Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tritnew

When Did You First Play DOOM?

scalliano said:

Midnight on Christmas Day, 1995 on my brand new shiny ... 32X.

I feel extremely bad for You, but close enough. c:

nxGangrel said:

Looks Native American to me. lol

True, It must be Nightwolf from Mortal Kombat.

I'm not sure why Sitters made a model for the Romero head actor. Possibly just to complete the set.

Personally, as a set, I like those models (as you might guess with it being my video). Let's be honest, it's very difficult to get models working well with the Doom movement and AI. So I can fully understand when people say "I don't like models in Doom" or "Doom doesn't suit models". Also, I get that people like the spritey appearance of Doom and that's part of the appeal for them.

However, I like the fact that Sitters decided to not be entirely faithful to the sprites and that he put his own spin on things a bit. I like the more "wiry" physique of the baron/hell knight, the reasonably hi-res look of the pistol zombies and shotgunners works well IMO and I think the mancubus model is one of the best enemy replacement models to appear in a Doom port. As a set, there is a bit of inconsistency thematically but, on the whole, I do think the models have a nice "alternative re-imagining" element to them and, when combined with the hi-res textures in Risen3D and some well selected maps, the overall effect is very nice IMO.

Enjay said:

I'm not sure why Sitters made a model for the Romero head actor. Possibly just to complete the set.

Personally, as a set, I like those models (as you might guess with it being my video). Let's be honest, it's very difficult to get models working well with the Doom movement and AI. So I can fully understand when people say "I don't like models in Doom" or "Doom doesn't suit models". Also, I get that people like the spritey appearance of Doom and that's part of the appeal for them.

However, I like the fact that Sitters decided to not be entirely faithful to the sprites and that he put his own spin on things a bit. I like the more "wiry" physique of the baron/hell knight, the reasonably hi-res look of the pistol zombies and shotgunners works well IMO and I think the mancubus model is one of the best enemy replacement models to appear in a Doom port. As a set, there is a bit of inconsistency thematically but, on the whole, I do think the models have a nice "alternative re-imagining" element to them and, when combined with the hi-res textures in Risen3D and some well selected maps, the overall effect is very nice IMO.

Yeah, Mancubus was the best model, I can apperciate what the Guy was trying to do, but I like the cartoony colorful feeling that the sprites gived to Me.

Man that video was a trip to watch. It reminded me of a Doom meets Turok type of thing.

I prefer sprites for the most part, but I don't mind 3D models when done right. I thought that a lot of the mobs and items looked sweet, but idk about how they walk. Its like there isn't enough upper body/head movement. Movement reminds me of that weird show Xavier: Renegade Angel. Just something about it seems off. Also, idk about the cyberdemon. Among the other high-def things his metal leg from the side looked underdetailed. Also, some deaths, such as the cyber's and manc's, were questionable.

On the flip side, when I saw bullet holes in the HK and baron, I just about flipped my shit. That was a great touch and even though the barons moved weirdly and imo should have been either buffer or even more wirey like the original Doom art, after I saw that they were my favorite enemy. The mancubus and zombies were all pretty cool, but again with the walking.

The fact looked hilarious, in a good way, and the PE and demon looked like something off of either N64 or one of those new indie phone games.

The weapon retextures were bad ass. Flat out, they looked great. The only thing I could possibly gripe about is a common problem with most mods, the way the shotgun's animation runs, it doesn't look powerful like a shotgun would feel irl. No recoil, no kick-back, no nothing. But most mods are like that. Tbh, I liked the shotguns animation here better than in most other "hi-def" mods.

I'd imagine that animating in 3D gets pretty tough, so with that taken into consideration I think whoever made it (Sitters) did an awesome job, certainly better than I could ever do. :)

Shareware release on some gem of a 386 running 3.1 that needed a disk to boot it to dos because there wasn't enough ram to run it otherwise.

Also, PC speaker only...no sound card so I never actually knew how it sounded until I got the SNES version.

SavageCorona said:

Honestly the 3D models are ugly, poorly animated and don't fit.

Finally someone agrees. A Friend thinks It makes DOOM look more creepy, I mean... DOOM's suppose to be colorful, Am I right?

Tritnew said:

Finally someone agrees. A Friend thinks It makes DOOM look more creepy, I mean... DOOM's suppose to be colorful, Am I right?

I prefer creepy over colorful. That's probably why I liked Quake 1 as game a little more.

The 3D models were cool the first couple of times I tried them out on Doomsday years ago. But the more you looked at it, the less it felt appropriate. It's not as clean as the sprites in terms of consistency and professionalism. The same goes for the HD texture packs.

Played Doom 1+2 very shortly after they where released originally. Was making my "Abitur" back then (it is something like college in Germany, basically your final 3 or 4 school years).

