can do if you make the maps in a zdoom format. You can only play them with a g/zdoom based port.

Also, why make a thread for a pre-alpha of a single level?

Actually,fuck what i said,it will have a natural difficulty progression because i am too much of a newbie to make something like that that works

gaspe said:

There's nothing you can do if you make the maps in a zdoom format. You can only play them with a g/zdoom based port.

Also, why make a thread for a pre-alpha of a single level?

Excitement

You can edit your posts. It's certainly better than double posting. Quadruple posting, even.

EDIT: Well, your design looks only very basic so far. Sure, keep it up, just don't expect much positive hype.

scifista42 said:

You can edit your posts. It's certainly better than double posting. Quadruple posting, even.

EDIT: Well, your design looks only very basic so far. Sure, keep it up, just don't expect much positive hype.

I don't want any hype,i am not working on a real project until i know what is good in a map and what isn't,when i can make complex architectures etc..

SavageCorona said:

I like the part where you give a tutorial on how to run a custom wad to people who play custom wads all the time.

There is ALWAYS someone who doesn't know.

UPDATE:
-Now enought progress to consider Alpha stage!
-Factory being implemented
-Outside factory being implemented
IDEA:
I want the factory to be big and flexible,but i won't have much space in the map to do the factory,mainly because,well,the map will block it,so i did just like Goldeneye 007 DOOM EDITION did,i made that when you press the button to open the door,you get teleported to the factory,is this ok?

sesalpinogamer said:

There is ALWAYS someone who doesn't know.

You're posting it in a subforum dedicated to custom wads though. You're also telling people to use software that was discontinued 5 years ago.

If anyone needs to know how to turn on a computer:

1) Locate the "on" button.

2) Position a pushing object (finger, toe, fork, erect penis, etc.) adjacent to it.

3) Apply forward pressure until the button is depressed, and hold for about two seconds.

4) Release the pressure.

sesalpinogamer said:

UPDATE:
-Now enought progress to consider Alpha stage!
-Factory being implemented
-Outside factory being implemented

So, does this "update" only consist of your words describing what you did? That's kind of pointless for anyone else than yourself. Not only it sounds vague and we can't see it or play it, it also sounds like random trivia (you drew some areas in a map, mappers do it all the time without fuss). And, considering the very short time that passed between your posts, I doubt the quality of your output. IMO, you could post a lot less than you do, until you make significant progress that could be notable / interesting enough to show us. So far, you're only starting out, it seems.

By the way, IMO, behaviour like "a teleport switch" for a random reason that's not justified either by logic, or by gameplay purpose, will probably only add to the map's cheapness and crappiness. The impression would be that the author was like: "Hey, look, I can use cool features without knowing why! Ain't I cool?"

Edit: So, I finally understood why did you want to make the teleport. Well, it will feel odd. Sure, you can try it if you can't do otherwise - as a beginner, just make something done and then release it to get criticism and try to improve with the criticism in mind - just keep trying, and don't repeat the same mistakes. Honestly, I don't expect your first release(s) be much great. You will only learn about good visuals and gameplay by getting feedback on your own maps, maybe by learning from looking at other people's maps and understanding what makes them good, etc.

sesalpinogamer said:

NOTE:I will be happy if someone gives info on how to run it in other engines,thank you!

I thought you might need this since you're still using Skulltag http://zandronum.com/

It's the same method as Skulltag with the skins folder and everything.

Guys,is it a good idea to add friendly marines?I put 2 marines with a railgun right in the start and there will be some you can rescue in the factory (they will be in cells,but the switch that opens it is guarded by a hell knight),and if yes,any idea how to make they more smart?I want them to heavy fire active enemies and to follow me like the MBF dogs,any suggestions?

I'm not sure you know this but if you're building this in Skulltag, nobody will be able to play it because nobody uses Skulltag.

You're probably using the Skulltag data pk3s if you somehow got a railgun in GZDoom. Heads up, nobody has those any more either.

SavageCorona said:

You're probably using the Skulltag data pk3s if you somehow got a railgun in GZDoom. Heads up, nobody has those any more either.

Nah,i wasn't,but anyways,i just changed the weapons to SSG's.

