Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

It'd be cool if they released the old Doom 4 as-is without warranty

Just for historical interest and curiosity. Unlikely to ever happen, but if it's not too much trouble, I think they should at least consider it. I'm sure the game sucks, but it'd be cool to take a look at for its own sake.

I was just pondering this very idea yesterday. I'd like to see how it was going to. I'm betting it's very COD with demons. Would be an interesting quick play through. Like most COD games.

I doubt it's fully playable. Probably full of bugs and missing major features and assets.

They aren't gonna commercially exploit it anyway, so why not be like "okay, here, have fun" like with the 0.4 and 0.5 alphas? (yes, I'm aware those were leaked without permission and id said they were okay with it remaining out there)

Probably won't happen but the least we can do is hope more leaks come out to give us a clearer picture.

I'm wondering what the demons would look like or if the gameplay would even closely resemble that of earlier titles. I get the impression movement and weapon design was very COD-like.

Marnetmar said:

It's probably unfeasible because it ran on id Tech 5 and is therefore likely gigantic.

Heh, I didn't even consider that. Megatextures were an impractical mistake. You shouldn't need an entire render farm to merely texture a level! Carmack really is better off in VR, where he can innovate. He seems to be good at developing immature fields, but awful at keeping up with mature ones.

He also always had mediocre game design sense, look at how rigid and lacking his early Ultima clones were (these were extremely early attempts, to be fair), and how he never seemed to consider how wildly experimental tech might harmfully impact the design process. Tech first, then game around it no matter how impractical.

I'm sure he rationalized the acceptability of making the content creators bend over backward to fit the tech's very demanding and specific needs, probably thinking that it "just" needed to be well-planned ahead of time and it would all be okay. Problem is, nothing is ever quite right the first time around and needs heavy iteration, which in turn requires fast cycles to be effective. When the creation process is slowed to such a glacial speed, it's no wonder Rage felt as incomplete as it did despite 7 years in production.

Sodaholic said:

Just for historical interest and curiosity. Unlikely to ever happen, but if it's not too much trouble, I think they should at least consider it. I'm sure the game sucks, but it'd be cool to take a look at for its own sake.

You're referring to the pre 2013 version, right? I'd like to play it too, or at least see it and laugh at how bad it is.

DooM_RO said:

You're referring to the pre 2013 version, right? I'd like to play it too, or at least see it and laugh at how bad it is.

Yes, I'm referring to what was called "Call of Doom".

No, it will not be cool as long as Doom4 is not released. To have finished new Doom4 and that old game would only rise a stir and misunderstood. It could hurt potential D4 sales and people could take that canceled game by mistake for new one, I'm sure there's lot of pc/console gamers who do not play old doom.
As for Rage and it's engine I think it was cool but took lot of place on HD :) I love those canyons and roads. I only wonder would it be possible to get something that look similar and got that natural look without megatextures.
If some time pass after D4 release ID software could release that canceled game as bonus content, a gift for fans so they could judge by themselves after receiving full experience with D4 that what they have done was a right choice. I would love to play that game, see Crysis-like New York city maps in Doom (or Serious Sam Egypt) and for what's most important see how shooting and demons work. We see lot of nice faces npc, soldiers, less and more devastated towns, but no demons, gore decorations, pentagrams and structures from hell.

Knowing todays id this would never happen. Someone like 3D Realms or 90's id could do this but not id from 2015.