Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LanHikariDS

Varia Doom Visor

Varia Doom Visor is a HUD mod for ZDoom, based off of Mike12's Doomvisor mod. It's mostly the same as the Doomvisor, except I did some custom work with the graphics and code, to give it a Metroid Prime theme. It looks best if you set Force Aspect Ratio to 4:3 in ZDoom's video settings
https://www.facebook.com/photo/download/?fbid=1035611089870658
EDIT 8/6/2015: Realigned ammo counters; expanded counters to 3 digits
EDIT 8/8/2016: Completely revamped ammo counters, providing as separate version, in case anyone prefers the more faithful version.

Credits:
Mike12
Nintendo/Retro Studios
Patrik

Download:https://www.dropbox.com/s/f2ungv47skrzszt/VariaDoomVisor.pk3?dl=1

Breezeep said:

I Think It's pretty Cool! Did you post this on the ZDoom Forums?

No I have not. I'll get on that. I actually plan on making a Metroid Prime-based TC, and I figured I might as well post this as a little teaser.

LanHikariDS said:

No I have not. I'll get on that. I actually plan on making a Metroid Prime-based TC, and I figured I might as well post this as a little teaser.

My body is ready.

vadrig4r said:

My body is ready.

Well, sadly, you'll have to wait, Fils-Aime. I've barely scratched the surface in starting this. Still figuring out WHackEd, and what I can/can't do with it. Then I've got to get graphics, monsters, work on the maps... *Sigh* It's a long road ahead for me... I'm hoping I don't end up getting Cease and Desisted... That would suck badly...

LanHikariDS said:

It's a long road ahead for me... I'm hoping I don't end up getting Cease and Desisted... That would suck badly...

I'm pretty sure that won't happen.

AD_79 said:

I'm pretty sure that won't happen.

Nintendo lawyers, seemingly at odds with the rest of the company, can be total bastards.

vadrig4r said:

Nintendo lawyers, seemingly at odds with the rest of the company, can be total bastards.

Reminds Me of the DOOM Alpha Hud.

LanHikariDS said:

Well, sadly, you'll have to wait, Fils-Aime. I've barely scratched the surface in starting this. Still figuring out WHackEd, and what I can/can't do with it. Then I've got to get graphics, monsters, work on the maps... *Sigh* It's a long road ahead for me... I'm hoping I don't end up getting Cease and Desisted... That would suck badly...

At least you don't have the same attitude as some other people where you're like right lads let's make some maps and we'll have a megawad shat out in 2 days and we'll put it on idgames and be rich and famous.

vadrig4r said:

If something like this can exist, I'm fairly certain that this project will be able to exist as well.

SavageCorona said:

At least you don't have the same attitude as some other people where you're like right lads let's make some maps and we'll have a megawad shat out in 2 days and we'll put it on idgames and be rich and famous.

Well, really, I'm the only one actually working on this. I may be borrowing resources (Not without credit, of course) here and there to lessen my workload, but I've still got plenty to do. And, I don't expect to get famous for this alone, but it's a start. Anyways, the way it's going in my head right now, it may only actually be 2-5 large maps, with a couple Deathmatch maps, too, but there's no way I'm going to end up replacing all 32 maps.

AD_79 said:

If something like this can exist, I'm fairly certain that this project will be able to exist as well.

Yeah, I found out about this after I started this project. I'm actually currently using the Samus player sprites from this. (And, technically, Doom Visor uses the same death voice as it does, but I didn't get it from that, I got it right from Prime and converted it myself)

So, when I said I'd fixed the placement for the weapon's ammo count in ZDoom mods that require reloading, it seems I forgot to upload it. Whoops.

No no no, not some device. It's just seeing the Prime hud like this was odd. I mean I wouldn't use it but it looks really nice.

Hoodie said:

No no no, not some device. It's just seeing the Prime hud like this was odd. I mean I wouldn't use it but it looks really nice.

I was just kidding, though I kinda agree, It looks pretty cool but I won't think about using It very much.

Hoodie said:

Well, I can't make you use it. Actually, with my newest project, I somewhat can >:3

it seems a bit weird seeing "beam" and "energy" associated with "ammo" and "health." maybe you could change those words to reflect their Doom counter-parts?

Viscra Maelstrom said:

it seems a bit weird seeing "beam" and "energy" associated with "ammo" and "health." maybe you could change those words to reflect their Doom counter-parts?

Beam shouldn't show up anymore. (There was a brief mishap with the upload where it gave out the old version. Try downloading it again)

I really like seeing the HUD in full like this. Maybe take Fonze's advice about making the rocket fins less rounded on the bottom right icon so it looks less like balls, but overall you've done super well with this, Lan.

Metroid and Doom are two of my favorite games, so this is pretty awesome in my opinion. I wonder if you could have metriod-style maps in doom too, now that would be interesting.

Planet-Of-Doom said:

Metroid and Doom are two of my favorite games, so this is pretty awesome in my opinion. I wonder if you could have metriod-style maps in doom too, now that would be interesting.

As I said when I first released this, I DID want to do a Prime TC (Which has been sitting in my WIP folder collecting dust). It'd probably be, like 4 or 5 Single Player maps, and some DM maps.

Planet-Of-Doom said:

Well, if your going to do Death Match maps then Metroid Prime Hunters might give you some good ideas.

Yeah, I have Hunters. I need to get a base written before I worry about maps, though. Like, it's not just going to be new maps. All new weapons, enemies, textures, etc. I'm essentially making my own Metroid Prime in ZDoom