Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I made a small boom map that's mostly about conserving ammo and finding what that weird switch did, and figuring out what the hell that one key is for.

If I can beat this map with 100% monster kills then so can you.

Download it here!

attachment - cgdeviant.zip

cgdeviant-screenshot.png

cgdeviant-automap.png

Edited by meapineapple : fix images

Fun map, except that the Barons made it way too tedious to even attempt 100% kills. I suggest to either replace the exit pair with Imps and the other one with a Revenant, or turn them all to Revenants or Hell Knights AND provide a Berserk pack to let the player practice punching fast. The visuals were simplistic, but appealing anyway. I liked the shapes of architecture. On the other hand, the progression mechanic was monotonous, just switch hunts to make the next area accessible, I prefer less straightforward progression with varied ideas.

This project also completely lacks information about minimum required compatibility / source port. I've figured out that it's Boom (PrBoom-plus -complevel 9)

By the way, I apologize that I didn't respond to your PM yet, but I've already played the map and I'm going to respond.

Did you try inciting infighting? That's how I intended for it to be done to get 100% kills. I was able to finish with two bullets left and having thrown only a handful of punches.

I edited the post a few minutes after putting it up with the port, sorry for that delay.

I'm looking forward to hearing back about that map!

Good to see you mapping again meapineapple <3

I got max kills with 104 bullets left at the end, and that's with sloppy disposal of the exit barons (~140 bullets for one and ~120 for the other) since I knew I had so much ammo left. The lack of health is good -- prevents a carefree romp to hit all the switches and trigger a ton of infighting at once -- but you could take away even more ammo.

I like how souls and cacos are able to fit into the start room, even though it initially looked like they were having a bunch of trouble. I used this to punch quite a few souls to death . . . uh, to super death . . . but it was a frightening surprise when the caco got in there with me! :o

Nice visuals. I'm always a fan of the cement textures.

meapineapple said:

Did you try inciting infighting? That's how I intended for it to be done to get 100% kills. I was able to finish with two bullets left and having thrown only a handful of punches.

My point was different: I agree that it's not impossible to do it. But I think it's not enough exciting or rewarding to spend additional time doing it. If you put too much enemy health in contrast with little threat coming from them, the player will get bored by fighting them and he will outrun them instead, specially if it's easily possible. And this is the kind of imbalance that could have been prevented / improved already by the mapper, by balancing enemy health, placement and threat reasonably efficiently, to motivate and engage the player into fighting.

I love how I'm simultaneously getting suggestions to increase and to decrease the amount of ammo. Truly this is the epitome of life as a mapper.

@rdwpa Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

@40oz It's really good to be pushing some maps out again. I've been toying with mapping every now and then but it took me a while to get back in the zone of actually finishing the maps I start.

meapineapple said:

I love how I'm simultaneously getting suggestions to increase and to decrease the amount of ammo. Truly this is the epitome of life as a mapper.

It depends on what you're going for, I think. If it's pure ammo preservation, then you could do with less. If it's more of a typical map, then it could do with a wider variety (perhaps a lot fewer bullets and then a rocket launcher with a tiny number of rockets -- though that sort of undercuts the name, unfortunately).

I do agree that the barons were the weakest part of the map. Something like swapping the barons for HKs and then taking away 150 bullets* would immediately make the map better while changing little about its character. Swapping the ledge baron for a HK and the exit barons for revvies and taking away 190 bullets could be nice too. (One of the exit revvies could then have a W1 monster teleport line so that he pops out into the field. There are a bunch of directions you could go.

*Technically it might be more like 130-140, because the HK would also be worse at taking out the cacos for us for free. But then again, the exit HKs might counterbalance that somewhat -- it's easier to sustain near-perfect accuracy while taking out 1000 hp of hell noble than 2000, thus the player will probably waste less ammo there.

Loved the map, pretty good! And I enjoy how there are structures in the rock, pretty cool design!

Two things:

1. You can actually get the red key without triggering monsters.
2. Barons at the end were not fun for me. I agree that a couple of imps would do.

Played a little more. I actually get the Barons at the end now. If the challenge is to save up your ammo - this makes sense. It is super tough though and I can get 1 Baron, but not 2 so far )

Louigi Verona said:

Played a little more. I actually get the Barons at the end now. If the challenge is to save up your ammo - this makes sense. It is super tough though and I can get 1 Baron, but not 2 so far )

Bless your perseverance, you finally understand me

very good looking, good usage of colors too.

and I actually like that survival style, forcing the player to run and search for ammo if he want to kill everyone.

Everyone else has commented pretty sufficiently, so I'll just say keep up the great work, cool little map!

I generally liked the map layout and it was nice to see a map that isn't too flat.

I feel it could use more detail and while I found the gameplay idea interesting it wasn't too much to my taste.

At the end I just skipped the last 2 barons and ran to the exit.

Sort of an average map for Me, I liked the challenge though but the Barons sort of ruined It for Me, had to skip them. Though, It'd be cool for It to have more maps for a even more bigger challenge to face.

Perfectly balanced for me. I managed to get the lone baron infighting with others without much difficulty so I guess that helped. Didn't bother punching. Needed the box of ammo on hidden on the cliff face to help finish off the final two barons.

Overall: sucked up all health bar one stimpack, all ammo, finished 100% all with 12 rounds left. Had a blast playing, love these sort of concept maps. Enemies weren't completely ridiculous either like I see sometimes.

UV-Fast demo

It would be interesting to incorporate a .deh file that modulates the Bruiser Bros. to have 200 less HP and a more aggressive attack + increased movement speed. This solves the "issue" people have with the 2 final Barons (Barons will always be problematic as they're ammo sinks without much of a challenge generally.)