Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Camaxide

Where to release big wad's?

It's still "early" in the process as I'm only halfway in completing the second chapter - but I'm creating fairly huge project for Doom2 and wonder what might be a good place to release it? I was thinking the easiest might be to find a file-server and simply provide a link to that? Or is there better ways?

The whole project weights about 750mb today, and I expect it to land somewhere close to but likely not exceeding 1Gb, so I'm not aiming to release it with files located on any of the usual Doom-file providers..

Google Drive is the first thing that comes to mind. You can store files up to 5TB in size. I've been using it for a few months now, and I'm loving it. Just make sure you set up your sharing permissions correctly. A free account comes with 15GB.

Thanks EarthQuake, I'll look into Google Drive when I'm closing to completion :) I thought those were mostly for personal use and small shares - and not if many may end up downloading - but then again it may not be that many :)

Fuzz: It has new monsters, weapons, maps, graphics, and most notably size-wise - high quality Flac music.

Jmickle: The games I use to play has patches larger than this, I don't see how on today's broadband's this is even close to ridiculous.. :)

Thanks for all the feedback =)

Anyone who likes good sound-quality will appreciate the lossless music :)
However, all music is in a separate wad and don't have to be downloaded or loaded to run the chapters, fitting default doom-music will play instead for each map if the music wad isn't loaded.. :) So for those who either are still stuck on a 56k modem, have filled all their gigs, or are on a per-mb deal (I really hope no one is by 2015) there is always the chance to just skip that part altogether, but not recommended :)

1Gb Is a 5min download on a 25Mb broadband.. and flac is well worth the quality improvement over lossy mp3-files. with most people also sitting on a few TB of disk-space I don't see how it could be much of a problem with size.. counting 0.1% of a single Tb.

Camaxide said:

Good intention but in-game there will be at least the monsters and the weapons sounds . And the players will be more focused on the surrounding events and fighting. The difference between FLAC and mp3 will not be felt so much. Also not everyone has a fiber-optic or extremely fast connection. Imo these are thing you should consider.

I suggest releasing the soundtrack separately as regular FLAC files. I don't think there's any need for lossless music in WAD files, for the reasons previously stated.

Camaxide said:

and flac is well worth the quality improvement over lossy mp3-files.

FLAC quality is wholly unnecessary—MP3 is probably good enough, especially because I can't imagine how many Doom players are using phenomenal sound systems/headphones to pick up the differences. Plus you'd ideally want smaller file sizes so people can quickly download it and find out whether they like your stuff or not. I have a really finicky 2Mb/sec download rate here and I sure as hell am not downloading a 1GB file for Doom of all things.

Camaxide said:

1Gb Is a 5min download on a 25Mb broadband.. and flac is well worth the quality improvement over lossy mp3-files. with most people also sitting on a few TB of disk-space I don't see how it could be much of a problem with size.. counting 0.1% of a single Tb.

Some people don't have fast internet, and I'm currently quite low on disk space.

Camaxide said:

I like good sound quality, so you won't satisfy me unless you're planning to release the music on vinyl. :p

I only play Doom wads in my personal symphony hall so if your wad download doesn't include a live band or orchestra then get that garbage away from me.

*turns up nose*

Why the fuck are you saying this "mp3" shit that shit needs to burn in the 90's where it belongs we got like OGG Vorbis and Opus now which are both successively smaller faster and more efficient than mp3 and you're all up and on about some messy copyright mess of a format like a bunch of creepy-creeps I don't know where you're pulling all these flacs from but they better be Sonic After the Sequel levels of eargasmic original ost soundtrack music if its just copyrighted songs or rips from Super Nintendo games you're going about everything wrong and horrible because even if it was something from like Sphinxter and the Scursed Muppy Babies on the Xbox ripped straight from the disc if it was ever at any point rendered in a lossy format before becoming a flac you're doomed to have a gugajigglion petabyte wad for no reason and there's n

Camaxide said:

It's four hours for me...

Yeah, seconding OGGs. I suggest that you distribute two different music packs, one using OGG, the other FLAC. The perfectionist in me understands why you'd want FLACs in-game. But for those unwilling to download it, having it in OGG is a nice compromise without resorting to MIDIs.

deathbringer said:

I'm getting flashbacks to Doom Rampage Edition... hold me

*Hugs Deathbringer*

SuperCupcakeTactics said:

I'm still kinda curious to see exactly what's in this and how it looks :S

Same here. For all we know this earnest fellow might be building Sistine Chapels with Doom Builder or something, heh.

Whoah - that's a lot of response in short time.
I see many people say they are on low bandwidth - so I guess I will consider a lossy format as an alternative for those who cant get the full thing. I thought Norway was lagging behind in the broadband thing, but seem I was wrong on that.

It's good to get the response here - as I can plan ahead for that.
For the record, no I did not compose my own music as I'm not a musician, but a level designer. Some is from fan-based material for instance (many making Doom-tracks) as well as some royalty free tracks etc. It's a mix of tracks fitting the levels.

Music is made in such a way that the tracks loop, meaning they wont be having an 'ending' like the old mid music tend to do in the old games.

For textures, actors, graphics etc. there's things taken from various Doom-fan pages like Realm 667, used as a base. Some actors are as they were from the source, some are heavily modified. I also make graphics, sprites, sounds and textures myself when I miss something I need.

The pack is made for use with ZDoom, and I use UDMF for Doom for the maps.

Camaxide said:

I see many people say they are on low bandwidth - so I guess I will consider a lossy format as an alternative for those who cant get the full thing.

I think a lot of people would appreciate that. Good luck with your wad.

Camaxide said:

However, all music is in a separate wad and don't have to be downloaded or loaded to run the chapters, fitting default doom-music will play instead for each map if the music wad isn't loaded.. :)

Some people seem to have missed that point, though an alternative music format would help players with slow connections. There's more of them than you might think.

MediaFire works well enough for me as a file host and their data retention policy is quite reasonable, though they sometimes resort to using CAPTCHA.