Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

How you discovered the Doom series? / Your first time playing Doom?

As the disclaimer said: don't take it too seriously, I just wanted to get it out of my system. I hope it was at least entertaining to some extent. :P

Jaxxoon R said:

And I wasn't talking about E02, I was talking about Megamix and the team going apeshit after it was leaked again. I could understand if it was a commercial product that could hurt the final game in some way, but it's not.

Oh, that. I've noticed it's far more than Stealth who can be that way, and I addressed that in a more general sense here. I really like Saxman's project because it's more in line with Doom community thinking when it comes to sharing custom code openly.

Getting back to this:

Sodaholic said:

I hope you patched your way back to the proper '90s 1.9 versions. The BFG edition IWADs were sloppily thrown together with various unfortunate liberties taken with some standard graphics (and even missing entire pieces of content in other cases).

So are you still on the BFG version IWADs, Superluigieth?

i can remember my dad taking me to circuit city and they had shareware doom for sale. we had a mac so it was no go. finally mac mall or one of those catalogs advertised marathon and doom 2 bundled for mac so my dad ordered it and all was well but due to some delay doom2 for mac wasn't released for the better part of a year at least and I came home from school every day hoping it was there and after months it finally did show up. i guess i was about 10.

I'm pretty sure my first experience with the Doom engine was watching my uncle play Heretic on his black-and-white monitor (I think I was about 4 or 5 at the time.) I saw him die to the gargoyles, and thought that a black bat swooped down and carried him away (I'm myopic, so it was hard to see clearly). I don't recall when I saw a Doom game for the first time, but my earliest memories are watching my dad play Doom II, with me trying to make sense out of what was happening on the screen. I used to think that the BFG was used to open doors, for example.

Good times. If I recall correctly, my dad got a pirated version of Doom II from my uncle, along with a piece of paper with the IDDQD, IDKFA, IDCLIP codes written on it. He never played the game without god mode on.

The game was really scary for me back then, heh. Especially the Demons because of how fast they were and how unnatural their shapes looked. I was scared of the part near the end of "The Gantlet", where you open the door and find yourself standing on a ledge, with another ledge across the pit with several demons running along it. It was a creepy moment because you never knew when was one going to run into the teleporter and suddenly appear right next to you.

Linguica said:

Is this inter forum drama? It sounds like inter forum drama.

I imagined the rock saying this with that funny way he acts in
The Rundown, and i realy do not know why. (°_°)

I still remember this one.

It was Dec 16th 1993 when my former boss visited me at home, installed the game from the floppy disks, started it to show some of it and then asked:

"Can we do a game like this, too? It doesn't look too hard..."

Still cracks me up, how naive he was. :D

I suppose this would be spring 1993 or so. I was 8 or 9. My brother's friend, Beau, had a techy dad, so he had a pretty awesome PC for that time. Beau invited us over to check out this new game that was "even more violent than Mortal Kombat."

I remember the blue floor of e1m1. I remember the Gravis soundtrack and how different the instrumentation sounded from my consoles at home. I remember thinking the pistol was so cool and cinematic. I remember seeing the stairs between the two columns leading up to the first armor and wondering how exactly one was supposed to go up the stairs in a game played in first-person perspective.

Ultimately, I was taken in by the attitude of the game, the gore, the taboo subject of satanic themes, and the aesthetic sensation of the combination of sounds and the game's art direction and beautiful pixels.

This was followed by months of lamenting not having a good enough pc to play it at home. I had to settle for Blake Stone (shareware) and eventually Spear of Destiny. Hell, I don't think I had a pc of my own until 1997 or so, but I ended up having every console version available until that point (including the 3DO and Jaguar ports).

Mogul said:

I suppose this would be spring 1993 or so.

Hardly. Doom haven't been out yet at that time.

My earliest memory of Doom is when I bought it for the Atari Jaguar just after it was released.

