Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cire

Possible to convert PNG to Doom palette?

Is there a way to convert a PNG image that resembles a palette-like pictures with 256 fields of different colors to a Doom palette format file? I've tried different ways to do it with GIMP but can't get it to work correctly.

Sure. Assuming you can convert it to a PNG that looks like such: then in SLADE you can create a new palette and import the PNG, and it will convert it.

Yep, I understand. The problem is that the image is much bigger in resolution ie. each field is a square that's several pixel in size, and there's black borders a few pixels between each color field. I suspected that was the reason SLADE can't convert it right off the bat. I'll try to get it working.

The black borders between each color would probably present a problem, yes.

One of the first things I would try would be to crop the thing properly, make sure it's 8-bit, and flood-fill the black lines in between each color to the same as the color at index #0 (i.e. the top left corner). Then use whatever image editor you have to try and extract a 256-color palette. If you're lucky, it would scan the image left-to-right, top-to-bottom and hit each color and index it in the proper order.

Cire said:

Is there a way to convert a PNG image that resembles a palette-like pictures with ....

You could use BHS's Palette Generator, which generates a palette.act file from any png image.
Simply drag the resulting act file into your pwad (use Slade3) and rename the lump to PLAYPAL.

Note that SLADE 3 can import Gimp palettes directly.

Archive->New->PLAYPAL (any one will do)
Then select the new palette lump, and Palettes->Import from... and select your Gimp palette file.

Sorry, I haven't had time to work on it, I've put it on hold for now.