Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Carnevil

In-depth discussion on QuakeCon alpha

So, a bunch of us from the Doom community (me, ClonedPickle, Patience, TDF, Felicrux, Conflagrated, and Xaser) went to QuakeCon and got to check out the playable Doom multiplayer alpha. I think for the most part we were all encouraged by what we saw, and ended up having an in-depth discussion about what we saw - features, weapons, balance, how it felt... the whole nine yards! Anyway, here's our discussion:

http://gamedesignpodcast.finalbossentertainment.com/?p=94

YouTube version:

Did anyone else go? Could you answer a few questions?

How did the game look? What did you think of the aesthetic and graphical fidelity?

What did the weapons feel like?

Music?

Do you think this has the chance to be the new Quake 3 as in do you think it will have an esports scene?

Was the "feel" there?

GoatLord said:

How come when I asked if anyone was going, you guys didn't respond?

Did you get a chance to play it? Will you make a MP impressions thread like the one last year?

The aesthetics were quite nice. The weapons felt really good to use - maybe more powerful than they actually were! I think there was music, but just industrial stuff while waiting for the match to start. Don't know if it was playing during the match. There was a lot going on audio-wise (players talking, sounds, noise from the audience/casters, etc.).

I think it will have a strong multiplayer scene.

DooM_RO said:

Did anyone else go? Could you answer a few questions?

How did the game look? What did you think of the aesthetic and graphical fidelity?

What did the weapons feel like?

Music?

Do you think this has the chance to be the new Quake 3 as in do you think it will have an esports scene?

Was the "feel" there?

Did you get a chance to play it? Will you make a MP impressions thread like the one last year?

Actually, I was there shooting footage for an upcoming YouTube show (which I'll gladly link when it premieres) called "Hey, I Played That!" The Doom episode will be released in December, so I was dressed as Santa. I confused quite a few people and almost got beaten up.

Here I am waiting for the camera crew.

Me about to get something to eat from the food truck my spouse was working.

Tip jars I made for two of the food trucks.
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t1.0-9/11750711_10203122334939652_3896716893268394764_n.jpg?oh=debec04a6057fd0581a68feff11d4e3b&oe=565C705C

What do you mean you almost got beaten up lol?

Did you get a chance to play the game? If so what did you think?

DooM_RO said:

What do you mean you almost got beaten up lol?

Did you get a chance to play the game? If so what did you think?

I should have made it clear in my previous post, but I was too busy being an insane, drunken Santa to play the game. I wasn't actually drunk, but I was pretty convincing according to everyone who's seen the video. I wanted to play the game, but I have spatial relationship issues and therefore was unable to locate the actual con. So I just ended up talking to a lot of strangers who may or may not have been directly involved with the con.

As far as being beaten up goes...there was this one dude in line at a food truck who had a very pissed look on his face. If you watch the video (which of course you'll be able to in a few months), he looks like he's waiting for any opportunity to beat the shit out of me, especially after I insisted on trying to interview him. It was really fucking funny.

GoatLord said:

I wanted to play the game, but I have spatial relationship issues and therefore was unable to locate the actual con.

Wait what? You were unable to find QuakeCon?

It's very fun multiplayer. I think it needs to be roughly double the movement speed it's currently at though. The SSG felt super weak, same with rockets. The Plasma Rifle/Vortex Rifle combo seems to be super good, alt fire on the Plasma is really nice it does a DoT type attack.It doesn't really feel like "Doom" to me currently, again some weapon balance changes and speed increase and I think it will play a lot better. Over all super fun multiplayer though and I hope I make it into the Alpha!

DemonSphere said:

It's very fun multiplayer. I think it needs to be roughly double the movement speed it's currently at though. The SSG felt super weak, same with rockets. The Plasma Rifle/Vortex Rifle combo seems to be super good, alt fire on the Plasma is really nice it does a DoT type attack.It doesn't really feel like "Doom" to me currently, again some weapon balance changes and speed increase and I think it will play a lot better. Over all super fun multiplayer though and I hope I make it into the Alpha!

Idk, the speed feels OK to me. I wouldn't change it because the game was balanced around that speed. It could break the game. It would be like changing the tempo of a song.

DooM_RO said:

Idk, the speed feels OK to me. I wouldn't change it because the game was balanced around that speed. It could break the game. It would be like changing the tempo of a song.

Yeah I'm worried about that, maybe double would be a bit to fast, with SnapMap allowing us to adjust speed I have hope for a more classic feeling DM setting though. I had just came out of the BYOC after just finishing a chocolate doom duel with a friend, so it felt pretty slow to me I guess.

DemonSphere said:

Yeah I'm worried about that, maybe double would be a bit to fast, with SnapMap allowing us to adjust speed I have hope for a more classic feeling DM setting though. I had just came out of the BYOC after just finishing a chocolate doom duel with a friend, so it felt pretty slow to me I guess.

The speed seems to be somewhere between the normal and run speed of Doom 2 which is good enough for me.