My proudest moment was beating the game on nightmare difficulty without dying. That isn't as impressive as it sounds, as there was no respawning on the Jaguar version. My first few attempts were thwarted by a bug that would randomly crash the game whenever self-raising stairs were activated. On one occasion, I remember getting all the way up to Pandemonium (map 18 out of 24), only for the game to crash when I activated the raising stairs near the exit.. Grrrrr!

Christmas '93, or so:

Setting - a friend (lets call him Bob), calling long distance (about 700km away), from another friend (lets call him Bill's) workplace (PC shop).
friend: "You have to come down here and play this game with us!"
me: "Oh yeah?"
Bob: "Yes! Its called Doom. Its like Wolfenstein only 10 times better. Same guys made it. You won't believe your eyes!"
me: "Oh yeah?"
Bob: "Its got the graphics of a roleplaying game, but runs like an arcade game. Realistic mountains. Right now, I'm looking at Bill and he's looking out at the mountains, right through the window! You can move around! He's got a helmet! You can throw away your Amiga."
me: "Through the window?"
Bob: "You have to see it, I can't explain it. Get your ass down here!"
me: "Its christmas."
Bob: "This is better."

My memory is a little hazy but that's the closest I can get to my first memories of the concept of Doom. Sci-fi. Multiplayer. PC. I was making maps by April '94, starting off on Bob's 486, where I slept while he was at work, and worked on levels throughout the night on a 50% work droprate crashaholic edition of an archaic Windows-based editor called DoomEd. Its a wonder I ever finished a map with that thing. Later I continued on my brother's 386. By autumn I had a 486 tower cabinet of my own and was working DEU.

I wasn't alive when doom first came out, but I first played the Xbox live version of doom and I had no idea that such a doom community had existed. I've also heard about the game before I played it on the xbox, but I eventually decided to get the damn games on steam when I grew up a little.

In the spring 1994 I had just played Blake Stone and I thought it was terrific.

I can not remember who it was I was talking to, but I was telling him about Blake Stone and how much I enjoyed it. His reply was basically (paraphrasing), "No. No. That's nothing. You've got to try DooM!"

I did think much of it at the time, but a couple of months later I saw a copy of the shareware version of DooM in a local dollar store. The cardboard envelope it came in just had a colour printout of TITLEPIC. It didn't look like anything special.

It may seem funny, but I wasn't terribly impressed by DooM at first. It just seemed like an updated version of Wolfenstein 3D when I played E1M1 for the first time. The fact I was playing on "I'm Too Young to Die" probably had a lot to do with that, since the number of monsters was so sparse.

However, once I started playing E1M2 is when I started getting hooked. With the darkened areas and all those place to explore, I couldn't help being drawn in.

By the time I was finished the first episode I was hopelessly addicted, and over 20 years later, I still am.

Then I discovered editing ...

My earliest memory of Doom when I played it in my Aunt's Husband's Office,I wasn't aware that I was shooting and running out of ammo,I was playing E1M1 from Doom and I killed some Zombiemen,I failed to Kill that stupid imp in the last part,and that was the day I hated Imps ever since till now!!!!!

then I played E3M1 and I got hit by everything around me and I didn't know what was that in the first place "Those Damn Imps" and I hurried up and Quited the game after I was scared. lol

after that I started being addicted to the game,started to improve in playing,I played it on the easy difficulty,and then I played it on UV and I loved it more than the easy difficulty because it has more monsters.

till now I'm still addicted to this game.

Mine is actually not of DooM, but its sequel.
A buddy and I went to a computer store and there it was. I know we played MAP16, Suburbs, but I have a vague notion of possibly playing MAP15 as well.
Apparently, my buddy had been there before (without buying anything, just playing), so a clerk threw us out pretty quick.
I also remember playing MAP01 at another classmate's house later on, but I didn't play DooM until much later.

