Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Coraline

recommendations for good c++ debugger?

Hi guys,

Looking for a good c++ debugger to run 3DGE through. I've never really used a debugger for a project like this - in fact, I usually don't have to at all, but for a certain case (Polyobjects), I need to see what the engine is doing when it crashes (--> TranslatetoStartSpot). I've heard of a few but I wanted to see what other programmers use (and why).

Thanks! I use MinGW32 for compiling and Cygwin for compiling KOS/3DGE (don't use VS or anything fancy).

I tried building that in Cygwin and it failed (guess I'll try in MinGW), but I've heard good things about it. Is there a pre-compiled version somewhere I could grab?

edit: Nevermind, found some binaries =) Gonna give it a shot.

You'll also need an IDE to use gdb with, unless you like it oldschool. For C/C++ code, gdb works wonders with Eclipse (with the CDT plugin). Much less so for Fortran, though.

Maes said:

You'll also need an IDE to use gdb with, unless you like it oldschool. For C/C++ code, gdb works wonders with Eclipse (with the CDT plugin). Much less so for Fortran, though.

It's been a very long time since I've used and/or set up Eclipse. Do you have the option to "Make" programs with it as well? If so it'd be cool to set it up for 3DGE as 3DGE only uses makefiles (SCONS for linux, but I don't use SCONS).

Yes, it has full support for custom existing Makefile builds, as well as auto-generated ones. I use it professionally everyday.

If you have a Windows environment and support Visual Studio solutions, then that's a no brainer. As far as IDEs go, it's fantastic. The debugger is completely integrated for all languages supported.