Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nanomen

GZDoom not working with Windows 10

I tried to play some Smooth Doom Earlier and it gave me a warm, welcome back with this error message

"R_OPENGL: OpenGL drive not accelerated!"

I just recently upgraded to Windows 10, I'm using the same computer with the same hardware, and it started to do this whenever I try to run it. This never happened before on Windows 7; hell, I even tried running Half-Life with the OpenGL renderer just to make sure I had it, and it worked perfectly! What am I doing wrong? Does anyone know how to solve this?

Your issue has nothing to do with Windows 10. Install your video drivers.

Edward850 said:

Your issue has nothing to do with Windows 10. Install your video drivers.

I looked around on the Intel Download Center, and it said that the video drivers should come with the Windows 10 update. My laptop uses a 2nd generation Intel HD Graphics 3000 card, and it was included on the list that came with them. I already double-checked by searching for any possible Windows updates via the settings menu, and it said my system is perfectly up-to-date.

Seems they only have beta drivers available and only through Windows update.

Windows 10 is too early, you suffer the early adopters' problems now. Intel will release some stable drivers eventually. You can use ZDoom instead of GZDoom in the meantime I believe.

Nanomen said:

...Intel Download Center... Intel HD Graphics 3000 card...

I think I found the problem.

Quasar said:

Yeah, I have a really, really awful computer; this thing is almost five years old and I'm about ready to launch it out the fucking window if it freezes one more time.

VGA said:

Seems they only have beta drivers available and only through Windows update.

Windows 10 is too early, you suffer the early adopters' problems now. Intel will release some stable drivers eventually. You can use ZDoom instead of GZDoom in the meantime I believe.

Well, that's just fantastic. I got Windows 10 as early as I did is because I do NOT have $119 to spare; I'm saving up for a new PC and wanted to get it burned on to disk before the free offer ended. I really didn't feel like spending that much on a freaking OS. I guess I could try ZDoom, though; it's not like Zandronum is a very viable option these days.

Anyway, thanks for telling me what was wrong!

Quasar said:

Still, that chipset should be supported. It can run OpenGL 3.3 when most of the integrated chipsets at the time were barely supporting 2.0. It is one of the more popular chipsets according to Steam.

If Windows 10 can't support it, then someone, somewhere, has fucked up.

Perhaps try getting the Windows 8 driver to install? It sounds like Microsoft just isn't shipping the OpenGL library with the included driver.

It appears, that quite a few drivers are missing from the Windows 10 update.

Nanomen said:

.... before the free offer ended.

The offer extends through to June next year.

Question: Why does GZDoom check for and require hardware acceleration in the first place? Software-only OpenGL is slow as molasses (though an old game like Half-Life on a modern CPU might run at an acceptable framerate anyway) but I've never heard of any problems with it besides speed.

"Software-only OpenGL" is OpenGL 1.1 emulation in Windows. That's not exactly going to run GZDoom anytime soon. OpenGL for the past 10 years is otherwise exclusively a hardware API.

There's no such thing as an "exclusively hardware API". You can use a virtual machine to run hardware shaders on an arbitrary CPU just fine. Mesa's been doing it on Linux since forever. I had no idea Windows drivers are so far behind the curve.

It seems a little bit odd since Microsoft always makes sure that Direct3D has a CPU-only path. Sometimes just emulating the little bits your GPU doesn't support.

Foxpup said:

There's no such thing as an "exclusively hardware API".

And you entirely missed the point.

MS were supporting OpenGL back in the day, but decided to ditch it in favour of Direct3D. The legacy of this is that the Windows API has GL 1.1 support, and has a software fallback. Microsoft provide no official support for OpenGL 1.1 beyond that, and as such it is entirely up to video card driver writers to support GL APIs beyond that. Subsequently, projects such as GLEW exist to get the relevant functions from video-driver-provided GL implementations and put them in GL API compliant function pointers.

In practice, GL versions past 1.1 on Windows are exclusively hardware driven thanks to this setup. There's nothing stopping an application shipping a software fallback implementation of GL with it, but in practice no one does that.

Foxpup said:

I had no idea Windows drivers are so far behind the curve.

Dude ... what. Windows has the best driver and hardware support possible at any given time and it won't change any time soon.

This thread is an exception of Intel integrated crap and a Windows OS that just came out.

I don't think Intel integrated graphics are that bad. Everything except GZDoom runs fine on my laptop and it's the only game/engine I'm having issues with.

That statement is utterly meaningless without context as to what "everything" means and what OS you're running it all on.

Moktar said:

I don't think Intel integrated graphics are that bad. Everything except GZDoom runs fine on my laptop and it's the only game/engine I'm having issues with.

These are the latest stable releases of Gzdoom. From the 1.8.x branch and the new 2.x branch
http://forum.drdteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6482

If you are having problems, then it's mostly due to the Intel drivers, you can try posting a detailed bug report in that forum, it's the official Gzdoom forum.

You can also try your luck with the bleeding edge builds:
http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/gzdoom/

Otherwise, use Zdoom ... or one of the other ports like Eternity, Doom Retro etc.

ZDoom builds here:
http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/zdoom/