Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ghastly

[Essay/Article] Monster Placement

I remember you asking me about this years ago! Sorry I didn't have much to add at the time as I was more specialized in making structures and detailing at the time. It's funny though because I could talk about it in excruciating detail now. I skimmed through this a bit and at the moment I don't see anything that I would dispute though. I'll still give it a more thorough read later on. Nice work!

Many thanks for your job on writing this! It was totally worth the reading.

Man that was a great read!

Wish I could type more but my phones in its way out.

If like to see more reads like this made and eventually compiled into a Mapping for Dummies type of thing

I do want to work on an article for designing secrets, as well. Hopefully that one won't take me another four years.

Yeah that one's gonna be completely necessary, heh.

Rule one, if you need your secret to finish the map, maybe it shouldn't be a secret ;p

Thanks for posting this; it's thoughtful, in-depth, and definitely useful, and I look forward to a possible similar article on secret placement in the future too. :)

This is a very good write up and definitely has important lessons many Mappers could learn.

What I'm particularly happy about as an inexperienced Doom mapper working on my first Megawad I already considered majority of those points into my project. It also pleases me to see I'm not the only one with such a mindset. I hate slaughtermaps for its lack of breathing time, overly long difficult maps, repetitive enemies and lack of creativity which fails to keep the player interest to proceed.

There are still a couple points there I need to take on and will definitely return to this article when I work on my later maps. As for the time being, my first 6 maps keeps hordes, large ambushes and turret enemies to a very minimum.

Great article!
I'm looking forward to using the advice a got here on my megawad.

So far, the wad has a major problem in predictability. I'm going to have to redesign some ambushes now.

I am a noob mapper... Until I can figure out why my doors aren't working, and why they are working in weird ways, I wont be able put all the monsters there... BUT, this is very helpful.