Hello. You may be wondering who I am.

I am a relatively new ROM hacker, I started ROM hacking in late 2014. I had only started Doom ROM Hacking around 1 and a half months ago, I had not started with doom. However. In this time I have achieved things on the legendary status of ROM hacking. I had hacked the Doom SNES sounds, text, and most importantly graphics. I also found the music data. I am only a teenager and I have done this all.

But let us begin with my documentation and IPS patches for the ROM.

How did I do this?

The sounds and text were the easiest. I used a tool called SNESSor and I was able to successfully replace the BRR samples (Bit Rate Reduction, which is an ADPCM format which compresses every 32 bytes of sound data to 9 bytes, while still sounding clear.) The text was a matter of replacing text with a hex editor (HxD is my personal choice of hex editor)

The graphics took me about 2 weeks to find. I used a tool called Tile Molester, and the reason it took so long is I had no access to a computer for a while so I was using DOS tools on my android tablet. And when I did get my computer problems fixed, I had then used Tile Molester, and after screwing around with the bitplanes I had successfully found the textures. I only edited the Knee Deep in the Dead skybox texture, because the other textures had dots all over them and appeared to be using RLE (Run Length Encoding) like the Wolf3D SNES sprites, but the Skybox was perfectly clear, and just had to be rotated. Due to the different way the skybox works in the SNES version than the PC version the Doom 2 skybox texture I used did not connect well, due to the sky in the PC version of doom being a cylinder, and the SNES version using a cube shaped skybox, so it does not connect well like in the PC version, but it is what it is. The textures start at hex offset 8000 in the ROM and they use 8bpp linear, and the font graphics are 8bpp also, but use 8bpp planar (I think, I have not looked at the font in a while.) The weapon sprites appear to be using RLE (run length encoding) and they use the 4bpp planar composite codec.

The music data was fairly advanced, yet easy if you know how pointers and general hex works. It was as simple as this. I searched the E1M1 SPC for some 20 CD FF bytes, due to those being the starting bytes of the SPC engine in EVERY standard SPC file. I found them, and from there searched for the first 00 byte after the 20 CD FF, due to 00 being the end byte of a pointer. I found it, then did reverse order on the 2 bytes before the 00, and I opened up the search tab, clicked goto and entered the reversed 2 bytes before the 00 for the end of the pointer in the SPC file but did not enter the 00. I was brought to the hex address 8F10 in my SPC file, and I then selected a big chunk of hex from that address and opened up my Doom SNES ROM, opened up the search tab, pressed find, pasted the block of hex code and I found an exact match. The thing about this is that HxD, if you use find, and there is not an EXACT match of what you search for in the file, it just says "whatever you searched for here not found." So I knew I had found the music data. I even checked the bytes after the chunk of hex I pasted in the SPC file, they were the same as in the ROM.

This concludes this post for now, I will update but here is the IPS file for the skybox texture hack.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/68gizwoau9ut42h/DoomHack.ips?dl=0

How to patch your ROM with the hack.
1. Get Lunar IPS
2. Make sure your Doom ROM is an unmodified USA version ROM (USA version used in all of north america.)
3. Select the unmodified ROM
4. Select the IPS patch
5. Hit apply
6. Open the new ROM you have in an emulator.
7. Look at the sky.

On August 13, 2015, I found something amazing. I was looking for the official SNES SDK and I found and downloaded one. It was a DOS tool and I pressed the help button. Guess what it said? Sculpted Software's SSBUG. Sculpted Software was involved in porting Doom to the SNES. They published Doom SNES (I think they programmed some parts of Doom SNES too, but they are in the credits, hidden in the ROM and are credited elsewhere) Guess what other files there were? Super FX documentation among other documentation on SNES chips and hardware, and also there was an assembler. DOOM SNES development jackpot or what?