Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

You could surround the arch-vile with a small square of "W1 Teleport (monsters only)" lines (with a small monster-blocking square around that so that the imps can't teleport) that sends the arch-vile into the circle. That'd be interesting. As is, the only real threat is running out of shotgun ammo killing too many resurrecting imps, but there's too much ammo for even that.

Sure. I guess this map is not about a threat, but rather about taking the time to get into a room and then finally getting in and looking around.

I like that feeling of finally getting into a location and then being able to freely walk around it.

Here are some screenshots for those who want to see them. Yes, I just came from the screenshots thread :D

Spoiler

The starting area

I got hit by the arch-vile :(

I liked the map, but there are some improvements you could make. There are never any enemies in the circle area - only in the middle. I could very easily take out the arch-vile from the safety of the circle without worrying about taking damage. Another thing I noticed was a HOM effect on the lift leading out of the middle area. I liked the very brown theme, and different textures were mixed rather well.

I like the idea of "microwads" - maps I can finish within a minute or two. I might even give this a go myself at some point!

1. Monsters in the circle.

I tried that and it seemed tedious, so I removed it. I have been thinking about it, though. But I am not sure how to execute this without ruining the beautiful microcosm feeling.

2. HOM effect

Yes, I noticed that too! I wonder why it happens! I tried variations of lightning and sector height, but nothing seemed to help. Any ideas?

FDA

I thought it was pretty fun, though I was really expecting a renewed wave of monsters to come at me once I collected the blue key and/or flipped the switch.

Simple but well executed. Sort of reminded me of an inverse castle siege with defenders rushing around pouring arrows, pitch and God knows what else onto the attackers below. I also enjoy the feeling of exploring somewhere that was blocked off but visible (like E1M1 or MAP1), feels like you've got into somewhere you're not supposed to be!

Corrected textures, however, this did not remove the HOM effect. Can anyone help? Renewed file at the same link.

@meapineapple I did try it, but it did not feel like a good concept.

Yes, your mistake is that you call the lift action on the square lift - but there is also the red door in the middle of the square lift sector, and this door sector doesn't move and uncovers its missing lower textures. Lifts always go down to the lowest adjacent floor, wait a few seconds, and then go back up to their original floor height. But only the tagged sector.

Note that you cannot fix it by simply tagging the door sector as lift. Each lift sector evaluates its lowest adjacent floor separately, at the moment when the action is called. Therefore, the door sector (if it was a lift) would evaluate its lowest adjacent floor as the upper height of the surrounding sector, and it wouldn't move down at all.