Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Enderkevin13

I Wanna Marry Windows 10 Now

SavageCorona said:

wINDOWS 10 sUCKS. yOU hAVE tO fAFF aROUND wITH sO mUCH bULLSHIT tO mAKE iT wORK tHE wAY a nORMAL hUMAN bEING wOULD wANT iT tO wORK aS wELL aS rEMOVE aLL tHE sHITTY sPYWARE mICROSOFT pUT iN bY dEFAULT

Omg I'll never get over that. Hahahaha.

So, on my new laptop, I can no longer use the built in mouse touch pad thing. It's not broken, it works perfectly fine on boot-up. But about 15 seconds after logging into my Windows 10 account and seeing the desktop, it stops working. I wish I used it more in the first place, I don't remember the problem when I first bought this laptop, but it came with Windows 8.1. Still, I can't remember if I even used the touch pad after downloading Windows 10 for the first week or so. I always use the mouse. Even still, I'm heavily leaning towards "Windows 10 makes mouse touch-pads not work." Thanks Bill, now every PC user can migrate back over to the real, physical mouse master race.

*Edit*
Also:

geo said:

If you ever want to cheat on your new wife... might I recommend Ashley Madison? I hear it is discrete and would never tell anyone.

Wtf? hahaha and our moral fiber flows farther down the tube. Honestly I can't be mad at that company if they are taking advantage of people who lack basic morals already (seriously just call a guy who knows a guy who can take care of "problems" and be done with it... or shoot her on two separate occasions with a crossbow like that one guy). Cheating the cheaters, lol; no honor among thieves.

SYS said:

Thin clients have their own trade offs. It makes sense when most user data including home directories are on a network share that need to load up whenever they authenticate to active directory. And the versatility of being able to log off and log/on on to another and carrying on the exact same instance. Thin client machines are low cost, but then those expenses get allocated into network infrastructure & server hardware. Then that cost immediately doubles with the implementation of a redundant failover server unless you're a fan of crippling downtime.

It's also a question of how self-sufficient individuals should be and how much power and trust should be put into a single group to run everyone's computing for them.

So i know it's changed since it's beta and i did a DDOS test, does it still give out all your VPN information when connected to the internet? Because that was the major problem i had, and why i'm concerned about upgrading to windows 10.

Fonze said:

Also:
Wtf? hahaha and our moral fiber flows farther down the tube. Honestly I can't be mad at that company if they are taking advantage of people who lack basic morals already (seriously just call a guy who knows a guy who can take care of "problems" and be done with it... or shoot her on two separate occasions with a crossbow like that one guy). Cheating the cheaters, lol; no honor among thieves.

I'm just happy its one of the only dating sites that I haven't tried. Not that I've been on one in 4 years.

Sodaholic said:

It's also a question of how self-sufficient individuals should be and how much power and trust should be put into a single group to run everyone's computing for them.

As far as the typical Corporate Fortune 500 Company XYZ, it's a solid investment for the right implementation. As for self sufficiency, it doesn't magically increase or stop the flow of support tickets from end users asking about the same basic issues.

So... the general consensus is that it's a solid OS and totally worth upgrading to, unless you object to Microsoft snooping around your files?

Fonze said:

I'm heavily leaning towards "Windows 10 makes mouse touch-pads not work."

That's about the only problem I've had so far, but it's a big problem.

DoomUK said:

So... the general consensus is that it's a solid OS and totally worth upgrading to, unless you object to Microsoft snooping around your files?

I think that pretty much sums up the current state of things.
Unfortunately that's a rather big gotcha here and I really want more information about what get sent to them.

Graf Zahl said:

Unfortunately that's a rather big gotcha here and I really want more information about what get sent to them.

Pretty much nothing. Apparently the search function will still ping bing with websearch disabled, apparently related to how cortana functions (even with it disabled, although maybe then it's unrelated), however it's only a couple of bytes of data at best. Not enough to contain anything even remotely resembling file snooping.

It's really more telling that you can't find any information about it sending anything malicious. If it was, people would be talking about it en masse. Instead, only own or two articles saying that SearchUI pings msedge. Hardly worth the fanfare.

Windows 10 repaired my receded hairline, cured my grandmother's lymphoma, helped me to lose weight, and introduced me to the woman to whom I've now been happily married for six years. If you install Windows 10, all your wildest will come true.

Jaxxoon R said:

Tell that to every book with a broken spine.

Analog survivability ;-)

Even with tattered pages and no spine, at least you can still read something.

With a digital stream/medium/whatever, with layers of practically impossible-to-break encryption on top of layers of compression and encoding, it's nearly impossible to view the data as anything more than random noise, assuming that there will be anything resembling digital electronics around to make sense of them, of course.

Any Windows 10 user still experiencing VPN issues? I don't seem to get the tray icon yet when I checked the support page my whole set up matched has anyone else experienced that?

fraggle said:

Microsoft monetising Solitaire is the most incredible thing. The kind of thing that would have been in a satirical parody of Microsoft 10 years ago and now it's a reality.

Damn, and I actually thought it was a joke until I saw your post, haha. :/

DoomUK said:

Or deciding what software you can or can't run.

