Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Buckshot

Most underrated games you've ever played

Is a game with overwhelmingly positive reviews still underrated? Psychonauts is the #1 game that becomes overrated by how everyone says its underrated. Its a Rare style collect-a-thon. Double Fine is good at brainwashing people.

I've got a real underrated game for everyone and I say it with a straight face. Guise of the Wolf. Somehow people think its the worst thing since broken glass ice cream when there are far worse game.

Dungeon Keeper 2 is still an awesome game to this day, but I can't ever call it underrated with all the love it gets. A lot of people hate it for just being a graphical upgrade to the first, but the first looks so ancient I can't enjoy it.

Zelda 2 and Super Mario Bros 2 are underrated or they used to be. There used to be this wave of people that hated it, but now there's a wave saying people hate it, but its still really good.

dio said:

Super Mario Bros 2

Are you talking about the remake of doki doki panic or the official one?
Btw I really liked Zelda 2.

Tritnew said:

It's never mentioned sometimes)

Huh? So is it supposed to mean "rarely", "frequently", "always" or "never"?

SavageCorona said:

But Guise of the Wolf is a broken and shit game.

It might have been in the past. I think its fixed. Its just low budget with flaws. I can't call it shit though.

gaspe said:

Are you talking about the remake of doki doki panic or the official one?
Btw I really liked Zelda 2.

Me too. I mean the American SMB2. The Japanese one is good too, but the Lost Levels is good on the SNES.

scifista42 said:

Huh? So is it supposed to mean "rarely", "frequently", "always" or "never"?

Well, I would go with either never or rarely, because I mostly hear people talk about FF7 and Crash Bandicoot and say to myself "What about PaRappa The Rapper? That was a cool game." In my head sometimes, I'm more of a Crash fan but PaRappa was a catchy and cool game. :V

dio said:

Is a game with overwhelmingly positive reviews still underrated? Psychonauts is the #1 game that becomes overrated by how everyone says its underrated. Its a Rare style collect-a-thon. Double Fine is good at brainwashing people.

Yeah, I just saw that everyone loves It. :V I think It wasn't popular when It first came out though untill YEARS ago, then It started getting the attention It needs, like most games at first. I think a underrated game would be Rayman 1.

P.S: Sorry for the double posts.

J.C Denton said:

-Dungeon Keeper 1 & 2 : I have been playing them for hours. Still will play. It's a shame they truly disappeared. I have not played the game inspired from them but oh well.

I remember playing the first one on my roommate's PC in my first year of university (1998-1999). (He described it as an "old" game at the time, but it wasn't released much more than a year or two earlier...) I've sort of kept it in the back of my mind since then, although it hasn't completely disappeared: it's on GOG.com. What was the game inspired from them, though?

DoomUK said:

I'm going to go ahead and say that Painkiller is an underrated game, period. Yeah it's dumb, yeah it's linear, yeah I get why people point and laugh at it. But I really dug it.

It might be simultaneously underrated and overrated: overrated by those who consider it the second coming of Doom, and underrated otherwise. It's still fun for an hour or so when you want some mindless, cathartic mowing down of enemies without the burden of exploration or puzzles :-)

CODOR said:

What was the game inspired from them, though?

War for the Overworld. It was a kickstarter project and has turned out quite well after a few patches.

CODOR said:

It's still fun for an hour or so when you want some mindless, cathartic mowing down of enemies without the burden of exploration or puzzles :-)

I'm sure I said it a lot of times on this forum alone, but it also has a nice secret-hunting element, so it's not entirely one-dimensional.

Then there are conditions for getting Tarot cards. Sometimes it's simply about secrets or loot, sometimes it's different.

I think its a lot easier to talk about overrated games than underrated games.

probably Dark Heart of Uurkrul, Captive, Hard Nova type-stuff, weird old RPGs that got even less hype than the gold boxed games :D Amiga/Atari RPG gaming just seemed to rule for some reason

Rage is a pretty underrated game. Everyone says it's a shit borderlands ripoff but it's kind of not. It's a top notch shooter with insanely detailed animations and satisfying combat that I haven't seen implemented in any other game to that level.

SavageCorona said:

Rage is a pretty underrated game. Everyone says it's a shit borderlands ripoff but it's kind of not. It's a top notch shooter with insanely detailed animations and satisfying combat that I haven't seen implemented in any other game to that level.

Agreed. Sadly it has a few technical issues, and to this day I can't run it without seeing that dreadful texture popping. Also, some parts of the game are a bit "meh". But the combat is absolutely stellar.

Speaking of flawed, but brilliant and underrated FPSs, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the Stalker games. I know they have a fanbase, but I don't think they really caught on with the general market.

The combat of Rage seemed a bit easy compared to most earlier ID Software games. One thing I didn't like about Rage was how they handed out almost every weapon at the beginning through only a few missions.

The only STALKER game which I wouldn't call underrated is Clear Sky due to how bad it was, but Shadow of Chernobyl and Call of Pripyat are very underrated.

DoomUK said:

Agreed. Sadly it has a few technical issues, and to this day I can't run it without seeing that dreadful texture popping. Also, some parts of the game are a bit "meh". But the combat is absolutely stellar.

Not sure why people seem to think that texture popping is the spawn of satan game breaking problem when it's just a thing that happens when you turn around too quickly. It's also only a big problem if you use AMD cards. It's optimised for Nvidia so AMD will run like shit. It looks like shit on both regardless though.

I remember playing Spongebob Squarepants Movie: The Video Game when I a kid, I gotta say that it was actually pretty good for a licensed game, especially the part where you play as Patrick in a comic book themed world.

Chaser was a pretty decent shooter, with awesome glass shattering effects. The game's plot though was strung way to far out, the sniper mission was atrocious, and the voice acting was often pretty bad, but usually entertainingly so. But the shooting segments were fun, and the soundtrack was pretty decent too. Visually, it looked good for the time it came out, minus a few questionable shaders here and there.

I totally agree with most peoples opinions here so no point repeating them (but yay for Stalker and Dungeon keeper! and I would also like to include Medieval 2 total war since everyone seems to love Rome more).

Who here played the game Gladius? I got it on the original Xbox back in the day. Game - is - awesome

And if you get the Dolphin emulator on PC a resourceful person can play it on PC using an Xbox controller! But I had some performance issues.

Avoozl said:

The only STALKER game which I wouldn't call underrated is Clear Sky due to how bad it was...

Install The Faction War Mod for Clear Sky and you get something pretty special though. Take it for a test drive and you’ll agree: 'Zagrevev min zlotny dev'

Tecmo's Deception had a very unique and unorthodox (for its time) premise. I remember renting it and playing until the sun came up the next day, 21 hours later. The disc warped in my PSX.

Clonehunter said:

Chaser was a pretty decent shooter, with awesome glass shattering effects. The game's plot though was strung way to far out, the sniper mission was atrocious, and the voice acting was often pretty bad, but usually entertainingly so. But the shooting segments were fun, and the soundtrack was pretty decent too. Visually, it looked good for the time it came out, minus a few questionable shaders here and there.

Agreed! I really enjoyed Chaser. It had diverse settings that still worked really well together. The story was mysterious and interesting, not so predictable as many other FPS stories. Some of the level design was really great, with open layouts and some degree of non-linearity.

Avoozl said:

I liked Chaser also, but the underground Mars maps were a little cringworthy.

I never got that far. I actually stopped at the first sniper mission (Protect the Truck II) because it was pretty awful. It also took me a very long time to finally pass that first "Protect the Truck" level. That was some major bullshit.

APparently, I only got about one third of the way through the game? Or do I go to Mars, finally, after that?