A friend introduced me to those games, and all of a sudden i needed a PC "for school". (Hey thanks Peter, if you read this, go on facebook and leave me a message).

I am not sure if the game felt so good if it wasnt for the normal shotgun. Feels and sounds just right blasting zombies and imps away with that boomstick.

And hello community, my second post here. Hope we all can be friends and stuff. :)

nxGangrel said:

I prefer creepy over colorful. That's probably why I liked Quake 1 as game a little more.

I dunno, It looked professional since the sprites were made one by one by Clay Models, while the Models In 3D just... Kicks that feeling out the door, ain't my fault I love DOOM the way It Is. ;v;

karacho said:

And hello community, my second post here. Hope we all can be friends and stuff. :)

Never. We will troll you all the way to the loonie bin ;p
Or til you start carving, "Brooks was here" in the wall O.O

Nah jk, people here are cool as long as you act like an adult.
...well, an adult with the sense of humor of a juvenile, heh.

Fonze said:

Never. We will troll you all the way to the loonie bin ;p
Or til you start carving, "Brooks was here" in the wall O.O

Nah jk, people here are cool as long as you act like an adult.
...well, an adult with the sense of humor of a juvenile, heh.

Yea, just don't make rape jokes like Terry and It'll all be Ok. c:

Hahahaha aww but that's half of the fun :(

How about just this instead:
t[-_-t]

...Or make jokes about Doomguy raping a demon with his bare hands or something, I guess that's better.

Around 2000-2001. My cousin had final doom and he was playing with my other cousin. It looked cool and i wanted to try but the fucker put it on the hardest difficulty and didnt tell me how to play and i ended up disliking the game til a few years ago when i was in a foreign country with a cheap laptop with nothing to do so I gave it another shot. Now i love it

Vs1991 said:

Around 2000-2001. My cousin had final doom and he was playing with my other cousin. It looked cool and i wanted to try but the fucker put it on the hardest difficulty and didnt tell me how to play and i ended up disliking the game til a few years ago when i was in a foreign country with a cheap laptop with nothing to do so I gave it another shot. Now i love it

God, What an Asshole. Glad You got to like It though!

I was 6 back then, I was browsing around a site with my father and he pointed me to a game in the list, "Oh son I used to play this when I was younger, you should give it a try", I then downloaded the game, it was a Demo version of Doom that had only the first chapter, it was enough to mark me for the rest of my life. And here I am today, 16 years old and still playing the game and running .wads for extra fun, even though only a select few people know the game where I live, they're most awesome guys, so I can confirm that the Doom playerbase is incredible =D
By the way, I made an account to share my story, I know I don't write very well but, meh, a random fact to finish it then, my favourite wad ever is Neodoom, it's a Megawad with new weapons and enemies, if you haven't played go on and try it!

Nice little story, I'm pretty much 18 and I still play FPS and other stuff. Though, glad You discovered DOOM at a young age, guess We're on the same page with Age, expect with the fact I discovered DOOM on my own.

Enderkevin13 said:

Back In '04, When I Used To Play The Doom95 Port.
Later I Played Doom II And Then In '08 Or Something Ultimate Doom.

So I've Also Been A Little Marine.

I've For Many Days Observed
From The Far-Off Mountain Tops
Like The Clouds That Float On The Wind,

Your Enigmatic Posting
Is Of Such Natural Wonder
Coming And Going
Across The Waves Of DoomWorld
Formatted To Such Beauty

Of A Decomposing Elephant
Being Fucked by A Killer Whale
That Farts Its Words,
Their Meanings,
Their Essence,

Into The Air As Radioactive
Sweeps Of Calligraphy,
That Glow In The Night
With Everlasting Luminescence.

Marnetmar said:

Your Enigmatic Posting
Coming And Going
Formatted To Such Beauty

That Farts Its Words,
Their Meanings,
Their Essence,

Sweeps Of Calligraphy,
That Glow In The Night

Bwahahahaha

Marnetmar said:

Your Enigmatic Posting
Coming And Going
Formatted To Such Beauty

That Farts Its Words,
Their Meanings,
Their Essence,

Sweeps Of Calligraphy,
That Glow In The Night

Needs more Cowbell.

Marnetmar said:

Your Enigmatic Posting
Coming And Going
Formatted To Such Beauty

That Farts Its Words,
Their Meanings,
Their Essence,

Sweeps Of Calligraphy,
That Glow In The Night

Reminds me of "Astronomy" by Blue Oyster Cult ^^

At a video game store here in Canada called Master Player. A demo machine had the SNES version loaded.

Back in '94 when my dad's co-worker gave him a floppy of Doom. He wasn't able to use his totally state-of-the-art IBM Thinkpad if I ever got a hold of it while he was home.