When I was in my teens, my friends and I, used to visit a local computer shop in Stockport - Software Superstore. We knew and were friendly with the staff and one day when it was quiet Wayne the shop manager showed us DOOM for the first time - mind blowing stuff. He gave a copy of the shareware version to my friend, Dave, whose parents had a 486sx. Many good long hours playing it at his house. The first time we heard the Pinkie we shit ourselves!

Good memories!

Dave

I first played the shareware version of Doom on a Windows 3.1 laptop. Black and white, PC Speaker, the whole works. I didn't actually get to hear or see what Doom ACTUALLY looked or sounded like until the SNES release. Eventually, we upgraded to a Windows 95 desktop. By then, Doom 2 was out. And the rest is history.

Earliest memory is still of me just killing my first Pinky. When I think of first Doom encounter, it's the only thing I remember. Killing a pinky through the window on E1M4, I think. Whatever the first map with Pinkys on the easiest setting.

Clonehunter said:

Earliest memory is still of me just killing my first Pinky. When I think of first Doom encounter, it's the only thing I remember. Killing a pinky through the window on E1M4, I think. Whatever the first map with Pinkys on the easiest setting.

Take your pick:

E1M3: Secret exit path.

E1M4: He's in an early part of the maze, I had to lure him very far to get to the window to take this screenshot.

E1M5: Behind the yellow key.

E1M6: He's in a closet next to blue keycard (behind red door), I had to lure him to the start area to take this screenshot.

Yes, I know this possibly has been posted a THOUSAND times before, but I wanna get to know everyone! So, When did You Guys first discover DOOM?

I'll start first: I discovered DOOM by just randomly looking at PSX Games on a Emulation site back around... Maybe when I was 7 or 6 (I was born In 1997 after all), I saw a PSXDOOM ISO and researched the game, where I pretty much downloaded the IWAD, got a Source Port, and played, and I've been playing It ever since along with Duke Nukem, Quake, Blood, all those Dos classics.

I first played Doom when I was 7 years old back in '96 or '97, on an original IBM computer that belonged to my pops. Of course by that time Doom 2, Heretic, and Rise of the Triad were also out, so I enjoyed playing them all. I think the first shooter I ever played was the Beavis and Butthead Meets Wolfenstein mod. Simpson Doom came out somewhere near then as well and I used to love to play that as well.

Fonze said:

I first played Doom when I was 7 years old back in '96 or '97, on an original IBM computer that belonged to my pops. Of course by that time Doom 2, Heretic, and Rise of the Triad were also out, so I enjoyed playing them all. I think the first shooter I ever played was the Beavis and Butthead Meets Wolfenstein mod. Simpson Doom came out somewhere near then as well and I used to love to play that as well.

Nice! And Yea, I remember playing a bit of DOOM II, just not as much as DOOM 1, though I've been recently playing alot of DOOM II lately, so Yea. As for Wolfenstein, I haven't tried any Mods for It, It sounds Interesting though!

Enjay said:

Within 24 hours of it being available in December '93. :D

Man, You've been a Doomer way back then, Eh? That's pretty neat! Though, I wasn't born that day sadly. ;n;

Eris Falling said:

~2001, PSX. I was 4

Dang, Glad You made It through that version, It would've scared Me as a Kid (PC DOOM did, but I got used to It after a while).

scifista42 said:

Allegedly as a 3 years old sitting on my father's knees.

Same here :) Woulda been 1995 most likely.

Probably late 1993 or early 1994. I remember my dad telling me he downloaded the shareware version from his work place, since we didn't have internet back in the day. He eventually acquired a retail copy (probably from his dad), which I could then play on his Intel 486. My computer at the time (a 286) could barely run Wolfenstein 3D. I would have been 7 or 8 years old.

I didn't own a legitimate copy for myself until about 1995 or 1996, when the CD-ROM versions were available in stores. Doom II came first, then The Ultimate Doom, followed by the Master Levels. I started making my own levels by 1997.