Microsoft should include DOSBox as a utility in every new OS they release. It seems like XP was the last OS where they actually gave a shit about compatibility with older software.

There are a bunch of source ports for classic games and the source ports are no longer maintained/updated. So a lot of classic games are busted, unless the user decides to do some extra research and figure out a fix.

Big Money doesn't want Joe User playing Solitaire or any other old games at work so Joe User be damned along with his old games. All hail the global corporate overlords.

Edward850 said:

Pretty much nothing. Apparently the search function will still ping bing with websearch disabled, apparently related to how cortana functions (even with it disabled, although maybe then it's unrelated), however it's only a couple of bytes of data at best. Not enough to contain anything even remotely resembling file snooping.

It's really more telling that you can't find any information about it sending anything malicious. If it was, people would be talking about it en masse. Instead, only own or two articles saying that SearchUI pings msedge. Hardly worth the fanfare.

But what about the contents of some secure transmissions that are done? Anyone knows what these contain?

SYS said:

As for self sufficiency, it doesn't magically increase or stop the flow of support tickets from end users asking about the same basic issues.

I meant self-sufficient as in sovereign from an external group. Nothing to do with competency, everything to do with freedom and stability.

My concern with software-as-a-service or anything similar is that the users are at all of the operator's whims. The operator could be antagonistic, locking you out of your own files, or they could go out of business. It's a safer bet to operate your own hard/software than to use someone else's.

Graf Zahl said:

But what about the contents of some secure transmissions that are done? Anyone knows what these contain?

See, that's the thing. There's been so little noise about suspicious encrypted data, that it seems pretty safe to so that there is no such issue.

Other than reddit getting huffy about the technical preview sending telemetry data (which of course it fucking does), but then that's reddit for you.

yes, Windows 10 is awesome. Honestly does seem to run games better on my PC far better than Windows 8.1 and 7 and even XP... And overall is easy to use. Only issue is I am stuck with that "failed to update" thing that I need to sort out soon.

Issues i'm having with Windows 10 :
* Apps from Windows Store get stuck on Loading splash screen .
* Getting a little bit lower FPS than usual .
* Some of my favorite programs crash on it .
* Started getting a random Crash on TF2 and Half-Life 2 Deathmatch .
Totally not worth it , i'm gonna roll back to Windows 8.1 later.

Well, after reading some articles and such, i came to a conclusion, which i will show in 3 points.

1.Win 7 users shouldn't ever upgrade to 10, stay with 7 as it is stable, otherwise you'll regret it, check the links in this thread and you'll see why, Win 8 and 8.1 users, upgrade at your own risk, you'll have better functionality and fancy things, however you will have problems, a lot of them, you have been warned.

2.From Win 7, that's where things have been going downhill, so stay away 8, 8.1 and 10, don't mess with something if it isn't broken.

3.But of course, seeing as Microshit is greedy, i guess they have to come up with excuses to gain more money.

To end this, my advice: stick with Win 7 or downgrade if you are using 8, 8.1 or 10.

They have no idea what they're doing with the UI settings. I blame either their arts guys (I like blaming them for knowing nothing about interfaces), or I blame everything else that has customization options. Windows 95 did a better job of that stuff.

They seem to be doing a reasonably good job iterating through designs for the placement of the settings and tools they do want us to be able to use. There are a lot of features in Windows that should be common, but were very hard for people to find even in Windows 7. Some of the things under "folder options" come to mind.

So, Win10 is to Win7 what Vista was to XP, and to Win8 it's what...well, Vista SP2 was to Vista ;-)

Aliotroph? said:

They seem to be doing a reasonably good job iterating through designs for the placement of the settings and tools they do want us to be able to use. There are a lot of features in Windows that should be common, but were very hard for people to find even in Windows 7. Some of the things under "folder options" come to mind.

I remember there was a tool which added a Vista/7-like Start-button search functionality to XP. I swear, if it wasn't so slow compared to the real thing, you could forget that you were still using XP, and could see no point in upgrading to 7 (which I did, eventually, because 64 bits. And no, I was not so hardcore to prefer Windows XP 64-bit instead ;-).

People always seemed confused by that start menu search thing. I keep having to tell people again that they can just type "device manager" in the box. I should try that on 10.

It's funny that you mention making XP act like Vista/7. I know a guy who tries very, very hard to make 7 act like XP. I think 7 is better, but I suspect a lot of people would prefer to revert the start menu to the Win9x days.

After much fiddling, I discovered Windows 10 keeps its "display" (as in not referring to display hardware) settings in two places: in the control panel, and in the settings panel/app/whatever. It's a disastrous mess. One place to control the colour of only limited parts of my windows because I can't be trusted to give myself a good experience, and another place that lets me actually change font sizes (but never the fonts!) to something I can read. The more detailed settings seem to like to reset themselves to their original values or disable themselves sometimes on reboot. Haven't found the pattern there yet.

So then I found the thing to change the desktop colour. It won't let me use my old desktop colour (#0000A0). I've had that colour on all my desktops since 1999. I managed to cheat and load my theme from 7. So far 10 gives me a palette of 24 colours I can't change. Want a bright colour? NO! Bastards.