BETA UPDATE!!!
-A LOT of the map was designed (pretty much all the outside area!)
-Made the level MUCH harder
-Added 2 friendly marines with SSG's and a MBF dog to help you!
-Added some secrets!
-Added a source for the nuclear waste falling down onto the river,a nuclear reactor!
-Now the factory area isn't just grass,i made a wooden bridge and the water is just...there.
-The bridge that leads to the water control facility is pretty low down on the ground,with no water covering it.It is a miracle!
-On the outside factory you can just jump out of the water instead of needing to go to the cave to teleport back!
-Scripting to make all liquids with proper colors when submerged on them.

Screenshots:

The beggining.

Breathing some not very fresh air outside

A plasma gun underwater,*******,luckly it didn't broke,shocked the water and killed you

A key?Awesome!A computer map?Nice.But a rocket launcher?

The exit.

The industry

Another view of the industry

A nuclear leak?C'mon guys!The nature!

The nature...

Not that the industry is any better

Nop,definitively not

DA BRIDGE OF MIRACLES!!!

Notes:
-The screenshots were taken in order of areas,not progression,so i covered the beggining part before the industry part
-The screenshots were taken in no monsters mode
-I didn't cover the water control facility yet because:1:It doesn't have anything.2:It is just a plain sectore made of grass.

Known issues:
Bugs:
-The "bridge of miracles" is supposed to be covered by water,but isn't
Glitches:
None
Issues:
It can be hard to the player to see underwater caves,has their entrances will seem like a wall because of the blue color,so the caves are:
-Near the nukage,at the very bottom left.
-Near the beggining area,a hole in the wall,contains the plasma gun,about halfway way down.

Tips:
-You CAN drown!
-I already told about the caves up here.
-Allies or monsters can't swim!Well,they won't be stupid enought to throw themselves in anyways.

Hotfix:Fixed the miracle bridge bug,now water covers it properly.

Here is a video of what i did:

https://vid.me/Nkw8

I noticed that the place where the water control facility will be is climbable,i will need to add teleporters and lower the water level to fix this issue.

The friendly AI is just weird, distracting and unnecessary, IMO it doesn't add anything good to the game. The whole place is oversized, which makes it tedious to move around. Many areas are monochromatically textured, which tends to look ugly. Most detail seems pointless from a gameplay perspective, gameplay itself is very weak so far. Distribution of ammo and enemies seems very improportionate and unbalanced. Advice: Try fixing all these things, and work more on the map's gameplay, because that's what really sells a map, not features.

scifista42 said:

The friendly AI is just weird, distracting and unnecessary, IMO it doesn't add anything good to the game. The whole place is oversized, which makes it tedious to move around. Many areas are monochromatically textured, which tends to look ugly. Most detail seems pointless from a gameplay perspective, gameplay itself is very weak so far. Distribution of ammo and enemies seems very improportionate and unbalanced. Advice: Try fixing all these things, and work more on the map's gameplay, because that's what really sells a map, not features.

That hurts,i will stop mapping,then.If you are talking from a begginer map perspective then i shouldn't even be posting this,and if it is from a normal point of view,then tell me why,i am burned from making maps now,after i finish this map,again,you won't see me again for a while.

Normal point of view, because I don't want to be buttering you up. It should help you if you actually want to realize your mistakes and grow your skill. I don't think you should feel offended for it at all, and I don't think you should stop mapping.

scifista42 said:

Normal point of view, because I don't want to be buttering you up. It should help you if you actually want to realize your mistakes and grow your skill. I don't think you should feel offended for it at all, and I don't think you should stop mapping.

I didn't felt offended,just sad because that is 3 days of effort to receive a bad rating.

sesalpinogamer said:

Ahhh,you know what?I GIVE UP.

sesalpinogamer said:

Seriously,scifista,i am DONE.

sesalpinogamer said:

That hurts,i will stop mapping,then.

"Someone once told me time is a flat circle"

In all seriousness sesalpino, you need to be able to take criticism without threatening to abandon the forums. No matter what you do you'll always have detractors, so the best thing you can do is listen to people's complaints and try your best to address them. That, and try not to post immediately after getting upset... let your feelings cool down and then respond.

sesalpinogamer said:

I didn't felt offended,just sad because that is 3 days of effort to receive a bad rating.

If you take the advice on board, your next works will be better, and those three days won't have been wasted. If you choose to give up though, it achieves nothing, and those three days will have gone to waste.
I speak from experience, as someone who spent three months working on one map, only for people (myself included :P) to say it was pretty bad. I never touched the map again, and I'm yet to finish a map since that one. Safe to say, my mapping ability probably hasn't improved much since then. That was three months worth bothering with, wasn't it? :)